Kawasaki B1 or Vespa for the Retro Appeal

Recently riding around on a borrowed scooter and forgotten how much I really loved it - sad I know since it’s only a 150cc. Been reliant on public transport for 2.5 years at this point.

Anyway thinking of buying and like the idea of a classic Vespa. But then see a lot of the old Kawasaki B1’s / B2’s around and like the look of them. Anyone got a recommendation either way - in particular comparsion of reliability and ease of finding a good mechanic to support.

Have seen the threads on the Vespa on here - so mainly the Kawasaki side of the coin.

Cheers
Brian

Seen as trendy now, so ridiculously overpriced. There’s one on Yahoo tw auctions now. 18 hours to go and already up to NT$20,000 for a 15-year-old machine.
Totally not worth it.

Agree they are priced high for the age - but still seem to be better value than the Vespa’s - assuming similar mechanical performance levels. Some scary prices around for good Vespa on Yahoo Bid.

Fashion victim much?

I would take the Vespa over the B1 since the performance level is about the same, as is reliability. At those speeds you don’t worry about handling really. Don’t even start on how filthy these dinosaurs run. IIRC the B1 and it’s then-rival the 125/135 Suzuki are the two most polluting two-wheelers ever produced here.

But seriously, for the kind of money they are asking you could go buy a retro-look scooter or motorcycle. Why pay these prices when you can buy what is basically a straight replica of a 1968 Honda CB125, with modern 12V electrics, brand new with a full warranty?

redwagon,

what scooter are you referring to and where can you buy it?

the cb125 clone i mean.

that’s like saying “i want an old school car”… do i want the rx3 or the ford gt…

one’s styled after retro…
one IS retro…

(was gunna use a mustang instead of rx3, but i’m not good with car years)

[quote=“redwagon”]Why pay these prices when you can buy what is basically a straight replica of a 1968 Honda CB125, with modern 12V electrics, brand new with a full warranty?[/quote][quote=“z24y23”]redwagon,

what scooter are you referring to and where can you buy it?

the cb125 clone I mean.[/quote]I’m guessing he means the SYM Legend (a motorbike, not a scooter).
I wouldn’t buy a B1 or one of the similar Suzukis. Yes, they look nice, but I believe they can be a pain to maintain and get parts for and as Redwagon said they’re very polluting and not very powerful.

sym.com.tw/chi/product/index … info&id=17

This is what I meant, it fits well with the 80% rule. It looks 80% like a '68 Honda, but you skip the downsides of owning a real vintage bike.