Kaohsiung's World Games Sports Stadium

[quote=“In Another Thread Adam_CLO”]It depends if they are replacing existing facilities with new ones or adding on to them. If it’s the former, then I’m sure it’s fine. The world trade center convention center in Taichung currently hosts annual travel shows and other exhibitions, so perhaps moving it to a more central location with better facilities is a good idea. If it’s going to compete with that facility though, then I doubt there is enough demand for both.

[color=#FF0000]The World Games stadium in Kaohsiung seems like the whitest of the white elephants in Taiwan.[/color][/quote]
I agree, and it’s a pity. It’s an awesome stadium and they should consider hosting an annual rugby Sevens tournament there, as well as trying to host more rugby tests and even football matches at the stadium. If they could get Kaohsiung on the IAAF circuit the stadium may also be used for that.
Failing international events, they could at least attempt to stage regional ones. I’d go watch a regional sevens comp, Taiwan vs other regional teams playing soccer/football or rugby tests, and I’d even make the trip for regional athletics events.

Sorry, for being a tad OT, though…

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“Adam_CLO”]It depends if they are replacing existing facilities with new ones or adding on to them. If it’s the former, then I’m sure it’s fine. The world trade center convention center in Taichung currently hosts annual travel shows and other exhibitions, so perhaps moving it to a more central location with better facilities is a good idea. If it’s going to compete with that facility though, then I doubt there is enough demand for both.

[color=#FF0000]The World Games stadium in Kaohsiung seems like the whitest of the white elephants in Taiwan.[/color][/quote]
I agree, and it’s a pity. It’s an awesome stadium and they should consider hosting an annual rugby Sevens tournament there, as well as trying to host more rugby tests and even football matches at the stadium. If they could get Kaohsiung on the IAAF circuit the stadium may also be used for that.
Failing international events, they could at least attempt to stage regional ones. I’d go watch a regional sevens comp, Taiwan vs other regional teams playing soccer/football or rugby tests, and I’d even make the trip for regional athletics events.

Sorry, for being a tad OT, though…[/quote]

rugby?? who the hell plays rugby in the world besides australians??? does taiwan even have rubgy teams? they barely have a soccer team. they should turn it into a baseball stadium as baseball is the national sport there and they already have a professional baseball league.

also, i dont think that stadium is as big a white elephant compared to other white elephants in the world like the beijing olympic stadium as the kaohsiung stadium actually has a purpose - it produces electricity that’s sold to the city. so that makes it really useful!

Taipei Times on the stadium. Seems the Sports Council paid for and runs it and they are wrangling now for ownership.
taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan … 2003482305

:unamused: Just because you’re unaware that something exists, doesn’t make it a reality. Southern Taiwan, Tainan and Kaohsiung particularly are rugby havens. And yes, there are several teams, from elementary school level to university and club level, including a national team and a sevens squad.

they should play baseball there. it’s the national sport, more taiwanese love baseball than any other sport, and the taiwanese are good at it. they can play professional game there as well as host international competitions. the little league and junior league teams can all play there too, which, btw taiwan had won the 2010 junior league world series and came close in the little league world series.

:ohreally: It’s not a baseball stadium. So no, they shouldn’t play baseball there. Isn’t that a girl’s game, anyway?

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“Adam_CLO”]It depends if they are replacing existing facilities with new ones or adding on to them. If it’s the former, then I’m sure it’s fine. The world trade center convention center in Taichung currently hosts annual travel shows and other exhibitions, so perhaps moving it to a more central location with better facilities is a good idea. If it’s going to compete with that facility though, then I doubt there is enough demand for both.

they should play baseball in kaohsiung world games stadium. baseball is the national sport in taiwan and the taiwanese are great at it. sorry for being a tad OT too, but just responding back.

Bismarck! You’re confusing BASKETBALL with BASEBALL! Basketball is a girl’s game. At my school they called it “netball” and only the tall girls played it. Baseball is for REAL MEN who wear TIGHT PANTS and have BIG BUMS and SPIT ALL THE TIME!

Bismarck! You’re confusing BASKETBALL with BASEBALL! Basketball is a girl’s game. At my school they called it “netball” and only the tall girls played it. Baseball is for REAL MEN who wear TIGHT PANTS and have BIG BUMS and SPIT ALL THE TIME![/quote]
:roflmao: ok…

At my school the girls played both.

[quote=“thyrdrail”][quote=“bismarck”][quote=“Adam_CLO”]It depends if they are replacing existing facilities with new ones or adding on to them. If it’s the former, then I’m sure it’s fine. The world trade center convention center in Taichung currently hosts annual travel shows and other exhibitions, so perhaps moving it to a more central location with better facilities is a good idea. If it’s going to compete with that facility though, then I doubt there is enough demand for both.

they should play baseball in kaohsiung world games stadium. baseball is the national sport in taiwan and the taiwanese are great at it. sorry for being a tad OT too, but just responding back.[/quote]
You realise it’s not a Baseball Stadium, right? And whatever happens to be the national sport, some would argue it’s Taekwondo seeing as Taiwan has actually won world championship and Olympic medals for the sport, is hardly the point.

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“thyrdrail”][quote=“bismarck”][quote=“Adam_CLO”]It depends if they are replacing existing facilities with new ones or adding on to them. If it’s the former, then I’m sure it’s fine. The world trade center convention center in Taichung currently hosts annual travel shows and other exhibitions, so perhaps moving it to a more central location with better facilities is a good idea. If it’s going to compete with that facility though, then I doubt there is enough demand for both.

they should play baseball in kaohsiung world games stadium. baseball is the national sport in taiwan and the taiwanese are great at it. sorry for being a tad OT too, but just responding back.[/quote]
You realise it’s not a Baseball Stadium, right? And whatever happens to be the national sport, some would argue it’s Taekwondo seeing as Taiwan has actually won world championship and Olympic medals for the sport, is hardly the point.[/quote]

They can retrofit it so baseball can be played there. I doubt most people think taekwando is taiwan’s national sport. And u prob can’t fill up a big stadium with spectators wanting to see that sport like u can with baseball.

[quote=“thyrdrail”][quote=“bismarck”][quote=“thyrdrail”][quote=“bismarck”][quote=“Adam_CLO”]It depends if they are replacing existing facilities with new ones or adding on to them. If it’s the former, then I’m sure it’s fine. The world trade center convention center in Taichung currently hosts annual travel shows and other exhibitions, so perhaps moving it to a more central location with better facilities is a good idea. If it’s going to compete with that facility though, then I doubt there is enough demand for both.

You realise it’s not a Baseball Stadium, right? And whatever happens to be the national sport, some would argue it’s Taekwondo seeing as Taiwan has actually won world championship and Olympic medals for the sport, is hardly the point.[/quote]

They can retrofit it so baseball can be played there.[/quote]
Waste of money. They already have enough BB stadiums.

What’s your point? Whatever you consider the national sport to be is irrelevant…

Yes they can, and they did for two days when they hosted the Sevens competition during the World Games.

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“thyrdrail”][quote=“bismarck”][quote=“thyrdrail”][quote=“bismarck”][quote=“Adam_CLO”]It depends if they are replacing existing facilities with new ones or adding on to them. If it’s the former, then I’m sure it’s fine. The world trade center convention center in Taichung currently hosts annual travel shows and other exhibitions, so perhaps moving it to a more central location with better facilities is a good idea. If it’s going to compete with that facility though, then I doubt there is enough demand for both.

They can retrofit it so baseball can be played there.[/quote]

well most of the stadiums that exist are crappy except maybe the taichung baseball stadium. this is the best designed, best quality stadium, and it will be the best and largest baseball stadium if they retrofit it.[/quote]

my point is that they should dedicate this stadium to the most popular sport and past time in the country. and it’s baseball!! and it’s not my opinion, it’s what’s most taiwanese think.

but that’s world games which is the second biggest sporting event after the olympics and only held every 4 years! if they had some annual taekwando world series with league playoffs and such like they have with baseball, you think that will fill up a 40,000+ stadium each match? i HIGHLY doubt it. baseball will definitely get more spectators.

:ohreally: It’s not a baseball stadium. So no, they shouldn’t play baseball there. Isn’t that a girl’s game, anyway?[/quote]

Yup, girl’s game indeed. We call it ‘rounders’.

Or even cricket…

They have enough stadiums for [strike]rounders[/strike] [strike]softball[/strike] [strike]girly baseball[/strike] baseball. They certainly don’t need another one.
And if you’ve actually been to the stadium, you’ll know by it’s size, shape and design that it wouldn’t be able to be “retrofitted” for baseball.

Have you ever been to the Hong Kong Sevens, or any of the Sevens series’ across the world, including the ones held in San Francisco, Los Angeles and this year in Las Vegas? I doubt it, as you’re only aware of Australians that play rugby, which is only one of 95 countries (including Taiwan) which do so, and you seem blissfully unaware of the fact that Baseball is going to be removed from the Olympic itinerary and replace by Rugby Sevens…
I’ve never been top a Sevens tournament, nor seen one on television, including the World Games Sevens in KHH that didn’t fill up the stadium for the course of the tournament (two to three days). Apart from being an Olympic sport (and rightly so), which [strike]Bitchball[/strike] Baseball will no longer be (and rightly so!), an annual Sevens tournament in KHH will give Taiwan more international exposure and will fit more closely into Government plans of attracting more visitors to Taiwan (annually). It will also bring in international visitors which will not only utilise the stadium, but who will plough money into the local economy and attract return visitors as it does in all the other Sevens venues across the world.

They’d actually be able to do that at that stadium with little difficulty.

Edit: Converting it to the needs of a sport that isn’t truly international in nature would inhibit the number of codes and sports/events that could be hosted there. As it is, it would be able to host a variety of events and sports.

Oh no, cricket can NEVER be mentioned in the same breath as baseball. :no-no: :laughing:

:ohreally: It’s not a baseball stadium. So no, they shouldn’t play baseball there. Isn’t that a girl’s game, anyway?[/quote]

Yup, girl’s game indeed. We call it ‘rounders’.[/quote]

LOL, I love how the old colonialists stick to their homo-erotic outdated games and love them like they were sport’s finest creation.

Cricket is a f*cking joke, if the lime sucking bastards of yesteryear didn’t force it down the throat of the sub-continent it wouldn’t exist today. UK, Hillbilly UK (Aus, NZ), Safari UK (SA), and the Sub-Continent are the only places that remotely give a crap about that goddamn joke of a ‘sport’, yet you clowns think it is global.

the fuck?

At least baseball caught on in different parts of the world, East Asia, Central and South America, and is the most popular sport in two countries that loath the US (Cuba and Venezuala).

And rugby, while I played for a long time and love the game, if I gotta hear one more closet sodomite (rugger) tell me how tough rugby is and how ‘soft’ American football is because they wear padding I am gonna puke in my goddamn mouth.

I’ve played both, footballis more brutal, end of story, doesn’t mean rugby isn’t tough, it is extremely grueling, but football is worse.

And don’t even get me started on fucking soccer, yes soccer…“Oh only girls play baseball in my country, we call it rounders, and the tall girls play netball.” STFU…guess what only fucking 3 year olds play soccer in my country and that is because it is the only thing PUSSY enough for them not hurt their delicate little bodies.

How can anyone defend a sport where grown men flop around like they have been shot simply because faggot A brushed his leg against faggot B.

If you take away old world countries you see how soccer falters. Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada, new world countries not bound by BS old traditions, have created new and better sports that are far more complex, challenging and interesting than kickball. Funny how soccer has a passing interest in those haunts.

Anyways, I ranted more than I should, I love all sports to be honest and hope all thrive into the next century, but when I read nonsense, I gotta set the record straight.

As for the KHH stadium, TW doesn’t have the desire to be a world class sporting destination so the idea of hosting an international event in a sport not popular with locals, or without big name appeal is highly unlikely.

People here would rather sit on an 18" plastic stool and stare at puppets on TV while jamming biandang down their gullets than go take in something different.

[James]You know its sad but true[Hetfield/]

I think what you should have said is ‘when I read nonsense I also post nonsense’, would be more accurate.