Kaohsiung to Host Worldpride 2025 (CANCELLED)

Brings lots of $ into local economy.

6 Likes

CANCELLED by the one of the greatest most open proud non-cancelling groups.

They won’t accept the word “Taiwan”.

I guess they’re proud of that.

6 Likes

Since they are worried about what China thinks so much, maybe they’d have better luck hosting Worldpride in China.

13 Likes

Some quotes from Interpride website

“Human Rights are one of the key areas InterPride focuses on.”

“Prides in hostile environments or Pride organizers who face persecution or violent attacks can also count on the support of InterPride”

“Pursuing and safeguarding the right to assembly, the freedom of speech, and the freedom of expression as fundamental rights for visible and safe Pride events.”

“Showing solidarity and organizing campaigns for those in hostile environments or suffering from Human Rights violations in the context of Pride.”

6 Likes

somebody got paid off… disgraceful

1 Like

“All previous WorldPride events have been named based on their host cities, including WorldPride Copenhagen-Malmo 2021 and Sydney WorldPride 2023, but Kaohsiung was trying to set a new precedent by calling its event WorldPride Taiwan 2025.”

Why not just stick with precedent? :thinking:

6 Likes

I guess Ka-OH-see-ung isn’t necessarily the easiest city to pronounce even for Anglais speakers. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

It also doesn’t have name recognition. But I think we need to wait and see if these WorldPride people make this exception for another city before we gang up on them and accuse them of bending to China’s will.

1 Like

Having been a recent participant in the Taipei Pride Games we’re not missing much. Now that was a farcical event. We turned up for the footy tournament to discover there was only one opposition team and they’d pulled out. We asked to join the lower division of games they said no. We asked for our money back they said no. We asked for our medals they said no.

3 Likes

Seems unnecessary for a homosexual pairing. Anyways, couldn’t you just play with yourselves?

1 Like

Technically Taiwan is the name of a city, someone just decided that’s the new name for the whole island and renamed the original Taiwan to Tainan city, which used to include Takao as one of its districts.

3 Likes

If China takes Taiwan, will gay marriage still be allowed?

2 Likes

Yea I heard weird stuff about big organizations that supposedly care about LGBT rights that don’t actually care. Kinda like a certain autism organization still views autism as a disease to be cured instead of a distinction to be celebrated…

1 Like

Yeah, some autism researchers will even hide that their children have autism. Even when they say people should accept neurodivergence.

“should accept” is a tricky concept because it’s, very often, morally right but how do we make it happen in a fair way?

I think they do care about LGBT rights, only specific LGBT rights. It’s similar to feminists who are accused of only supporting the rights of wealthy women. Leaning in, kind of thing. This sounds like an organisation that is only interested in the rights of wealthy LGBT people in San Francisco who work in some kind of online business. I could be wrong, though.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, I wasn’t clear enough with my wording. I meant accepting in the sense of “it exists, and it’s not necessarily a pathology”. I should have said “acknowledge” instead.

1 Like

InterPride, did not accept the use of 'Taiwan" in the event’s name, they said in a statement Friday

WAH-oh. A Pride organization kow-towing to China? I was under the impression that if there were anything that could hurt the feelings of the Chinese people more than the idea that Taiwan is an independent nation, it would be the ideas that men can love men, women can love women, and that gender exists on a binary. I just can’t quite wrap my head around the idea that CCP hate managed to get into an organization that stands for everything the CCP is against…

2 Likes

What a slap in the face to Taiwan. I hope people catch on to what they did.

1 Like

Yea not too long ago homosexuality was considered a disease in China (to be fair homosexuality was a criminal offense in many Western countries until the mid 20th century).