Kidney of cow

Where can I buy kidney for like, pie making purposes and such?

What happens if i substitute pig kidney or chicken kidney?

Pig kidney tastes a lot different to beef kidney and I wouldn’t substitute, but it’s easier to get “off the shelf.” However, I’ve found that in my local RTMart, where they have the actual butchery section right next to the meat display, you can knock on the window and ask the guys for stuff and they’ll be happy to provide it for you even if it’s not something that normally gets put out for sale.
Chicken kidneys are, erm… kinda little. I can’t even find any non-Chinese recipes for them.

Nan Men market on Roosevelt.

I’ve found that most “variety cuts” from pig animals, such as kidneys, liver, tongue, etc., compared to their bovine counterparts, tend to be way richer and have a much stronger taste, making them decidedly poor substitutes, as Snadman says.
Hold out for the proper species if you can.

And if it’s steak & kidney, be sure to make one extra. My information doesn’t come free.

Make it 2, you’ll have to go through me to get to him.

[quote=“lupillus”]
What happens if i substitute pig kidney or chicken kidney?[/quote]

I’m pretty sure the cow would die.

[quote]Where Can I Find…? kidney of cow[/quote]Should be just below the diaphragm, between vertebrae T12 and L3. Unless you’re Mel Gibson, who has a single horseshoe-shaped kidney. But then he’s not a cow, but this condition is more common in cows than people.

[quote=“sandman”]
Chicken kidneys are, erm… kinda little. I can’t even find any non-Chinese recipes for them.[/quote]

Sure - chicken liver mousse. Fresh chicken liver, quatre epice, salt, pepper, maybe be a small bit of real foi gras, put in blender, then some small ramekin, put in a water bath (in a baking pan) and bake at medium heat until firm, cover with tinfoil if getting too dark, Pop it out of the ramekin before eating on some nice toast. Sometimes you can get it for free when puchasing chicken meat.

Kidney, Elegua, not liver.
Good point, though. I used to buy tubs of chicken livers at home for making pate (Bade) (Bade) (Bade) (Bade) (Bade) (Bade) (Bade) (Bade) but I haven’t ever seen them here I don’t think.
Don’t cover it with foil, though – melt some butter, add some fresh herbs, and pour that over the top to create a seal. Much better taste, much worse for your health.

[quote=“sandman”]Kidney, Elegua, not liver.
Good point, though. I used to buy tubs of chicken livers at home for making Pate (Bade) (Bade) (Bade) (Bade) (Bade) (Bade) (Bade) (Bade) (Bade) but I haven’t ever seen them here I don’t think.
Don’t cover it with foil, though – melt some butter, add some fresh herbs, and pour that over the top to create a seal. Much better taste, much worse for your health.[/quote]

You caught me day dreaming :blush: Kidneys, not livers. Chicken kidneys are bitter. :stuck_out_tongue: I wouldn’t know what to do with them.

Yeah - now that you remind me, I may have forgotten to mention the couple of sticks of butter that go into the livers when they go into the blender. Anyway, I found tin-foil is a way to keep the colory that pinky, grey liver color.

You should just try and find a local butcher and ask them about what you want. they use almost all parts of the animal here. We have a local butcher here just around the corner from us who sells us (very cheap) chicken heads and necks for the dogs to eat. The butcher knows my roommate and keeps them aside for her. Its really cheap as well. If it’s something they don’t uaually sell much of, they will probably sell it to you pretty cheap since it is there and they don’t have anything to do with it. You just have to find the right butcher.

And yes… I did say chicken heads for the dogs. They love them, and who wouldn’t want to greet the morning with a nice cup of coffee, some toast and the sound of four dogs crunching through the skulls of a bunch of chicken bones for breakfast? I know my mornings would never be this exciting back home!!!