Kao City?

I’ve been wondering this for a while, but why you do say “Kao City”? Is that common?

I’ve only ever heard (/read) it from you on here, and your posts seem to make up ~90% of the posts using it on Forumosa according to the search function… :thinking:

Cos its hard to spell Kaohsiung everytime , I think Kao city is a good idea.

4 Likes

Yeah, I often need to check the order of the last few vowels too. Just don’t really see anyone else using it, so was curious.

I always liked K town

2 Likes

Also 高市is very common usage in Chinese.

2 Likes

Yeah, I prefer that actually.

1 Like

I prefer ‘beating dog’ Da Gou. It has the ring of truth about it.

is that like beating the bishop? :wink:
what you do in your spare time is up to you

Nope just plain ole beating dogs unfortunately.

Yes, good idea since I am lazy sometimes type ENG. Like IE (Éire) is easy haha. I did a google search Kao City, shows Kaohsiung first (on my phone is second). In Chinese I often do not type full name, use 高市 (google and it works)

Yes, I translate it directly to English, seems people here do like this.

1 Like

I approve…

Are you 13? Quit using filters.

1 Like

That’s 50-something in human years…

1 Like

I’m okay with Kao City, given it has evidently just come straight across from the Mandarin. Anything but the airport code, really, that trend has gone too far. We are not air traffic controllers.

2 Likes

I figure I can add a syllable. How about taKao city?

I think it’s silly. The short version of Taipei City in Chinese is 北市. Shall we use Pei City too? Bei City, Bay City, Pay City…

…which eventually will bring us to Sin Pay City for New Taipei.

:laughing:

1 Like

They’ll help us all get these short place names right in Mandarin. You know, the language of this country and all.

1 Like

Then I will start referring to Taipei as “Pei City” and Taoyuan as “Tao City”.

It’s a free country. You can call Taipei Oz for all I care.