Kaohsiung burger wars

Correct.

1 Like

I thought Taiwan was the only place where any sandwich on a bun was called a “burger.” I had never encountered this before I moved here. It’s a major pet peeve of mine. Burger is short for hamburger, which is a ground beef patty. Or, in recent years, something that’s attempting to replicate the texture and flavor of a ground beef patty, like a veggie burger. Any random meat like a chicken breast on bread is a sandwich. Whether the bread is rounded on top or not is neither here nor there.

The US is the only place I know of that calls a chicken burger a chicken “sandwich”.

Maybe it is, in Canada chicken salad on a bun would not be considered a burger :man_shrugging:

It’s funny how language works like this. Did you know angel food cake is not food for angels and contains precisely 0% ground up angels?

1 Like

FTFY. Don’t know what to tell you except maybe travel more?

Burger is short for hamburger which is short for hamburger sandwich. They are made of hamburger meat, just like chicken sandwiches are made of chicken, ham sandwiches are made of ham, and tuna salad sandwiches are made of tuna salad. All these are regardless of the type of bread you use, because they are named after what’s between the bread.

Even if Angel food isn’t made of angels.

Edit: I do realize, as I think about it, that Chinese speakers are probably automatically substituting the the word “burger” for “bao” when translating which kind of makes sense, I guess. But then other types of bao get translated to bun or dumpling, so…

Do Taiwanese people (and Canadians, apparently?) call a ham sandwich on a bun a “ham burger”? Because that’s really confusing.

Where else have you seen a chicken burger called a chicken sandwich?

McDonald’s calls it “McChicken Sandwich” in the US, but only “McChicken” in Australia, NZ, Canada, Hong Kong, China, Singapore, Dubai, and Taiwan (possibly other places).

If they called it McChicken Sandwich in those places, people would wonder why it comes in a burger bun.

So they don’t call it the McChicken Burger, do they? I bet the Filet-O-Fish Sandwich isn’t called the Filet-O-Fish Burger, either, is it? It’s clearly called a sandwich on McDonald’s own website, despite being on a bun. Because that’s what it is. Even an actual burger (hamburger) is a sandwich, because it is meat between two pieces of bread.

This is stupid. You can think a chicken sandwich is a burger. Knock yourself out. Taiwanese will love you. I’m moving on with my life. :joy:

As I said, not cold cuts

English is a confusing language. British people have boots on their cars!

1 Like

Actually, when I worked at McDonald’s, we called them fish burgers…

Sandwich is an umbrella term. And before you get confused, that does not mean it is raining hoagies!

Sandwich can also be a verb, watch out!

:ok_hand:

1 Like

McDonald’s just calls it “McChicken” in those countries, but everybody else calls it a chicken burger. They don’t just call it “chicken”.

I’m seeing a trend here. Seems to me that rather than accepting the fact that different countries are allowed call things differently, you think only ‘Murica is allowed to be right about everything and everybody else is wrong.

Eh, not really. I’ve seen chicken burger, turkey burger, buffalo burger, lamb burger, and even venison burger as menu items in the states.

2 Likes

Man, if the only kind of ham sandwich you’ve ever had was with the cold cut version of ham, you’re really missing out.

Yes, and every one of those had ground meat, because they were trying to approximate a hamburger with a ground beef substitute (as I mentioned with veggie burgers), right? Don’t forget ostrich. That one is actually a pretty decent red meat substitute, unlike turkey or chicken.

I had a McYak burger once in Sichuan/Gansu, definitely not even a McDonald’s but definitely yak meat!

I seem to recall it was slices…

1 Like

Nope, I’ve also had thick slices of ham (cold, leftover from ham I cooked). The thing is, I wouldn’t buy buns for that
:man_shrugging:

This must be heresy for you!

Gotta say, I am a +1 on ostrich meat. Seems to have gone down hill a bit in Taiwan recently, but normally the ostrich here is fabulous!

Most hot things in a bun are called a burger in Australia. Sandwiches in Australia aren’t in hamburger buns they are traditionally between two slices of bread either fresh or toasted and more recently could be between a sourdough bun. I find it weird when americans refer to burgers as sandwiches. In my experience only americans do this, or countries which traditionally do not have western food yet are heavily influenced by the US.

3 Likes

Was it good?

Or is the “once” part of your post the key word? :joy:

Guy