Kaohsiung - A place for expatriates?

i cant imagine why you would need a gun in Taiwan. unless you are a lowlife, who is going to bother you? there is virtually no streetcrime.

i cant imagine why you would need a gun in Taiwan. unless you are a lowlife, who is going to bother you? there is virtually no streetcrime.[/quote]

When there is more streetcrime it will me more of a problem for us because we are not allowed to have guns but they can…

i cant imagine why you would need a gun in Taiwan. unless you are a lowlife, who is going to bother you? there is virtually no streetcrime.[/quote]

When there is more streetcrime it will me more of a problem for us because we are not allowed to have guns but they can…[/quote]

if you really want a gun you could join the taiwanese gangs and then get one?

If pollution is on your mind then lving in Taiwan at all is rediculous.
And in fact pollution down south isn’t really much worse than up in Taipei–depending on the season.
Monitor this website for a few months and you can see: taqm.epa.gov.tw/emc/default.aspx … AreaHourly

A few more links:

High ozone levels pose health hazard, says EPA official

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Yeh added that the ozone density was detected at 222 parts per billion (ppb) at the EPA’s Kuting surveillance station in Taipei last week, marking the highest level in the past decade.

This compares with a normal record of 60ppb in winter and 20ppb in summer in northern Taiwan, he said.

The ozone concentration was detected at 161ppb in the central and southern areas of the country, covering Yunlin, Chiayi and Tainan counties, and at 176ppb in Kaohsiung City and County and in Pingtung County this week, Yeh said.
taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003360530

Friday, Apr 27, 2007
The pollution coming from overseas was found to be worst in the Taipei area, he added.
taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 8425/print

Also some redheaded guys pollution blog here: onlyredheadintaiwan.blogspot.com … /pollution

I dont understand what you’re trying to say Quentin!

He means it’s famously very polluted.

HG

Well, it probably can’t be helped, but it looks like Forumosa is a little top-heavy.

Taipei is Taipei. We know the story. Even for most of us who have lived for years elsewhere in Taiwan, are probably much more familiar with Taipei than other places, large and small, on the island?

What are you favorite things about Kaohsiung? I was there in 2007 after not visiting in many years and was impressed with the improvements, but I do not know the city very well at all. Most of my knowledge is from historical research (Takao, 1860-1895) or from a handful of short term visits in the 1980s & 1990s.

I plan to visit in early July for one day and then again for a week in August. Where should I go and what should I see during my free time there?

Used to think Taipei was the only place to be in Taiwan. And in many ways that is true because you have so much so close to town to see/do. But through the years iv found myself very much enjoying my trips down to K-town. So much so that If and when i can return to live in Taiwan, I would like to live in K-town.

Here’s a website devoted to Kaohsiung and its history:

The Takao Club:
takaoclub.com/

Free caviar and wine all day. But seriously, the way some people talk about places outside of Taipei, it makes me wonder. I guess it really depends on what you want from where you live. I lived in Taipei for a year and a half, don’t miss the place at all.

:thumbsup: Amen brother, after 8 years of Taipei, the only thing I miss is the convenience of shopping everything else can :raspberry:

I don’t like Kaohsiung much. Prefer Tainan. Though having an MRT is very nice…

I know, I know. In Taichung it’s truffles and foie gras. But not every day – only weekends and holidays.

I know, I know. In Taichung it’s truffles and foie gras. But not every day – only weekends and holidays.[/quote]

served by reformed gangsters in drag.

They’re reformed now? That’s new. Taiwan keeps changing – hard to keep up.

I wonder after living in Taipei for almost 30 years whether I could get used to Kaoshiung. I have visited KHH many times but this is a long time ago. At that time the best thing on KHH was the freeway number one to Taipei or their airport to go back to Taipei.

My family of a Taiwanese spouse and a 15 years old German son and being myself a German. Our son wants to study hotel/hospitalities and the best school/university without doubt is in Kaohsiung. Besides that the rental for a flat or a house is much cheaper than downtown Taipei. But could I survive there? I am so much used to Taipei with so much benefits like nice pubs, restaurants, English speaking community, good hospitals etc.

Anyone to convince me to go South? I know the benefits of Ken Ting national Park etc. but…?

I appreciate your positive and/or negative input.

Bunch of wankers. But to be honest they’re worse up North.

You’ve been fer 30 years and have yet to work this out?

Khh is at the end/start of the high speed railway: Khh is now only 90 min away from Taipei. Young folks and their technology. I remember the days when I had to walk to school in the…

Khh on the UP! Bright beautiful lights everywhere!

Visit the potential residential areas after it rains: stinky? flooding?

Be aware of them scooter gangs - they will get ya or they will scare ya!

Plenty of pubs and expat traps.

Air quality / water pollution indexes will be the main factor in my decision making process. Got health/breathing problems: don’t go

grc22 - Thanks your advice. I have a health and especially breathing problems (guess) from the time TPE was dirty a decade ago or so.
Recently I saw so many bright lights in KHH on a certain TV channel. Maybe the only bright lights like an empty MRT etc. I have no conficence in DPP and that might be another reason I am so reluctant to move to KHH.

The pollution is certainly better than it was several years ago, but it’s still a really big problem. If you ever check the air quality index, Kaohsiung City frequently has the highest PSI in the country. Sometimes it’s moderate, but quite often it’s unhealthy. Kaohsiung’s driving culture probably won’t die out or improve for a very long time. Not only does it have scooters and cars everywhere (on the streets, on the wrong sides of the road, on the sidewalks and in the parks) there are still old scooters and blue trucks too precious to discard that leave thick exhaust trailing behind them for blocks. Without question, I’ve developed some breathing problems since I moved here. Oh how I miss fresh air and walking around without a mask on my face.

And as for the bright lights, they’re mostly for show. Everything is friggin’ lit up, and aside from the Love River, it’s all hideous. I actually wish they’d turn those damned things off.