Kawasaki B1 Yuen-Foong

Hey, I have always really liked the old Kawasaki B1 motorcycles. I really like the way the look, especially the ones that have some wear on the body. I am considering buying one and selling my current scooter an old 1996 125cc Kymco. I know a shop that often sells them, some more fixed up than others, for around $25-$35k. I have however heard some bad things from a friend about them. Does anyone have any experience with these bikes? How is the reliability? I would assume the power is about the same as any other ordinary 125cc.

Here are some pictures if anyone doesn’t recognize them by name.

I have owned 2 Suzuki BS 125cc 2-strokes which are basically the same bikes. These bikes are a classic, super cool but also old. They are cool little easy bikes to ride, but they are 2-strokes with really low gears. They are slow and smokey. Engine parts are still fairly easy accessible but some other parts like a gas tank might be impossible to find new. You would totally still be able to find almost all parts though. I think these bikes where made in Taiwan. The major problems I had were that the spark plug fouls often because they are 2-strokes and use oil when firing, so they spark plugs get dirty a lot faster than 2 strokes. I always carried an extra in my bag with the spark plug socket wrench. You need to add oil into the oil reservoir. Sometimes the indicator light is broken on these old smokers so you need to pay attention or you will blow your piston. I hate the steel guard around the chain because when the chain gets loose the chain rubs against it and makes noise. They are also drum brakes. Luckily these bikes don’t go over 80-90 KPH but they aren’t great at stopping. I wouldn’t recommend this bike for a daily rider unless you don’t travel far. I would also get a little cheap scooter. You should be able to find one of these bikes for 20k or under if it isn’t fully restored. I rode mine around the island once many years ago. The second time I tried, I blew the engine and had to take the train home. :slight_smile: Good luck.

I also have a BS 125. I bought mine with very low kms on it from a old person who had looked after it well. Look around when buying, just because it looks good does not mean it is. I saw one in Taidong the other day for under 18,000 in good condition, so it pays to look around.

I very much enjoy 2 stroke bikes they are lots of fun, there is a different feeling about them compared with a lot of other 4 stroke 125 bikes and they are cool. There is lots of parts still available so now is a good time to enjoy it as they won’t be around much longer. Parts are also very cheap for them. Mine has been pretty reliable thus far. Did a 600km ride on her a few weekends ago and she didn’t miss a beat.

On the down side, they do need a bit more maintenance and are not as reliable as 4 strokes. They also won’t last as long. If your doing high KMS I would recommend definitely getting a 4 stroke, as they will last and last. Also like rk1951 said there breaks take a long time to stop.

This is a Zen way of telling you its time to adjust (or replace) your chain.

They would make twice as much power with a proper expansion chamber exhaust pipe. But then you’d really have to get better brakes: front end swap from a disk brake bike.

This is a Zen way of telling you its time to adjust (or replace) your chain.[/quote]

:sunglasses: :slight_smile:

It’s sort of a classic, so…er…no.

(Though if you keep the original bits I suppose it’d be sort of permissible, from an antiquarian perspective.)

I once had a Suzuki X7, which was as much of a classic, and sucked.

farm3.staticflickr.com/2184/1621 … 5cbb_o.jpg

then i got an RD400, which did not suck, except at cornering or keeping the front wheel on the ground.

then i got into Ducatis, and rarely enjoyed 2 strokes much after that.

Even a classic can be made better by making it work.

[quote=“urodacus”]I once had a Suzuki X7, which was as much of a classic, and sucked.

farm3.staticflickr.com/2184/1621 … 5cbb_o.jpg

then i got an RD400, which did not suck, except at cornering or keeping the front wheel on the ground.

then i got into Ducatis, and rarely enjoyed 2 strokes much after that.

Even a classic can be made better by making it work.[/quote]

You won’t be making a silk purse. You’ll be making a sow’s ear, with tassels, and it’ll probably cost as much as buying a silk purse in the first place.

When you come to sell it, it’ll be illegal unless you trim the tassels and glue the pork back on.

And most buyers much prefer their sow’s ears without tassels anyway.

God I hate Taiwan’s stupid vehicle laws.

I am currently living the Xinznaung district near Fushou St. I have noticed a B1 Yuen Foong Kawaski on Xingfu Rd. near Fushou st. Also there is a 1960’s era Honda 150cc benty baby dream and 2 Vespa scooters parked on the sidewalk near the Sixia park near the end of Fushou st. Today I was at a used goods store and bought a astro boy cartoon wrist watch (made in Japan) that is listed on ebay for $300 U.S. at the store for nt 150 or about U.S. 5 dollars. I have also found a Japanese Hino pendulum clock that was made in the 30’s or 40’s.I am looking for a Japanese Tohotsu motorcycle (any size cc). I am looking for Chinese or Japanese products manufactured in the 40’s to 60’s. Including transistor radios. Is there any use good stores,second hand stores in your area. I like to visit these type stores,
Thanks Hwybob