Ketamine and receiving a fine

Ketamine isn’t schedule 1 because it has medical uses for humans. It’s a useful anesthetic for people who can’t use opiates. Also useful in the battlefield for medics.

1 Like

Tramadol/morphine is given easily here, as opposed to home country where it is strictly controlled.

Nothing could be further from the truth IMO

3 Likes

Define freely? The only time they give out morphine is directly after major surgery and to the terminally ill.

1 Like

It’s not your opinion. It’s the truth.

Every time I have strong pains in the emergency room that’s what they give me. I am not the only one. I have some allergies so I can’t take the typical pain killers, but there are so many other options they could give me.

No surgery and no mental illness, just extreme migraines or body pain (muscles/joints etc)

Freely meaning as soon I as I my allergy they give it to me. In the home country they would try any other analgesic before giving out tramadol etc

I think they only give you tramadol if you have experienced any type of major trauma y’all.

I’ve had a painfully opposite experience. In MY experience trying to get them to give you morphine is like pulling teeth.

Renai hospital doesn’t make any fuss around this

1 Like

I’d be surprised if doctors in any country (bar the USA) are dishing out opioids for unidentifiable migraines or body pain. If they’re doing it here be careful.

tramadol maybe. What kind of doctor is hooking you up with a IV of morphine for a migraine and body aches? Every addict on the island will start to claim they are allergic to paracetamol, Every NSAIDs, every less potent opiate but morphine.

It’s strictly controlled, they have to justify giving you opiates here. And it’s going to set off a lot of red flags giving someone morphine for a migraine.

一般 internal medicine doctor in emergency rooms. I do have allergy that can cause me to stop breathing/swallen threat in a matter of minutes, but I always had that and back in the country I never received it from any doctor, they would give me other ones but never this. If the pain persists they will prescribe me tramadol and give to me to take back home. I always avoid because of the fear of such strong chemical. Back home the culture is to be afraid of this and that it might kill you or make you addicted to it. So mine always expire before I have courage to take them. But when you are in excruciating pain in a emergency room you don’t know what they give you before you feel better and ask for the list of names.

Btw, health care in Taiwan is cheap and convenient, but that deserves a whole other thread to discuss the competence of most of the doctors here and how they deal with diseases.

I lost count how many times I flew back just to get better treatment and doctors that could treat me without me telling them what to look for. Here the doctors are good for common general diseases. Diabetes? High colesterol? Osteoporosis? Good. Want an efficient treatment for an auto immune disease? Want to know the causes/trigger and best treatment of something that only a small % of population has? Better not expect for it here.

So far I have found only 2 decent doctors that are ahead of their colleagues in my many years on the island. Such a pity, because their health system and resources are very good. Wished the doctors could follow.

1 Like

They don’t get paid very much, have to work a lot and see easily 2-3x more patients a day. There are amazing doctors, most of them are private or head of a department which you’ll need to be on a waiting list unless you know someone.

But that’s insane they’re giving you morphine, were you like screaming like a mad man? That’s the only other way I’ve heard of people getting opiates here. Screaming so loud they want to shut you up with something strong.

Indeed. Truth spoken.

I am totalling against the number of patients they see in a day. How can a doctor keep the ‘humanity’ in health care after seeing 150 patients in 3 hours? So I understand. I just think the doctors association or whatever necessary should meet with government to change this or try to educate the elders and people in general of the useful/uselessness of seeing a doctor in each situation.
Anyways, I am not a doctor so I don’t know what is behind the system. What I can say is that less ‘developed’ countries give better attention and treatment to patients and that is a huge disappointment because taiwan has all the tools and medical infrastructure (hospital machinery etc) for being better than them. Here you can have an MRI done within a couple of days in a private hospital, but they barely analyze the result. The situation is sad when you have to point out the osteoma in your MRI image that the doctor didn’t even see.

End of rant.

Never screamed. When I am in pain I become mute. I try to move as little as possible to not increase the pain.

I have friggin’ problem to get some meds from my GP, he always tells me he need to apply to get me a months worth of some pain killers, sleeping pills or similar, normally I just get 3-7 tablets/capsules. Very much controlled. Only Valium and Diazipam you can get a boatload of.

1 Like

Not to be one sided I must admit my endocrinologist is very controlling giving me T4… go figure. He says needs NHI approval etc if you need more than 2 pills per day. T4 is controlled but the heavy stuff is not. T3 is not even sold on the island… oh the dangers of T3.

Sleeping pills are very hard to get too. I didn’t need them yet, but an older family member did, and she only got because she is almost a centenary citizen so they saw her sleeping problem as quite life disturbing because she was always restless.

All other specialities never gave me a month of pain killers either. Not even close.

Last month I went to the doctor for bronchitis and was kind of shocked when this cough syrup with opium was prescribed. The quotes around “health” were a bit scary as well.

2 Likes

The classic “brown mixture” cough syrup. Beats the hell out of the synthetic crap you get back home, personally

3 Likes