Kaohsiung to Host Worldpride 2025 (CANCELLED)

When I looked into a gender neutral third person pronoun character in Chinese a few months ago (trying to be a step ahead of the American students I was pretty sure I’d be having this coming fall, in the US, given the China sabre rattling that obviously didn’t stop my return to TW in the end), I found that the majority of Chinese still consider transgender people to be “mentally diseased”. Though I suppose China isn’t the only place with a population that believes that… but China has like a 9/100 for humans rights…

1 Like

Slightly different perspective.

InterPride said “We were confident a compromise could have been reached with respect to the long-standing WorldPride tradition of using the host city name. We suggested using the name ‘WorldPride Kaohsiung, Taiwan’,” it added."

Sounds like Taiwan was welcome to have an excuse to back out.

1 Like

Nothing to do with China - the event always contain the city name:

Kaohsiung pulled out, not Interpride:

3 Likes

That’s answered that one :+1:

Could be a very visible event for Kaohsiung and Taiwan and bring in lots of money to the economy.

Screw all that says taiwan.

The above suggests they were using the naming issue as a smokescreen,
and the real issue was something they were trying to change, compared to what was promised in their bid. Just exploring that idea a little further, I wonder what they were trying to change. Could it have been imposing masks or some other sort of unscientific Covid related proclamation?

1 Like

You’re right, the third paragraph is probably the reason for the pullout, rather than the second paragraph.

A guarantee of no quarantine for visitors arriving from other Asian countries?

I wonder if there are any new developments with this event.

Since this is pride month in Taiwan seems it would have a little bit more focus by both groups and individuals that care.

2 Likes