Ketogenic "Keto" diet in Taiwan

For me, I’m finding that keeping track of the carbs is possibly the biggest contribution to me following a good diet. I can check before I eat or check after I eat and note which ones to avoid later. It’s also like a constant reminder.

Very quick and easy to do with a smartphone app

Address?

Why do you want to know my address? Is it for my wife’s baking skills? Or for my hairy legs? Anyway, this is highly inappropriate, stalking is no joke, m8.

1 Like

Dōng pō ròu 東坡肉 Share where?

礁溪寒沐酒店 MU JIAO XI HOTEL

20180617120525_IMG_3227

20180617120237_IMG_3224

20180617120206_IMG_3222

20180617120258_IMG_3225

4 Likes

Started my new low carb plan. One bourbon, one scotch, and no beer.

P_20180724_184612_vHDR_Auto

6 Likes

Oh that looks nice…almost as nice as a pair of nice hairy legs, but I still prefer dong puo rou!

1 Like

Better change the song.

1 Like

Thank you I’m going!

Another 1 kilo gone in 4 days for total of 5.3 lost. Using the same electronic scale every time.

I love that place. I do believe In Paradise in Taipei is even better, but:

A) In Paradise can be twice as expensive depending on when you go

B) In Paradise doesn’t have the Godly Pork meat

Pshaw. Just this morning I lost 2.2 kg, no special diet!

And that was from a two-hour bike ride, moderately well hydrated, or so I thought. Damn, you guys who go for day-long rides, how much water weight do you lose on one of those?!

1 Like

Sorry to break it to the keto people. But keto diets are known to slow down your metabolism. It lowers your thyroid function and gives negative feedback to your T3 levels. Does it work to shed fat, yes the science shows it does. But in the long term, if you break the keto diet you are going to put on a lot of weight with low T3 levels and possibly have hypothyroidism.

Did no one read how terrible the keto diet is for normal people? 1 in 6 children in one study suffered hypothyroidism after going on the keto and had to take T3 or T4 hormones. It also fucks with your Insulin. It’s a tool for bodybuilders who take and manipulate insulin for fat loss and muscle gain and they take T3-T4 for pre competition with keto.

For normal everyday working people. I doubt they can have the discipline to keep the diet, monitor their thyroid levels, manipulate insulin levels from lifestyle to chemical enhancements and monitor and manage T3 and T4 levels blood tests and with chemical enhancements.

2 Likes

Welcome supermarkets carry a range of coconut oils and a lot cheaper than Jason’s…

1 Like

Well, exercise slows down your metabolism too (ie., it increases your metabolic efficiency), but nobody argues that’s a bad thing.

Unless you have something actually wrong with your thyroid, any adjustment in thyroid hormone output is, by definition, correct. Unless you have symptoms of hypothyroidism, you’re not actually “hypo” whatever your blood measurements might be. Likewise with the hormones produced by your pancreas.

I’ve read this one in various places but I’ve never been able to trace the study that purported to show this result. I can’t help wondering if those kids really were eating a keto diet, or the bastardized version of it that the popular press promotes (also known as the steak-and-eggs diet). I’m a bit wary or rolling out the Masai example again - since there are valid criticisms regarding the studies of that culture - but as far as we know Masai kids don’t grow up stunted and hypothyroid. Quite the opposite, in fact. The 1980’s obsession with low-fat diets produced a bunch of very damaged infants; fortunately, that nonsense was stopped pretty sharpish once kids started turning up at hospitals with symptoms of malnutrition.

Having said that, my personal feeling is that sustained ‘keto’ is no more natural than a sustained high-carb diet; I’ve mentioned elsewhere that a diet matched to seasonal availability of local foods would inevitably vary, with a 12-month cycle, from low-carb to high-carb and back again. It’s entirely possible that giving your pancreas next-to-nothing to do for many years is not a good plan, which is why most low-carb diets actually phase carbs back in (at 50-100g/day) when a weight-loss target has been reached.

They were selling two-for-one a while ago (ie., about NT350 for two 500g jars). Good value, especially since coconut oil, being a saturated fat, is very stable and can be stored for a long time.

I use the big tub from Costco for hair and skin, and the small one from the organic store for cooking.

Keep in mind weight fluctuates quite a bit for a variety of reasons. Imo it’s best to weigh yourself first thing in the morning, in the nude, after fully evacuating yourself. I don’t know how you do it but I wanted to post that as general advice; I see a lot of people at the gym weighing themselves without taking their shoes off nor putting down their bag.

I’ve got a question though. I’m interested in trying this out for the purported mental health benefits more than anything. But I don’t have a kitchen and can’t really afford Korean BBQ and hotpot every day. What else really is there? I guess the deep fried stuff and the meat smothered in sauces are probably not kosher, which doesn’t seem to leave a lot of choices at the buffet (much less appertising ones).

I’ve listed things I eat Keto in Taiwan throughout this thread. Others have also gave ideas. And always open to more suggestions for eating Keto in Taiwan.

And you really need to research because without the right foods, you won’t get the mental clarity, and probably get “Keto flu” with no clarity and tired.

A few available things in Taiwan.
Hakka style Pork belly and mustard greens
Hot Pot meat and vegetables only in clear water or simple broth
Barbeque meat no sauce
Sashimi
Egg and cheese omelette
Salads
German sausage, sauerkraut and salad

For starters, just do what you do normally and take out the starches: rice, potatoes, etc. Added sugars have to go. Sugary drinks. Milk. You can ease into it. Then the next step is to increase fat content, so you will feel full. Bit of butter and bacon with your breakfast, bit of cheese and maybe asausage or two at lunch. Fat and sugar make a deadly combination, but once your system gets used to burning fat, you are good to go.

Basically, it is the less diet of all diet, because it is adding, not taking.

For example, everyone can benefit from more veggies in their diet. Salad is a great way to eat in summer. Add an egg, add tuna or shredded chicken. Add blos of mayo. Be wary of packed salad dressings, they have loads of sugar. A simple dressing is olive oil and vinagrette, you won’t regrette, hahahaha.

I had a big salad and a steak for lubnch. Breakfast was a triple egg omelette, with capsicum and onion and tomato and Taiwanese basil and mushrooms. Oh and cheese with jalapenos. There was a sausage but I forgot about it. It will be dinner along with veggies.

1 Like