Khan!

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8469411.stm

I don’t think Warren would have let Kahn fight Maidana. A very brave choice of opponent.

Pencilled in for April 17th on the undercard of RJJ Bhop. I really thought Jones would have retired after his last defeat. I think Hopkins is going to hurt him.

[quote=“tomthorne”]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8469411.stm

I don’t think Warren would have let Kahn fight Maidana. A very brave choice of opponent.

Pencilled in for April 17th on the undercard of RJJ Bhop. I really thought Jones would have retired after his last defeat. I think Hopkins is going to hurt him.[/quote]

Jones and Khan are both going to get hurt.

Khan is going :thumbsdown:

and Jones is going to be :blush:

Yeah, Khan’s got really good but I can’t believe he’s going to be able to stay away from Maidana for 12 months. I think he’ll get knocked out sometime in the middle rounds, my guess the 6th. Warren would have put him in against someone light-hitting like Magliani, he’s in with the lions now.

I assume that RJJ just considers it a last pay day before retirement and considers himself still good enough not to get too badly roughed up by Hopkins. Trouble is, Hopkins has a long memory and is a nasty piece of work and he’ll still be looking to get some kind of revenge for their last fight. I think it could get very messy for RJJ, I think Hopkins will hurt him badly but deliberately not finish him off.

[quote=“tomthorne”]Yeah, Khan’s got really good but I can’t believe he’s going to be able to stay away from Maidana for 12 months. I think he’ll get knocked out sometime in the middle rounds, my guess the 6th. Warren would have put him in against someone light-hitting like Magliani, he’s in with the lions now.

I assume that RJJ just considers it a last pay day before retirement and considers himself still good enough not to get too badly roughed up by Hopkins. Trouble is, Hopkins has a long memory and is a nasty piece of work and he’ll still be looking to get some kind of revenge for their last fight. I think it could get very messy for RJJ, I think Hopkins will hurt him badly but deliberately not finish him off.[/quote]

I’d love to see Hop fight Haye. Haye will give him what he has had coming all these years.

If Khan does manage a win then I will be totally converted and become a big fan. Can’t see it happening though but that’s the fun of boxing.

Khan has had hand picked opponents since Prescott. Fagan was an out and out bum, but thats ok for your first fight back since a 60 second ko. Barrera was old 4 divisions above his best weight class and butted for a cut. Koelnik was described by Khan as the worst world champion in boxing. He also could not punch for shit. The last guy, had been put down numerous times early and was on no independent rating, had fought no one, had no redeeming feature. All those opponents had one thing in common, no power.

Gomez and Lomond hurt Khan badly before Prescott nailed him. Roach is doing a good job, but he has not been hit back under Roach so we don’t know how much good. When he gets hit by a banger, someone like Kendall Holt, Devon Alexander, Tim Bradley or Juan Urango will do, then we will know ( what we already know ) that he cannot hold a shot. It happened in the amateurs too in his last or second to last fight. He gets hit on the chin and his legs go.

Maidana is next he can hit, but Khan will be too fast for him and he is chinny too. But this is a danger fight for Amir.

Amir has everything a fighter needs offensively, but nothing a fighter needs when its coming back at him. Its a shame. He will be the pound for pound cherry picking world champion. He will never unify a division, because every division will have someone he needs to avoid.

[quote=“riggers”]Khan has had hand picked opponents since Prescott. Fagan was an out and out bum, but thats ok for your first fight back since a 60 second ko. Barrera was old 4 divisions above his best weight class and butted for a cut. Koelnik was described by Khan as the worst world champion in boxing. He also could not punch for shit. The last guy, had been put down numerous times early and was on no independent rating, had fought no one, had no redeeming feature. All those opponents had one thing in common, no power.

Gomez and Lomond hurt Khan badly before Prescott nailed him. Roach is doing a good job, but he has not been hit back under Roach so we don’t know how much good. When he gets hit by a banger, someone like Kendall Holt, Devon Alexander, Tim Bradley or Juan Urango will do, then we will know ( what we already know ) that he cannot hold a shot. It happened in the amateurs too in his last or second to last fight. He gets hit on the chin and his legs go.

Maidana is next he can hit, but Khan will be too fast for him and he is chinny too. But this is a danger fight for Amir.

Amir has everything a fighter needs offensively, but nothing a fighter needs when its coming back at him. Its a shame. He will be the pound for pound cherry picking world champion. He will never unify a division, because every division will have someone he needs to avoid.[/quote]

Yah I agree. :thumbsup:

The main difference is Maidana goes down but he gets back up again. He then KOs his opponents.

I’m very, very surprised that Khan’s being chucked in against Maidana. I can’t honestly see him staying away for 12 rounds. Having said that, Kotelnik went the distance against Maidana and won on points (although a typical German home decision, Kotelnik looked like he’d walked face first into a truck while Maidana hardly had a mark on him).

If Khan can keep Maidana on the outside, and use his range and speed, then he might win like Kotelnik did. I just don’t think Khan can do it for 12 rounds, and Kotelnik still had to ship a lot of punches when he did it. I honestly thought that Khan would relinquish his belt in order to duck Maidana (he definitely would have done under Warren), all credit to Khan and GBP for taking on this fight. I hope he wins, but I’m betting on Maidana.

[quote=“tomthorne”]The main difference is Maidana goes down but he gets back up again. He then KOs his opponents.

I’m very, very surprised that Khan’s being chucked in against Maidana. I can’t honestly see him staying away for 12 rounds. Having said that, Kotelnik went the distance against Maidana and won on points (although a typical German home decision, Kotelnik looked like he’d walked face first into a truck while Maidana hardly had a mark on him).

If Khan can keep Maidana on the outside, and use his range and speed, then he might win like Kotelnik did. I just don’t think Khan can do it for 12 rounds, and Kotelnik still had to ship a lot of punches when he did it. I honestly thought that Khan would relinquish his belt in order to duck Maidana (he definitely would have done under Warren), all credit to Khan and GBP for taking on this fight. I hope he wins, but I’m betting on Maidana.[/quote]

Yah Maidana is just the kind of fighter I like. :thumbsup:

I did not see the full Kotelnik Maidana fight, but all the reports say it was a deserved decision. The clips i saw were of a give and take fight.

Maidana was hurt repeatedly by Ortiz and Khan blew him away in 2 rounds.

Maidana has fought no one else of note, there is no one there that if Khan had fought them he would not have beaten.

I can obviously see a scenario where Maidana does win, i just think technically he is way too limited for someone of Khans ability, speed etc. If he hits Khan on the chin…

how long we got to wait to see all these fights. I’m getting board. Seems there is one on all the time in UFC. I am getting boxing cold turkey lol
Where the hell is the hitman. bring him back for a brawl or two win or lose just bring him back. :thumbsup:

I’m getting board without the English hype machine it often falls flat on its face but it sure is entertaining.

guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/fe … ggi-boxing

Heh, heh. Of course, it had to be Malignaggi. Nice and safe.

[quote=“tomthorne”]http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/feb/11/amir-khan-paulie-malignaggi-boxing

Heh, heh. Of course, it had to be Malignaggi. Nice and safe.[/quote]
Well at least he will be fresh for Hatton to mince up

You can imagine the situation in Roach’s gym. The GBP guys banging on about Maidana, Marquez, Urango etc. Then they watch Khan doing some sparring against some light middles. “Errrr, anyone know Malignaggi’s phone number?”.

the only match most want to see is Khan versus Hatton or a re-match with Presecot. I’d pay to see any of those. The only saving grace for this match is that they have a hate fest going on between the two of them. Should be a good way in lol :roflmao:

Watched Warren’s new bunch last night. Mitchell was outstanding, and looks like he has much more potential than Khan IMO. DeGale and the others were also very good, but Nathan Cleverly was by far the star of the show. He had a 50%+ success rate on punches thrown during his 4 round KO of some Italian guy.

Tony Bellew will give us all the answers about Cleverley, who looks good so far.

Mitchells fight was a gimme last night , and justifiably so after Prescott, especially with Katsidis looming. That fight can only end up as an absolute war.

Frankie Gavin will go all the way, assuming his skin holds up, he has it all and then some.

Malignaggi may not be a puncher, but he is without a doubt the best fighter Khan has ever fought. He took Cotto 12. If the odds are good i will back him.

Yes, Gavin is very special.

Bet on Malignaggi getting KO’d, IMO.