Keep safe! Extremely Heavy Rain Advisory (it filled up our lakes!)

This is the seventh wave of Satan!

1 Like

I’m out.

Well put it back in then.

1 Like

Soon enough!

More today Central and Kao City

3 Likes

Parts of Taiwan have been getting hammered with rain.

Here’s a video from Taichung that will get your attention. :grimacing:

https://twitter.com/lakesidesister/status/1648920744771076102

Guy

4 Likes

Some people have no brain, could see that coming, yet she waded in.

Lots of landslides. One car made into a tortilla by one, driver allegedly sent to the hospital. I doubt that in one piece.

Very dangerous conditions for drivers, especially scooters. Take care everyone.

Avoid the mountains this weekend. It may not be raining in the low parts but high above it will and flash floods are commonplace.

River tracing when heavy rains are happening around the island can lead to tragedy. The latest casualities died this weekend in Wutai Township in Pingtung following a sudden surge on a waterfall.

Guy

1 Like

Tubing is safer.

Maybe not in this site, high in the mountains with a waterfall and a whirlpool below . . .

Guy

Don’t know why they went up with some rain predicted.
Ah I see it was one of those ad hoc facebook groups.

1 Like

And more rain is supposedly coming

Treacherous weather for outdoor activities.

1 Like

An update on this tragic loss of life:

Guy

1 Like

Yeah. One of those guys taught me how to belay last year. Experienced and respected climber and canyoneer. I don’t know what he was doing up there, but I expect it was trying to keep people safe.

2 Likes

According to the Focus Taiwan article, there was no clear guide for this group. It was clearly an ill-advised decision to be there at that time. The Rukai, btw, view that waterfall as sacred and out-of-bounds, so the group was also not respecting Indigenous custom. :slightly_frowning_face:

Guy

I agree, I’m baffled by it too, and I don’t understand the circumstances. Just commenting on the particular guy I knew.

1 Like

Do they get darwin awards? It’s not like this part of the year is not known for storms. Every afternoon atm I get them where I live.

1 Like

I have no experience as a canyoneer, but even I know to stay out of narrow water channels in the rainy season

This can happen on the road to my place. I avoid driving in the rains.