Kaohsiung's World Games Sports Stadium

The stadium in Kaohsiung is now the home of the Chinese Taipei Football Association since Mayor Hau booted them out of Zhongshan Stadium to put his flowers in. To be fair though, it’s a much nicer venue than Zhongshan, which was a real dump. I used to wonder how that place ever got FIFA accreditation.

And yet New World countries have won nine of the nineteen World Cups held so far, and have provided probably the two top players in the history of world football, Pelé and Maradona. :ponder: I agree with you about all the fakery though. Ruining the game.

I think that it has more to do with the logistics of hosting an event in the fictitious land of Chinese Taipei.

:ohreally: It’s not a baseball stadium. So no, they shouldn’t play baseball there. Isn’t that a girl’s game, anyway?[/quote]

Yup, girl’s game indeed. We call it ‘rounders’.[/quote]And rugby, while I played for a long time and love the game, if I gotta hear one more closet sodomite (rugger) tell me how tough rugby is and how ‘soft’ American football is because they wear padding I am gonna puke in my goddamn mouth.

I’ve played both, footballis more brutal, end of story, doesn’t mean rugby isn’t tough, it is extremely grueling, but football is worse.[/quote]
Speaking for myself, I don’t think I’ve ever called NFL/CFL ‘soft’. In fact, apart from the infernal stoppages, I quite like it. If I were ever to find myself exiled to the Land of Bibles, Movies and Unhinged Politicians I would most certainly find myself a nearby NFL team to support. But you aren’t ever going to convince me of the “virtues” of [strike]Bitchball[/strike] Baseball and [strike]Netball[/strike] Basketball.

And calling rugby homo-erotic and the players closet sodomites? :ohreally: Yeah, ok. Odd, though, coming from someone who professes to having played the game for a long time. Odd, because I’ve never met anyone who has played rugby that didn’t fall in love with the sport (NA included), not just for the love of the game, but also for how it seems to invite life long friendships and camaraderie.

Guess it takes all kinds, though. If my son ever wants to play soccer, Basketball or Baseball, I’d fully support him. I wouldn’t quite understand the allure, but I’d back him all the way regardless. Different strokes and all that.

But the last thing Taiwan needs IMVHO is another Baseball stadium, especially as thyrdrail suggested, by "redesigning a perfectly good athletics/rugby/soccer stadium towards that end.

Good news, if you ask me. :thumbsup:

[quote=“thyrdrail”]
They can retrofit it so baseball can be played there. I doubt most people think taekwando is Taiwan’s national sport. And u prob can’t fill up a big stadium with spectators wanting to see that sport like u can with baseball.[/quote]

Why??? Kaohsiung already has a nice baseball stadium where the La New Bears play. That would also result in either destroying the track (as a baseball field can’t fit within a track) or force its relocation. I love the stadium as it. Too bad the spat between the KMT-central government and the local government is causing its underuse. A marathon in Kaohsiung finished inside the stadium last year… really nice track… what a waste if it isn’t used properly, or worse, is destroyed in a baseball retrofit…

Just noticed this statement. Can someone explain how it produces electricity? Solar panels? Does the electricity it generates cover maintenance costs of the stadium? I’m guessing it wouldn’t.

Just noticed this statement. Can someone explain how it produces electricity? Solar panels? Does the electricity it generates cover maintenance costs of the stadium? I’m guessing it wouldn’t.[/quote]
Yes, they use solar panels. The entire “roof” area is covered in them.

The dragon-shaped 50,000 seat arena sports 8,844 solar panels which could potentially generate 1.14 gigawatt hours of electricity every year; that is, enough electricity to power up to 80% of the surrounding neighborhood when the stadium is unused.

[quote]Aside from being solar-powered, this stadium is green because of bio-diversity, forestation, water conservation and energy saving of buildings. Other interesting facts:

1.The photoelectric cells allow 30% of total sunlight through, therefore delivering a real-time weather change to audience
2. Reduction of CO2 Production Sunlight electricity generation reduces 0.53kg CO2 per 1kwh, as compared with traditional method. In this project, the generation capacity is 1000kw and annual generation is 1.1 million kwh. Base on these figures, the total reduction of CO2 discharge is 583,000 kg (equivalent to CO2 reduction capacity of the green lands).
3. Avoid Daytime Peak Hour Consumption of Power As one kwh costs 3 Taiwan dollars, and power generation are available 3 hours everyday, 3000 kwh can be generated in a single day, and 10,000 Taiwan dollars can be saved.
4. Photoelectric Conversion for Outdoor Facilities Photoelectric conversion can be applied to road lamps, scenic spot illumination and information indication.[/quote]

Apparently, the surplus power is sold to the Kaohsiung city government and is used by the surrounding area.

Thanks bismarck! I stand corrected then - maybe it isn’t such a white elephant after all. Kudos to them for coming up with such a plan!

Nope, not a white elephant at all, but it would be nice if they would organize more sports events there (local, regional and international), like Sevens, Football (soccer), athletics, field hockey, concerts etc…

i think it would make an awesome baseball stadium if it’s not used for american soccer. too bad taiwan doesnt play american football either as it would be an awesome stadium for that:

It would be terrible for baseball. The field dimension are wrong and either you end up with a ridiculous OF dimensionally or you knock out all of the seats along one of the current sidelines. Not too mention the seats at the end of the field would be too far removed from the field. And in a baseball stadium all seats should point to homeplate which would be a nearly impossible retrofit.

The field is made track and field events and football, futbol (I’m only familiar with this word in Spanish) and rugby (and anything else requiring a standard rectangular field).

[quote=“Abacus”]It would be terrible for baseball. The field dimension are wrong and either you end up with a ridiculous OF dimensionally or you knock out all of the seats along one of the current sidelines. Not too mention the seats at the end of the field would be too far removed from the field. And in a baseball stadium all seats should point to homeplate which would be a nearly impossible retrofit.

The field is made track and field events and football, futbol (I’m only familiar with this word in Spanish) and rugby (and anything else requiring a standard rectangular field).[/quote]
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
Well said…

[quote=“Abacus”]It would be terrible for baseball. The field dimension are wrong and either you end up with a ridiculous OF dimensionally or you knock out all of the seats along one of the current sidelines. Not too mention the seats at the end of the field would be too far removed from the field. And in a baseball stadium all seats should point to homeplate which would be a nearly impossible retrofit.

The field is made track and field events and football, futbol (I’m only familiar with this word in Spanish) and rugby (and anything else requiring a standard rectangular field).[/quote]

then they should play track n field and soccer and american football there.

[quote=“thyrdrail”][quote=“Abacus”]It would be terrible for baseball. The field dimension are wrong and either you end up with a ridiculous OF dimensionally or you knock out all of the seats along one of the current sidelines. Not too mention the seats at the end of the field would be too far removed from the field. And in a baseball stadium all seats should point to homeplate which would be a nearly impossible retrofit.

then they should play track n field and soccer and American football there.[/quote]

Yes it’s really easy to draw international events to Taiwan’s second city that nobody in the world has heard of. And then they can maybe draw 5000 fans (if they have cheap tickets) to the event (ensuring that they lose money by hosting an event). This isn’t the field of dreams where if you build it they will come.

[quote=“thyrdrail”][quote=“Abacus”]It would be terrible for baseball. The field dimension are wrong and either you end up with a ridiculous OF dimensionally or you knock out all of the seats along one of the current sidelines. Not too mention the seats at the end of the field would be too far removed from the field. And in a baseball stadium all seats should point to homeplate which would be a nearly impossible retrofit.

then they should play track n field and soccer and American football there.[/quote]
Ok, even though you’re getting dangerously close to the edge again, I’ll bite…

Let’s pretend for a second they decide to stage an NFL game at the stadium. Who would go? Pray tell.

When they had the Sevens rugby tournament there the stadium was almost completely full for two days of competition.

here’s a video about the world games stadium in a national geographic channel series about kaohsiung. it explains more about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjgj7JCP4Ic&feature=related