Ketogenic "Keto" diet in Taiwan

It is keto if you add some fats. I like to eat double cheese burger at Mac Donald’s and add a patty and then not eat the buns. I sometimes order two, or one and a grilled chicken salad.

I love to eat this way but I lack the finances to. I can do it every so often as indulgences but not as a regular diet. Hot pot us the closest I can do it. Problem is most the filling comes from the fries. So if you’re willing to be hungry soon after, just eat only patties.

Mcnuggets is pretty good though.

You won’t eat fries if you are on keto. And the meal I described will help you feel full if you are on keto.

If you want cheap (or budget) then go to breakfast shop (breakfast, or at lunch time) and get some 荷包蛋. Get 6 and feel super full. Add a slice of bacon to treat yourself. Get a black coffee.

1 Like

I could do that at home. I guess tea eggs work as well.

But I mentioned fries because it actually has lasting filling power to me. I don’t know why, but not all carbs are created equal it seems. For me the least filling is sugar and white rice, and the most filling is potato and glutineous rice. Noodle is somewhere in the middle. I won’t say sugar and white rice is the least filling, but it burns the fastest. I can eat a bowl of rice until I’m so stuffed that I can’t eat anymore (I might not be able to keep it down, white rice tastes like crap on its own), and I’ll be ravenously hungry 5 hours later.

It’s why I often throw the white rice out or limit their intake when I eat lunch boxes.

McNuggets are pretty bloody awful when you’ve successfully adjusted your palate and body to not always want junk food. I used to eat them fairly regularly (maybe a decade ago), but these days they literally make me feel nauseous for the next couple of hours.

If I were you, I’d be looking into trying some kind of elimination diet for at least a week or two and see what happens.

You’d have to do the research (I don’t know a lot and this isn’t dietary advice), but personally, if it were me (it isn’t) and I didn’t have the internet (I do, and so do you), I’d just go buy a load of meat from Costco and eat that exclusively for at least a week, with nothing else except salt, oil, and water. Maybe sticking to an eating window of 10 hours or something wherever possible. After that, I’d maybe start including garlic/garlic powder and black pepper or something for flavor before gradually reintroducing other things like eggs, while paying attention to what happens with your body.

I reckon that NT$1000–1200 of chicken breasts (or leg/thigh, if you prefer) and pork (loin, or whatever the thin steaks with the fat on are) would last me about a week at least without too much discomfort.

Might be a bit inconvenient at first, but given you currently have the shits all the time it seems important to figure that out, and I doubt that McDonald’s, the cheapest hotpot and buffet places, and lunchboxes are the way to do that.

I’ve had a variety of “balanced diets” in my life. I’ve had the shits back then (and this is in my teens, in military, etc.).

Before I discovered imodium, I literally had days where I can’t leave the house because I needed to be no more than a few feet from a toilet. It was that bad. It was a huge problem in high school in fact. My stomach would cramp like crazy and only going to the bathroom would fix it (and in high school I had to ask to go use the bathroom, often I just tell the teacher that I needed to go to the nurse, and I’d go at the bathroom there because it was the only clean bathroom in the entire school).

It isn’t diet, because no change in diet throughout my life fixed it. Imodium fixed it. I’ve tried days when I ate hardly any carb and it didn’t change my bowel habit at all. It’s basically consistent throughout my life.

I haven’t suggested a “balanced” diet. An elimination diet is pretty much the exact opposite, with the goal of figuring out what’s causing your problems.

Okay, if you say so. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Just continue with the junk food then. It’s your body, and your problem to deal with or ignore as you see fit. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I know I should probably consult a real doctor on this but they’ll just tell me to eat a balanced diet.

A diet consisting of only meat and nothing else is problematic. We’re talking scurvy and other vitamin deficiencies.

I mean it could just be a gluten issue. So maybe that could be a start.

Yeah, they likely will, which is why I’m suggesting to do some research about elimination diets and try them.

You can read Chinese. I imagine you’re not the only person in Taiwan to ever face similar problems and could easily look for reviews of better doctors online.

Dude, you’re not gonna get scurvy by trying an elimination diet for a couple of weeks. It takes months to develop, and I presume people who follow carnivore diets have a way to deal with that.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll give it a try. But it’s going to cost a lot to do for a week.

Honestly, I don’t think so. Like I said above, I reckon I could do it for somewhere around NT$1000–1200 per week if I needed to. How much do you normally spend on food each week?

A bit less than this for sure. I get free food from my uncle but these are like 90% white rice, which I throw out a lot of (I take the meat, and throw out the white rice, as much as I can anyways). I do eat some white rice because if I didn’t, I wouldn’t have much else to eat.

Sometimes, I’ll buy ingredients from the nearby market and make hot pot.

Once a week I indulge myself with hot pot, around 300nt on average.

1200 per week is luxury level spending for me.

It’s a rough upper estimate of what I’d expect to spend doing that, buying what I’d buy, without really making an effort to save money. Not a strict value.

I imagine it could be done cheaper if you try, but you’d need to figure that out.

Obviously if you’re primarily relying on donated food at the moment, supplemented by junk food and the cheapest lunchboxes available in Taiwan, pretty much anything is going to be more expensive than that. But then this comes back to trying to earn some money and improve your situation (whatever it takes, even if you don’t want to have a real job) so you don’t need to live from other people’s charity to scrape by. You’re a healthy adult, as far as I can tell, and I don’t want to fucking work either but it’s a necessity if I want to be able to survive. And that’s the topic of multiple other threads. :man_shrugging:

I’ve personally found that long term ketosis hasn’t been optimal for athletic performance. Along with many reports of it tanking testosterone in men.

I seem to be doing fine eating some carbs as long as I’m active.

Maybe I’m genetically gifted but I’ve always found that i can get away with eating anything as long as I’m getting enough protein and get relatively lean and perform athletically.

1 Like

An elimination diet, by definition, involves a lot of elimination, so it’s not particularly expensive. I second @Andrew’s advice to try it. A proper gastroenterologist will most likely tell you to do the same thing, except he’ll charge you $200 a pop for weekly followups.

The point, of course, is that you don’t just eat nothing but meat forever. The goal is to start with the bare minimum compatible with life, using ingredients that few people are allergic to (beef or pork is a reasonable start - almost nobody is allergic to these) and then introduce additional things one by one over a period of weeks. Eventually you’ll hit something that triggers the squirts. Avoid any kind of plant-derived oil at this point: use only lard. You may like to add coconut oil and olive oil once you’ve stabilized.

Yes, it’s unpleasant for the first couple of weeks, but it’s probably a lot less unpleasant than always wondering where the nearest toilet is.

Malnutrition is unlikely. By around week six you should be eating a reasonably varied diet with meat, fat, and some vegetables (introduce beans last - some people react badly to certain chemicals in beans). You can take a multivitamin if you like, but it’s probably not essential.

A fairly important point here is that you do need to start from a zero baseline - meat and fat. The reason is that if you have some kind of inflammatory process going on (there are many types of bowel disorder which all look vaguely similar from the bathroom but are actually very different in their biological origin), things that you would normally tolerate may trigger something nasty when you are in this hypersensitized state. It’s not a very good analogy, but imagine rubbing salt on your unbroken skin, and then trying the same thing on a graze.

Obviously, if you stick to eating meat and fat for two weeks and nothing changes, then your problem is not diet related. But do give it time. You’ve probably caused yourself some semi-permanent damage by taking imodium for years on end.

2 Likes