Keep safe! Extremely Heavy Rain Advisory (it filled up our lakes!)

Yes, Just need a replacement. Northern Area would do well with more solar with more sun there now. Its not like they have beautiful roof tops to show off as a UNESCO World Heritage roof site like in Japan.

2 Likes

If its solar, i think clearly its middle west and southward and taidong that are most suited for solar. Northern taiwan has quite a bit of cloud cover compared to the south. That said, northern taiwan has a far more useful justification based on efficiency and sun than countries like say germany. So there are few logical excuses against solar in taiwan with the exception of various mountianous areas. Plus, The current solar proliferation corruption with panels being built on food producing land is beyond infuriating!!! That level of idiocy should be tried in court on the level of treason…

Regardless, there will be haters that point out battery issues, panel pollution from manufacturing etc etc that point fingers and dont realize its developing and we ought to develop it cleaner. The combustion engine on old trains powered by coal are insanely less efficient than todays trains. And tomorrows trains should absolutely be more efficient than todays trains. I always get confused why so many people are up in arms against developing new shit…its truly puzzling. Nuclear has promising new directions too, but it is so far like everyhing else. Risky. And given political corruption controlling atomic safety, the entire world has justified reason to be concerned! Taiwan as well.

I would argue that we dont need the current risk of old and corrupt nuclear systems in taiwan because we literally have no where to run when shit hits the fan. This island is very tiny, and we should be honest with ourselves about these realities and couple them with he political stage that is currently all odds against taiwan as we know it today. if it werent a worry, it wouldnt be discussed so heavily…reality sucks for taiwan an its future.

I also totally agree coal/fossil fuel based electricity is dirty as all fuck in taiwan. I also agree that renewable/sustainable/green/clean (whatever marketing term one cares to run with) is still quite innefficient. But i think it should be insanely obvious that running power from sun energy is worth pursuing because it is the most usable, nearly infinite power we have that has a very low danger rating. Nuclear is as well, But the risks between the 2 speak for themselves…

If taiwan gave the same priority to sustianability (largely energy, but also food, water, production, logistics, education etc etc…) that we do to just TSMC alone, we would have already deactivated the coal plants years ago.

It’s aggravating how little foresight society has as a collective :frowning: whats worse, is taiwan has the money to do it, a small enough land mass to do it efficiently, the economybto make it actually profitable AND sustainable, the climate and geology to do it cheaper and the political incentives to make it happen based on basic survival. Question is, why not?!?

3 Likes

Like E autos , gov should say in 2021 replace your UNESCO World Heritage roof with Solar, but then Tai-Pow will lose more cash. Main problem, power is too cheap compared other nations so less incentive to change, make Tai-Pow into profit making company then rates will go up. I also wonder does solar reduce the heat into homes? (The Taiwan roof seems make the house hotter as part of the urban heat)

1 Like

Solar would be too difficult for most here, not a lot of room on the roof, if indeed it hasnt already been claimed.

Too much rain in south. Office and school closed in parts of Kaohsiung. Vaccines as well.

2 Likes

I totally agree. but as the taiwan government makes massive cash on state owned business, they can afford to rig the game. The worry has always been, if taiwan has fair prices as per costs, we will probably go bankrupt and be gobbled up by China in year or 2. not because we cant make it work, more likely because society is unwilling to make it work.

Regardless of whether that is true or not people are scared of the japanese type situation (rising up, turning production from shit to quality and having a huge financial issue, however it didnt turn out that bad anway except for massjve lbor stresses and suicides) and have already been sucking the teet that is taiwanese styled wellfare for too long…show me a politician with the gonads to go against this society turned culture.

Obviously, the brick wall is only going to become harder, thicker, taller and hit us with more speed if we dont grow up…but, ya know, fuckit…i want my buffet tonight!

5 Likes

Great news! Now we need flood control

2 Likes

What is on your roof? Mine water tank and lots of plants, table and chair with a tine covering and open space for the cat.

2 Likes

We are OT here, but yes, plenty of room.

1 Like

Mine is a tin roof absorbing sunlights, using it to heat up the space below. Really hope solar panel could block out some of that heat.

1 Like

Not only block out the heat, but also power your air cond and more.

1 Like

Solar panels are expensive though, can’t afford it without some government subsidies. Most Taiwanese just install more powerful AC unit and pay the electricity rate since they’re so cheap.

The cheap electricity rate is probably one of the major reasons why Taiwan is not using solar more.

1 Like

Yay, west and north ha rain. Time to forget about next years water shortages!! Glad it is temporarily ok, as is always expected. Interesting.it took til July…just saying…:wink:

While being in the SE these weeks, i am hoping for some rain. Hot as balls. Bright blue skies, uv index out the roof and temps in high 30s everyday. Seriously want to die. Can we reverse those wind farms and blow some clouds out this way? The massive river beds are flowing ar near zero, mostly dry :frowning:

Yes, very much true

I’m not sure those wind generators would make a dent. But you know, use electricity to generate wind…

1 Like

interesting link

From record low to record high (10y) :sweat_drops:

5 Likes

The southern area has been raining for several days, and the water storage capacity of major reservoirs in Tainan has increased rapidly. The Nanhua Reservoir has been full and overflowed naturally for a long time. The water storage rate of Zengwen Reservoir today has exceeded 90%. The first flood release.

1 Like