Kaohsiung's Ruifeng night market (biggest) status - closed forever or short term?

And controlled by the triads (mafia)

1 Like

Didnā€™t Shilin try this for part of their night market, and it ended up as a pretty grim, smoky bunker because it was in an enclosed building with most of the stalls on several basement floors (I only went once and that was enough).

Perhaps something more like the Singapore hawker centres would be a better design, though I guess they are more like food courts with a permanent roof plus tables and seating. They are relatively clean and also have the benefit of reusable plates, bowls and utensils, so a lot more environmentally friendly. But definitely the atmosphere is very different from Taiwanese night markets.

I think thereā€™s a fairly new purpose-built night market at Xizhi, which seems to be in the arcade format. Iā€™ve only seen on video, but perhaps itā€™s more in keeping with the Taiwan style.

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried to find the article. I guess the meaning was the difficulty because there are so many distributions already. Different labor groups in various sectors already are afforded funds so would this mean those already benefiting get benefits on top of benefits while for others this will be the only benefit.

I think this is where I got this ā€œBefore the report, Su Zhenchang accepted a question from the media and was asked about the general distribution of cash. He said that if 23 million people send 10,000 yuan each, it will cost more than 230 billion yuan; if one person sends 24,000 yuan, 1.6 million people will be rich. , But also more than 500 billion yuan, emphasizing that ā€œour money is very limited.ā€ā€ He said the money is very limited.

https://udn.com/news/story/120974/5516738?from=udn-catelistnews_ch2

Translation doesnā€™t make any sense. Anyways, no money? :rofl:

1 Like

yes, I do hope most shops can stay in business maybe in a fixed store.

1 Like

So have you been to the markets (Night) and any reports? I have not gone recently so not sure what itā€™s like or still going.

1 Like

I went to Reifung once, for the first time, about 2 months ago. It was mostly open, fairly busy. I got a decent shawarma from a couple of Turkish guys. There was space for more vendors outside the food area

And Iā€™ve ridden past Leihu several times, also open. Touring around town Iā€™ve seen lots of evening food markets open

Not sure what they were like before Covid, Iā€™m still new

3 Likes

Itā€™s still open. A few slots of empty spaces that used to be vendors, but overall still decent amount of food vendors, clothes, games, etc.

2 Likes

They backtracked on Ruifeng closing months ago. Honestly I went there a few times when I first came to Kaohsiung years ago, but havenā€™t been back since. I appreciate it as a cultural landmark, but seeing a rat scurry from stall to stall kinda put me off. You just know the whole place is dirty af.

1 Like

Anyone try the Currywurst (Curry Hot Dog) before? I wonder is still there or in the city?

2 Likes

Pubs in Canada serve them at P
Oktoberfest, itā€™s alright if you like sausages and curry. Havenā€™t had the one here, but itā€™s pretty hard to ruin that dish in a country where people already eat sausages and curry!

1 Like

So the sausage is sweet and the curry is sweet too?

I havenā€™t found the local curries to be sweet, sausage I tend to avoid (if I want that much fat and salt, I prefer McDonalds); that said, I wouldnā€™t have high hopes for the bun

1 Like

Oh right, the bun would possibly be sweet too!

To my taste a lot of the Japanese curries (which is basically most of the local ones) are a bit sweet. Nothing wrong with them, but different from the Indian or Southeast Asian sauces I prefer. Then again, Iā€™ve never had a curry hot dog before, so Iā€™m not sure what kind of curry those use.

The night market sausages Iā€™ve had are definitely sweeter than a typical western sausage. But thatā€™s based on a sample size of three or four from long, long ago.

Iā€™m now having flashbacks to Indian restaurants with the in-laws and being told that the vindaloo, korma, tikka masala, etc., were all OK but none tasted quite like curry, and was I sure this was really authentic? Not entirely wrong, but so far from right.

2 Likes

ah, i just make it at home, one of those things (like pasta) that iā€™ll never eat in a restaurant. unlike pasta sauce, which i make from scratch, i just get the curry paste pucks for japanese curry

indian curry iā€™ll eat out here, thereā€™s a place in kaohsiung that isnā€™t bad, but also this is something i mostly make at home (using patakā€™s brand paste, which i also used in canada and thailand)

1 Like