Kids carving up their arms

The other night I was out with some Taiwanese friends who have a daughter in the 7th grade. I noticed her arm was all bandaged and that she was really quiet all through dinner. Later in the evening I learned that she had recently taken a knife and tried to carve characters into her forearm.

Then yesterday I was talking with a friend who teaches junior high phys ed. I mentioned the incident to him and he wasn

The world is full of disturbed kids … :s

I had a friend in college who used to make “stress reliever” cuts on her wrist.

Scary.

I didn’t like driving with her.

I haven’t heard of any kids in Taiwan doing this, but when I was in high school, the football idiots were burning freshly hot pot bowls onto their wrists.

The “cool” kids in 6th grade, where my kids attend school, are also carving their arms with knives.

I try to tell my kids how stupid and un-cool it is, but since when did kids that age listen to their parents???

If I remember correctly, this is a known and diagnosed physchological phenomena.
At least I think I remember reading of this quite a few years back. Maybe in a Dear Abby column or something…it just sounds familiar.

[quote=“X3M”]The “cool” kids in 6th grade, where my kids attend school, are also carving their arms with knives.

I try to tell my kids how stupid and un-cool it is, but since when did kids that age listen to their parents???[/quote]

My new goal is to make my kid uncool.

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“X3M”]The “cool” kids in 6th grade, where my kids attend school, are also carving their arms with knives.

I try to tell my kids how stupid and un-cool it is, but since when did kids that age listen to their parents???[/quote]

My new goal is to make my kid uncool.[/quote]

To do that, you probably have to tell him to be super-cool, they coolest guy around - as kids seldom listen, you can be pretty sure that he will be “un-cool”…

Kids used to do it back home when I was at school. They would carve a heart or a name into their arm with a compass point or something stupid like that. Then Yo-yo’s came into fashion. Suddenly the craze stopped and everyone could do yoyo tricks.

Alternatively you can make yourself tragically hip, that way the kid will do his/her utmost to be a nerdy geek. I’m trying desperately.

Well, there’s the fashinable through to the downright pathological. Slashers, that’s the in-house medical term for self-abusers are usually harder cases and I have seen quite a bit of evidence of them in Taiwan over the years. Quite often the slashing female yoof of today is simply, and rather unspectacularly, tomorrow’s psycho xiaojie.

[quote]Why do young people harm themselves?
Young people who self-harm have often had very difficult or painful experiences or relationships. These may include:

Bullying or discrimination
Losing someone close to them such as a parent, brother, sister or friend
Lack of love and affection or neglect by parents or carers
Physical or sexual abuse
A serious illness that affects the way they feel about themselves.
Other young people may start to self-harm as a way of dealing with the problems and pressures of everyday life. Pressure can come from family, school and peer groups to conform or to perform well (for example in getting good exam results). Young people can be made to feel angry, frustrated or bad about themselves if they cannot live up to other people’s expectations.[/quote]

Yada yada yada . . . bearing all of the above in mind, I find the best cure is to soak the wounds in rubbing alcohol and beat the attention-seeking little shits ferociously. It’s funny how unpleasant “harm” becomes when it’s administered by someone else.

By the way, I’m damned near ready to patent my alternative “thump- therapy” techniques if anyone is interested in advancing these revisits to an older and more simple era of psychiatric care.

HG

Damn man! If you ever need a teaching job…

Thanks JD, but keep in mind I’m going though my tragically hip scare off would be cool kiddies phase.

A recent photo

HG

just tell them you and your dad and his dad all did it years and years ago… taiwan is so behind the times…

I teach a few high school kids who told me that it’s common for some of the kids their age to cut themselves when they don’t “perform” well on their exams. It’s a form of self-punishment in their cases, not trying to be cool.

I’ve been telling my boy for the past 4 years or so that when he becomes a teenager, he will enter the period of his life when he will be at his absolute stupidest… the idea is to have this notion deeply ingrained into his psyche and memory, so that when he begins to behave stupidly as a teen, I can remind him that he is being stupid, and he will have some reference/recall, and will realize that I am not just making the accusation up at the moment.

So far so good… but, we are only nearing the end of the first teen year.

And then he looks at dad and says to himself: “Just exactly how long does the teen period last? 30 years?”

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]
A recent photo

HG[/quote] :bravo: :bravo: :notworthy: :bravo: :bravo:

They stole my idea.

sandman: [color=red]And then he looks at dad and says to himself: “Just exactly how long does the teen period last? 30 years?”[/color]

Damn… I hope that’s all… :blush: