Kaohsiung MRT

I loved Taichung when I was studying at Tunghai in the late 1980’s, but it seems to have really gone downhill since. A shame, though I still think parts of it are very nice.

But I’m still looking forward to the Kaohsiung MRT, though every time they announce an opening date it gets pushed back. I think making it available for Hsieh to help his campaign is probably a big factor in the latest push, but I hope they don’t cut too many corners to realize this. That said, the MRT made a huge difference in Taipei, and I hope it can do the same to Kaohsiung in the future.

Whinging bloody Pommie. You should be more grateful; you got an international airport, an improved seaport, and you almost got a Guggenheim museum!! :slight_smile:[/quote]

I’m no Pommie, I’m the latest in Scot/Welsh hybrid technology.

I honestly can’t understand why the average Taichungian loves old Hu. Whatever potential Taichung had has been turned into a mountain of seedy KTVs and dodgy backhander projects. People here do feel the decline but somehow manage to blame everyone except the bloody mayor - the DPP, the president, the KMT, dogs, foreigners, fat people, China etc.

Maybe because it started long, long before Hu was elected?

[quote=“llary”]I honestly can’t understand why the average Taichungian loves old Hu.[/quote]They don’t. The only people who I’ve ever heard say anything positive about the fat fuck are deep-blues from other cities who only read / watch deep-blue media. Obviously they all trumpet the poison dwarf as the best thing since instant noodles, but we who have lived in Taichung since before his tenure know better.

And he has only has 6 years to make an impact. Poor fellow.

Well, it took some time for the city to degrade after the paradise it was under Zhang Wen-ying’s time, I guess.

I would honestly say that in her first term, having lived in Taichung for nearly 20 years, she was the best mayor this city had. At least she made some positive efforts to improve traffic, law and order and basic services in the city, rather than simply line her own pockets or carry on like some great patron of the arts for her own selfish ends. No she wasn’t perfect, but compared to her bookends she still looks pretty damn good. Too bad her scumbag husband went and messed things up, and too bad she let him. Too bad she backed down from her crime sweeps in the face of death threats. Too bad she decided to run for a second term having decided to hide in her office, and a crying shame she ran as an independent and split the vote for Micheal Tsai. I can only wonder how much better the place would be now if he’d gotten elected. Poor Taichung. :frowning:

Maybe I just have weird friends but I’ve not met a single person with a bad word to say about the man. He could be a serial rapist and as long as he kept mentioning his wife everyone would carry on supporting him with gusto. I must sound like a seething maniac whenever I talk about him but I don’t see how you can complain about problems localised to a city without bringing up city government.

I took a look at three stations and had a short ride on the KMRT on Friday.

NICE !!1

Excellent CF. The KMRT looks like it’s the greenest place in the city now.

The stations look amazing - much better than Taipei. There’s one station that’s still being built, but it’s going to look incredible when it’s finished, at least on the outside.

That’s great. I like Kaohsiung and think it will be the better, more liveable city in the future (maybe 10 years). This will go a long way to making that happen.

Does anyone actually know when these lines are being fully opened yet? I’ve seen the outside of the stations there and they look pretty cool…should really improve the city. But nobody seems to have an answer for when it opens…even within a month or 2.

From the China Post, 21 February 2008

[quote]KAOHSIUNG, Taiwan – The Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit Bureau (KMRTB) filed an application for second phase inspection of the north section of its Red Line, hoping that it can begin service as early as next month.

[…]

“We hope the second inspection can be done before the end of February, so that the Red Line can begin operating in early March,” he said.

The south section of the Red Line already passed two phases of inspection.[/quote]

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/2008 … ng-MRT.htm

I am sure there is a lot of pressure on to have it running before the Presidential election so Hsieh can get some good publicity out of it.

Nice detective work wix, thanks.

From the Taipei Times today:

Kaohsiung MRT’s Red Line gets the green light

The article suggests it will open next Wednesday, although it is not entirely clear. The article also contains a big mistake. The date of the Presidential election is 22 March not 12 March.

According to this report it’ll open on Sunday March 9, with Chen Shui-bian taking a ride. It’ll be free for the public from March 9 until April 6

When Taipei MRT just got finished I heard that it was dangerous to ride in it, land underneath collapse, tram not working and everything. I am about 5 min near one of the Kaohsiung MRT stop here and they just had a announcement that, from tomorrow on we all can ride it for free for a month, do you guys think it’s safe? maybe I should wait 2,3 month later then ride it? Taipei MRT had a lot of problems didn’t it?