Kaohsiung Neighborhoods?- Living and Working

They’re both boring as f. Taichung is boring with good weather.

That’s what adds to it being boring.
No typhoons to liven things up.
If you like restaurants we are the Taiwan’s capital, restaurants everywhere.

At least ktown has Cijin island and love river.
Taichung… nothing :frowning:

1 Like

If Cijin and the Love River are your best sources of civic pride that’s pretty much case closed it’s not a place to be if you can help it.

Plus whoever designed the freeway ramps was either high on meth or playing a sadistic joke or both.

re: Restaurants: Please give me some names!

1 Like

I don’t know, I’m poor and only eat $50nt BianDangs. But I’m assured by locals that the restaurant market here is amazing.

I’m at a loss to describe one positive about Taichung as a case for civic pride.
Nantou is nearby? I guess

Gonna move to Yilan next year.

2 Likes

I liked some of the neighbourhoods in Taichung, donghai, soho area, 7th district, Beitun, Sculpture park , Xitun, citizens park, art museum, science museum areas I found had plenty of variety A bit hard to get around without a car though .
I also liked fengyuan bike path. Taichung county wasn’t great but changhua county was interesting in some parts. Loved Nantou county being a quick ride from Taichung! Great for getting south or north for the weekend and then doing home with no traffic jam, unlike Taipei!

I love the harborside in Kaohsiung , being close to hengchun and chiayi and Tainan is pretty cool too.

1 Like

Best thing about Taichung is some really great hotels. Hotel One is awesome, Millenium very good. And some motels that are epic, old school chinese style decor with swimming pools in rooms etc.

Neither city is really that awesome when it comes down to it.

Taichung’s Intercontinental baseball stadium is the best in the country if you’re into that sort of thing.

That said, if Xiao Liu Qiu island is considered part of KHH that’s a really awesome place to visit. Not sure if that counts tho.

Yilan is pretty. Much rather live there than either Taichung or KHH. The east coast is where its at here.

Good luck with the move!

1 Like

No A/C in the classrooms? Dear Lord

Same in most of the country including new Taipei city.

That’s the same for most of Taiwan.

1 Like

Pretty much agree, although Tainan can be pretty cool in parts–has a viable beach and lots of old school temples, cool back alleys etc. Parts of Taipei are cool, esp the less pretensious old school area around Da Dao Cheng. Ximending and their attempts at cosmopolitan city life don’t really translate well.

The lack of a good music and art scene makes it challenging on a long term basis.

Bottom line is Taiwan is great but not really a place to go for fun urban experiences. The natural beauty on the east coast and in the natural areas outside the city are what make it great. If urban fun is what people are after, there are much more suitable travel destinations. It’s more residential and better for people that want a quiet comfortable family life at a reasonable cost.

Just as a point of interest where in Asia is there a good music and art scene?

and each person has their own taste in music and art (or lack thereof), so to each their own

1 Like

I actually agree there’s very little live music in Taiwan in general, but I’m very curious as to which city in Asia has a great live music scene?

I heard Tokyo has some great live shows.

I visited often but I haven’t seen any live music on the streets or the bars.

Japan!

Where in Japan?

I’ve heard Roppongi and some other places in Tokyo have some great live music venues, but I haven’t been. Seoul also has a pretty good scene.

Hi Seren,

I read almost everyone’s comments here on your page, and I had to make a profile. I been traveling to Kaohsiung for the pass 5 years, and I’m at the point that I’m thinking of getting a place here. I travel extensively from home (Los Angeles) to HK, Shanghai, Saigon and Barcelona. the Company I work for, has a HQ here in Kaohsiung and Taipei.

I like the Zuoying Dist, but what districts do you recommend for me to see, what does a studio run for monthly and are utilities included in some places?

Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you

Kai Sa.

KaiSa-
I haven’t made the leap yet. My next trip to scout things out is next month.
I do wish you luck in your search!

Sincerely,
Siren