Kaohsiung Scooter Driving Test

If you want to ride a scooter in Kaohsiung, don’t think that a Taiwanese scooter license or experience in Taipei riding count for anything. Take the Kaohsiung Scooter Driving Test to see if you have what it takes to ride a scooter in Kaohsiung.

1. If your scooter is a 25-year-old 2-stroke scooter that emits more pollution than a steel factory and the government is offering a $20,000 incentive to trade that pile of junk in for a new 4-stroke scooter, you:

a) You can’t take advantage of the offer, because you would never ride a scooter past a decade.
b) Don’t trade it in… after all, it still gets you from A to B, even if your trail of smoke can be seen from space.
c) Definitely take advantage of the offer; it’s a great deal and you needed a new scooter for a while.

1. If you come upon a red light and it seems that there are no vehicles coming, you:

a) Stop behind the solid white line.
b) Slow down a little, but otherwise go through - nobody’s coming!
c) Stop with your front wheel just a tad over the solid white line.

1. If you come upon an amber light, but then it turns red before you’re anywhere near the intersection, you:

a) Well, you already stopped.
b) Blast through the intersection, beeping your horn to warn others that you’re coming. Maybe beep, maybe not.
c) You blasted through while it was amber and by the time it’s red, you had almost cleared the intersection.

1. If you have to stop for a red light (because the intersection is much too busy to just proceed), where do you stop?

a) Behind the white stopping line.
b) As far into the intersection as possible. Maybe on the zebra crossing, maybe in the two-step turn box, and if the intersection is small enough, right in the middle.
c) With one wheel over the white stopping line.

1. If you’re waiting at an intersection and you know the light is about to turn green, what do you do?

a) Wait until it turns green before going.
b) Start going, of course. Doesn’t matter if perpendicular traffic is known to run solid red lights.
c) Rev your engine, it’s time to go!

1. Traffic is quite heavy, but it looks like there’s no one on the sidewalk.

a) And your point is?
b) Ride onto the sidewalk… even if there are people there, they won’t say anything.
c) Only ride onto the sidewalk if nobody is there.

1. You need to go 250 metres down the street, on the same side of the street, but the direction is opposite to traffic flow.

a) Make a left turn, and ride on the correct side of the road, making another left turn to your destination.
b) Ride down the wrong side of the road… not on the sidewalk, on the street. Maybe, also on the sidewalk.
c) Only ride down the wrong side of the road if your bag of Betel Nut is securely in your pocket.

1. You’re riding 20 km/h in the scooter-only lane.

a) You wouldn’t ride that slow.
b) Ride right in the middle, making it impossible for others to pass.
c) Ride to one side, letting others pass.

1. You’re a really old lady and never ride faster than 20 km/h. How do you make sure to get to your destination smoothly?

a) Take a taxi.
b) Just ride really slowly, running every red light you come across. Make sure that you re-pass other vehicles waiting at the red light that passed you earlier.
c) Get your son to ride you places.

1. You’re just riding in a straight line.

a) Your line is very straight.
b) Slowly drift from left to right in an incomprehensible pattern.
c) Cut other scooters off suddenly and without warning.

1. It’s time to park your scooter. Where do you park?

a) In designated parking spots.
b) In the most convenient place for you. Doesn’t matter if your scooter is blocking the main entrance or a fire exit.
c) On the sidewalk, as long as there are other scooters doing the same.

1. Your scooter makes a loud squealing noise every time you brake.

a) That wouldn’t happen, because you get your brakes serviced regularly.
b) Good. It took forever for that noise to develop; it’s a good audible warning that I’m coming and anyway, I’m used to it.
c) Change your brake pads when the squealing is unbearable.

1. How do you make a left turn at a two-step left-turn intersection?

a) Proceed right, into the two-step turn waiting box.
b) Proceed left, to the nearest street corner so that you can go when no cars are coming and can block right-turning traffic at the same time.
c) Maybe use the waiting box, maybe just turn left like a car.

1. What kind of helmet should you buy?

a) The best helmet you can afford, but surely not something below a certain safety standard.
b) More than NT$100 is too much… heck, the helmet doesn’t even need to be Styrofoam-lined - a plastic shell will do.
c) An NT$650 helmet is good enough.

1. How should you wear your helmet?

a) Make sure it fits properly and strap it on tightly.
b) As long as it doesn’t fall off your head. It might fall, but just pick it up and slap it back on top of that non-functioning noggin’.
c) Strap it up, but only very loosely. You don’t want the slightest amount of discomfort, after all.

1. It’s quite dark out, what do you do?

a) Turn on the scooter lights.
b) Nothing. Why are you asking me this?
c) Maybe turn on the scooter lights… if they work. If they do work, high-beams!

1. It’s getting quite hard to start your scooter.

a) Take it to a mechanic to get the problem resolved.
b) Spend a progressively longer and longer time trying to start your scooter each time. Only take it to a mechanic if it takes longer than 20 minutes and 15 attempts to start.
c) Take it to a mechanic when the problem gets more than inconvenient.

1. Your tires are getting bald.

a) Wouldn’t happen. You changed those things as soon as the grip wasn’t optimal.
b) Bald is not any reason to change a perfectly usable tire.
c) I’ll change it when it’s smooth.

1. Some of your lights don’t work.

a) As soon as a bulb goes out, I get it changed.
b) In fact, none of them work!
c) I’ll change it when I have the time…

1. You’re a teenager and want to buy a stylish scooter.

a) Choose one that I like.
b) Choose the Kymco Many; all the other douchebag teenagers are riding it. If you can afford the bling-bling Swarovski Crystal package, all the better.
c) Get one of the “racing” scooters. This is the most excitement in your daily life, anyway.

1. What is the first modification on your scooter?

a) Better tires. Otherwise, a scooter is only an A-to-B type of transportation; modifying it would be simply embarrassing!
b) Stick-on plastic diamonds from the $10 store and a high-pitched horn; like the horns used on tour buses in China.
c) A really loud exhaust pipe; the louder the better. People don’t need sleep and I don’t need my eardrums.

If you answered mostly:

a) - You’re not suited to riding in Kaohsiung, much less Taiwan at all! Go back to your neat-and-organized traffic system. GTFO!
b) - Congratulations, you passed the KSDT with flying colours. You can start riding immediately, but you’ve probably been riding for years already.
c) - Unfortunately, it seems you’re only suited to riding in Taipei. Kaohsiung and other cities are not suitable for your type of riding habits.

1 Like

That sounds about right. There really is a huge difference between how people drive in Taipei vs Kaohsiung. It’s a whole different world up here.

Don’t forget, that if you are not driving 100km/h + on Minzu Rd, you will get run right off the road by everyone else driving their douchbag Many. :smiley:

I shouldn’t laugh too much, I “might” be guilty of some of these minor indiscretions at times. :angel:

1 Like
  1. (b) What’s 20 000 when a new rig costs 70 000. I’d be down 50 000 for something that’s just driving me to work every day.

2. This sounds like a trick question. There is no mention of whether or not you see the police officers and their red flags in the distance. Still gonna go with (b)

3. Again, the beeping part depends on what’s in your field of vision. If you see the cabbie looking at your yellow and know he’s gonna try and get out of the blocks early, then you beep like a mo…fu… If the coast looks clear, you just run for it. I’ll go with (b) again.

4. Almost definitely (b). But again, depends on where the front scooter at the intersection is. You absolutely have to claw your way to the front. You don’t want to breathe the fumes of others and you want to be the first one away when the lights of the lights of the perpendicular road turn yellow.

5. (b). See above.

6. Since I need to pass this test in K-town, I’m gonna go with (b). Though I know one local who might go with © since the night he got behind me on the sidewalk and blew his horn for me to get out of the way.

7. (b). But keep to the far inside, even if cyclists think that is their safe territory.

8. This question is age discriminatory! (a) if you are under 40 and male or under 30 and female. Otherwise (b).

9. (b). I regret to say that my wife has ridden a scooter like this since I met her when she was 25.

10. (b) Even if there is no other traffic, it’s just fun.

11. Duh! (b) again. I’m starting to notice a trend. If I’m not sure, I’m definitely going with (b). I may go back and change some answers. Oh, wait, they are all B

12. Now I eat my foot. I have to go with ©. Depends on what’s more unbearable though, the noise or parting with the 150NT to get it fixed.

13. Depending on the risk of loss of life, ©.

14. Damn! Another trick question, but I’m sure the answer is (b). As long as that 100NT helmet keeps the police from fining you.

15. Again, it’s not your skull you are trying to protect, but your 500NT that the government might try to steal from you. (b)

16. Hmmm… Do the street lights allow ME to see where I’M going? I’ll go with ©. Unless I’m on a dark country road and need to see obstacles.

17. © No-brainer. Never mind your neighbors polite suggestions that you should go to a mechanic, either. What does their sleep matter to you?

18. See question 1. The same rules apply to tires as scooters in general. (b)

19. © “I’ll change it when I have the time…” …which is never.

20. © Let’s not tar all with the same brush.

21. Another trick question, the answer is (b) and ©.

Shit! I went through them without looking at the bottom! Oh well, I’m not changing my answers now.

repeat

[quote=“dan2006”]That sounds about right. There really is a huge difference between how people drive in Taipei vs Kaohsiung. It’s a whole different world up here.

Don’t forget, that if you are not driving 100km/h + on Minzu Rd, you will get run right off the road by everyone else driving their douchbag Many. :smiley:

I shouldn’t laugh too much, I “might” be guilty of some of these minor indiscretions at times. :angel:[/quote]

Hahaha… Minzu Road! Bo’ai… I hate riding on those streets!!!

You can be forgiven, because if you can’t beat 'em, join 'em. As long as you don’t ride a Kymco Many. If you do… you cannot be forgiven. :smiley:

[quote=“navillus”]1. (b) What’s 20 000 when a new rig costs 70 000. I’d be down 50 000 for something that’s just driving me to work every day.

1. This sounds like a trick question. There is no mention of whether or not you see the police officers and their red flags in the distance. Still gonna go with (b)

2. Again, the beeping part depends on what’s in your field of vision. If you see the cabbie looking at your yellow and know he’s gonna try and get out of the blocks early, then you beep like a mo…fu… If the coast looks clear, you just run for it. I’ll go with (b) again.

3. Almost definitely (b). But again, depends on where the front scooter at the intersection is. You absolutely have to claw your way to the front. You don’t want to breathe the fumes of others and you want to be the first one away when the lights of the lights of the perpendicular road turn yellow.

4. (b). See above.

5. Since I need to pass this test in K-town, I’m gonna go with (b). Though I know one local who might go with © since the night he got behind me on the sidewalk and blew his horn for me to get out of the way.

6. (b). But keep to the far inside, even if cyclists think that is their safe territory.

7. This question is age discriminatory! (a) if you are under 40 and male or under 30 and female. Otherwise (b).

8. (b). I regret to say that my wife has ridden a scooter like this since I met her when she was 25.

9. (b) Even if there is no other traffic, it’s just fun.

10. Duh! (b) again. I’m starting to notice a trend. If I’m not sure, I’m definitely going with (b). I may go back and change some answers. Oh, wait, they are all B

11. Now I eat my foot. I have to go with ©. Depends on what’s more unbearable though, the noise or parting with the 150NT to get it fixed.

12. Depending on the risk of loss of life, ©.

13. Damn! Another trick question, but I’m sure the answer is (b). As long as that 100NT helmet keeps the police from fining you.

14. Again, it’s not your skull you are trying to protect, but your 500NT that the government might try to steal from you. (b)

15. Hmmm… Do the street lights allow ME to see where I’m going? I’ll go with ©. Unless I’m on a dark country road and need to see obstacles.

16. © No-brainer. Never mind your neighbors polite suggestions that you should go to a mechanic, either. What does their sleep matter to you?

17. See question 1. The same rules apply to tires as scooters in general. (b)

18. © “I’ll change it when I have the time…” …which is never.

19. © Let’s not tar all with the same brush.

20. Another trick question, the answer is (b) and ©.

Shit! I went through them without looking at the bottom! Oh well, I’m not changing my answers now.[/quote]

Congratulations! You qualify for a Kaohsiung Scooter Driver’s License, or KSDL.

You only needed 11 or more questions to be b) and you would qualify. However, you also qualify for a Taipei Scooter Driver’s License, or TSDL. You get dual privileges!

The Scooter Driver’s License Board, or SDLB, recognizes your effort in taking this test, so bestows upon seven generations of your ancestors license-free scooter driving privileges.

Shawn_C, I laughed my arse off at the original post. I have a 50 minute commute through the worst Kaohsiung traffic every day and see SOOO much of the (b) answer types.

Funny stuff Shawn.

Thanks, guys! I actually wanted to make an interactive Kaohsiung or Taiwan Driving Test Simulator (with graphics and stuff), but… my programming skills are not quite there, yet.

It would be like: you’d be piloting a scooter and suddenly beep, beep, beep, time to make a decision. You need to make a left turn and your light is red…

I think it would make for a successful app. on iOS or Android. Also, I could just change the name to “Vietnam Driving Test Simulator” or “Philippines Driving Test Simulator” or “Thailand Driving Test Simulator” and it’d make big bucks in all markets!

1 Like

This was pretty funny. But, for real madness, try driving in Tainan.

Anyway, im not here to revive a 10 year old tbread, but a Q.

I need a new scooter. On FB i keep seeing ads for scooters, 3 payments, deliver anywhere and…

“No need to transfer name”

What does this mean? Who really owns this scooter? what happens when i get stopped and the po po scan the plates?

Thanks for bringing up old memories, Southernboy! I almost cannot recall writing all this.

“No need to transfer name” means that it’s likely a “foreigner ghost scooter”. It was registered to some foreigner that has long left the country and keeps getting passed down amongst foreigners.

I hope some else can chime in, too, but from what I recall (I left Taiwan in 2014): it’s legally not yours, you can’t register it or renew the license plates, if it gets stolen you’re SOL, but the police don’t care about vehicle registration, only your license to ride. If no one else replies, then perhaps post a new thread?

reddit.com/r/Taiwan is also a great place to discuss such matters!

2 Likes

This is a good thread regarding the ghost scooters!: Selling / Disposing of scooter without paperwork

1 Like

The police have been cracking down on these a lot, some police cars have numberplate recognition. You can also be done for riding without insurance if it’s not up to date, also emissions test.
They can impound the scooter and you’re left on the street with your helmet and a fine.

1 Like

it’s brilliant btw. I’m a total local by the looks of things.

1 Like

Many years ago I had a cop car turn around and follow me driving a ghost scooter so I assume some of those road cameras are plate recognition. The cops seeing I was a foreigner drove off. I didn’t know the cops can check too now in their cars.

I went legit a long time ago though, didn’t want any hassles

1 Like

Welcome to being a local! It looks like others are advising not to get a scooter without papers!!!

Legit is the way to go! It’s not really much more expensive, either.

1 Like

Wow, interesting! The Taiwanese police are doing their jobs, finally!!!

At that time I didn’t have an ARC. Then when I got the ARC I was too lazy to get the licence. Got pulled over regularly and never a ticket. Then finally realized it was a dumb idea lol

:joy::joy::relaxed: