Kaohsiung vs Taipei

Just got back from a small trip to K-town. It was my first time going there. Previously I didn’t want to pay the steep HSR fee but actually it was quite amazing to arrive on the other side of the island in 2 hours. None of the hassles of flying either. HSR is top notch.

I had a very enjoyable couple of days. The winter weather was amazing, and from what I hear its basically consistently like that. It did have a different vibe there, and I appreciated how laid back it was. Taipei feels pretty uptight. And claustrophobic. Everything being more spacious and the wider roads (and what felt like taller buildings) was nice.

Due to the space, grid layout and lack of rules it was (to my surprise) very nice to ride a scooter there (still need to consider all the standard traffic obstacles though of course). Could get around super quick. Felt like it took us 10 minutes to ride a goshare from the middle of the city up to monkey mountain. Riding in Taipei is stressful, and a not fast either.

I found the tourists sites great, the panoramic view from monkey mountain was one of the best I’ve seen anywhere. Lotus lake was insanely festive and fun and Xi zi wan was a very nice seafront. Danshui never really did much for me.

It’s a pity that the actual city feels rather drab. It’s basically the same sleepy and unloved feeling you get in all of the cities outside of Taipei. Feels like there ain’t a whole lot going on. Taipei leads the race and Taiwans other cities are sadly miles behind.

8 Likes

Good summary. You are right the other cities are not dynamic at all. Kaohsiung has invested billions in public investment, nice new areas but without private corporate services investment, offices, foreign tourists it feels more downbeat than it looks. TSMC being one exception but they are there for the cheap polluting energy and the land.

Like a would be Singapore but lacking the dynamic immigrants and visitors. Aging society doesnt help and covid REALLY seems to have damaged their businesses there.

I mean a stunning harbour with no cruise ships or foreign tourists is pretty strange. Hope it picks up soon.

6 Likes

Harbor view 2 days ago…

This time of year, winter, Kaoshiung weather is mostly fantastic. Not too hot, not too cold.

Kaohsoung is also just a stone’s throw away from Tainan, Kenting, and other great places.

Summer though is hot, hot, too hot.

I also feel grimy after leaving Kaosiung. Like everything is covered in dust.

6 Likes

This is one of the reasons I love Kaohsiung. Nice and sleepy, goes with my style

2 Likes

yeah, kind of like foreigners not wanting incoming backpackers or Chi-Comms ruin Taiwan’s tourism secret (outside the cities), I don’t want Kaohsiung turning into a rush-rush-rush everything Taipei. Goes along with me mellowing with age.

2 Likes

You pretty much nailed it. Access to nature without the Taipei and surrounding populations flocking out on weekends is nice if you live here. And the cheaper rent

The weather isn’t usually this cold, and it is I guess a bit hotter than Taipei in the summer, but I love the winter here. Pollution wise you saw what has been the average in my experience, it isn’t as bad as people say. I like that we don’t get a lot of rain or clouds

Being laid back is a double edged sword. It isn’t very lively and not a lot of night life variety. Maybe if I were younger I would experience it differently, but I think more likely I’d be bored or have to work harder to make my own fun

Lotus Pond currently is hosting the Lantern Festival, so a lot more festive than usual!

3 Likes
1 Like

I take people along Love River to the big curve by the ocean (same road)

Heading out to NSYSU better to take the mountain road past the zoo, stop at Love Lookout, and then past the university to the cafe on the ocean cliffs at the end of the road. I usually start or end that loop by going around Lotus Pond, and then down Gushan Road where there is the old city wall, gate, and tower

The entire length of Jiuru Lu gives an interesting slice of Kaohsiung

4 Likes

You didn’t take me on this romantic date. I feel gipped.

Next time you come to town, consider this a ticket for 1 free motorcycle tour

Yeah, I basically never leave the Sizihwan and Monkey Mountain areas.

And forget northern Kaohsiung. Imagine an area just as drab and boring as the rest of the city, except with millions of people walking around.

1 Like

What areas are you including here? I wouldn’t want to live further north than Zuoying, except in the mountains, but there are some good spots to visit (especially in the mountains)

Gangshan and Nanzi are pretty much drive through for me, though

I forgot to mention one huge difference.

Allergies.

My allergies (nose and eyes) are far worse down south than up north. Almost nonexistent in Taipei but crazy bad in Kaohsiung.

Northern Gushan and Zuoying, basically the areas where most people in KH live. People everywhere.

You go to Hanshin KH Arena on a weekday and it’s busier than Dream Mall on a weekend. Not to mention the horrible traffic in that area.

Ah, these aren’t places I go (the malls). Traffic density is easier to deal with than Sizhiwan or Yancheng. There are a lot of people around the Arena and Forest Park and Fine Arts Museum areas, that’s true. If you think these areas are drab, stay out of the eastern districts!

I’d live in Sizhiwan if it made sense for me, but I think the areas directly north of there aren’t the worst in the city :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Those areas are not “drab,” especially compared to the many dumpy towns scattered around the island.

I’d add that I am also partial to Kaohsiung’s Cultural Center area—nice alleys and the Kaohsiung outpost of Bookman Books make this a pleasant destination. Plus a chance to admire a city (hint: it’s not Taipei) that can remove a dictator statue (the cultural center used to be yet another CKS Memorial Hall) without the sky crashing down. :upside_down_face:

Guy

Drab is subjective, I guess. Some of the streets around those areas aren’t as interesting as where @user86 spends his time (you like the Japanese pasta guy down there, lots of nice places in that corner of the city).

If I had to take the MRT from Sizhiwan to Zuoying, I wouldn’t come this way very often, either!

Oh yeah. The Turkish restaurant out there is quite good (and usually empty when I go)

1 Like

One more place added to my list. :yum:

Guy

Taksim Turkish Cuisine塔克辛土耳其料理
0905 126 075

2 Likes

No, but uninteresting nonetheless. Just rows and rows of (mostly empty) condo towers. And the areas that aren’t occupied by condo towers are just as drab and uninteresting as the city center area.

1 Like