Ketogenic "Keto" diet in Taiwan

You mean they use high gluten flour?

Added protein.

What protein?

32266487_602371003461900_82119980857950208_n

Yeah, thanks. I understand Chinese language as much as Chinese logic.

Again, that extra “protein” is probably gluten, which is the protein naturally found in grain. And that now has become so unpopular among some people.

See the percentages. What they mean is that there is more protein available, plus a lot of other stuff good for you.

Yeah, sure… I’m sure the person who made that thing knows a lot of dietetics and medicine in general.

I’m giong to tell you a secret: eat a bit of everything, not a lot of few things, and you should do fine. If problems persist, go to a doctor. But if we had to follow all these trends… sorry, I only have one body and I like it (so far).

It says the protein is from beans and wheat. So yeah, possibly extra gluten, but unless you’re gluten-intolerant that isn’t necessarily a problem. It certainly isn’t a problem merely because some journalists have decided it’s the new cholesterol.

LCHF actually does advocate a bit of everything, and more variety than the standard American diet. The point of contention hinges on the definition of ‘a bit’ - LCHF takes the view that carbs are non-essential so ‘a bit’ is very little, while fats are critical and therefore ‘a bit’ looks like quite a lot to anyone raised on the stodge-based ‘balanced’ diet.

1 Like

According to that label, the extra protein is coming from soy. Oops, Finley beat me to it.

Basically, we are having way too much sugar from a lot of different sources. It is hurting our health. So these measures to move the balance to another option make sense. The “extreme” is just a measure to correct many problems, health issues, caused by too much sugar in our daily diets.

To combat insulin resistance, the LCHF diets propose a change in fuel. Thos eof us on “diets” do so because we have health issues to address -overweight is an issue, but the health issue is insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, hormonal imbalances, etc. That si why we take drastic measures to try to fix a problem years in the making from excessive amounts of intake of mainly sugar in all its forms. Carbs just happen in general to have a little bit too much sugar. That is why it is better say to consume a salad wit your fatty meat, as the salad has potasum and many oterh good thinsg for you and is low in sugar. Better than a pizza, that is.

1 Like

I like gluten :slight_smile:

So I’ve been following the IF diet that @lotus425 recommended upthread. One meal a day, usually around 5:30pm. We like to go out on Saturday lunch, so I’ve cheated a bit.

This afternoon I chugged a bottle of water and got on the scale. 97.4kg. Not bad.

My experience has been that I am hungry but (after the first few days) I am no longer feeling ravenous by the time I eat. I eat a very large meal. I also drink copious amounts of coffee until early afternoon, when I stop. I lift twice a week, and go at it pretty hard for 90-120 minutes at a time. On lift days I finish lifting by 4:30pm. That day’s meal I go out of my way to eat extra protein. I did not go to the doctor beforehand or since.

I don’t drink much beer, but I do like whiskey. No cocktails or mixers, though. Just a glass of whiskey now and then.

Doc lotus425 mentioned that your muscles will be depleted of glycogen around 18 hours after eating. Sure enough, around noon each day I think I can sense that.

So far so good, and I am down 1.6kg or so.

2 Likes

Good one to remember when trying to get into and remain in ketosis.

https://youtu.be/qKBlVe13FoQ

Good job bojack. You will be losing around 1 kg per week at this pace. Eventually your stomach size will shrink and you will get used to eating one meal a day. One crucial point when doing IF is to drink plenty of water throughout the day. Acid level of gastric contents will become more acidic the longer you fast. Drinking plenty of water throughout the day is important to dilute the gastric content acidity and to prevent acid reflux or gastritis symptoms.

The hippocampus can’t decipher thirst or hunger signals and always signal you to shove things inside your mouth. Do not eat food unless you are peeing out clear urine. Yellow urine is indicative of mild dehydration. Hence you should use water to quench thirst and not shove food into your mouth to quench your thirst

2 Likes

Is Taiwan obsessed with Keto?! Haha not.
Keto and Taiwan both mentioned in one news article.

1 Like

Quite surprised to see the Daily Fail publishing an article like that. It’s been previously quite keen to join the low-carb-bashing fad:

Anything can be justified, and then come to the wrong conclusion. Even that the earth is flat.

1 Like

Great Taiwan meal keto friendly. Hakka style Pork belly and mustard greens 芥末綠色 ( very similar to soul food southern USA).

20180610_201328

Water spinach, Kangkong 豆腐乳空心菜 (very healthy and strangly listed on the USDA internet site as a “Class A noxious weed”, especially in the states of Florida, California, and Hawaii, where it can be observed growing in the wild.)

20180610_201350

Pot liquor!

1 Like

:rofl: