Kids drinking formula

What are people’s views on their children drinking formula? I don’t mean as an alternative to breastfeeding (there are other threads which talk about that), but for older kids after weaning? This seems to be quite a difference in diet between westerners and Taiwanese.

It seems most Taiwanese kids drink formula for many years (I’m sure i’ve seen formula advertised aimed at up to 10-year-olds) - and the formula is specifically designed for their needs. Of course the manufacturers claim there are all sorts of nutrients in there that a young kid needs. Also, one factor is that the vast majority of Chinese are lactose intolerant, so there’s no culture of milk-drinking here, and it’s partly a milk substitute.

My basic assumption was that, once you’ve gone through the weaning process, your kids generally move to eating the same food as you (within reason, obviously) - and so continuing with formula seems a bit weird. However, when challenged by my wife as to why I wasn’t keen on supplementing his diet with formula, I couldn’t think of any good reason.

So which is it? Are the formula companies exploiting the Taiwanese obsession with having a bigger/taller kid than their next-door-neighbour, or is it a healthy addition to a normal diet?

Artificial milk is artificial milk. Do you drink artificial beer or wine? Why not give kids natural (dioxin filled :blush: ) milk or juice istead of genetically engineered once-was-soy and god knows what that makes up formula.

Formula companies are in the business of making money. There’s more money to be made if you can persuade people to feed their kids formula to as late an age as you can get away with.
They’re not doing it well enough, though. If I was a formula marketer, and given the way kids here are mollycoddled by their parents, I’d be looking at ways to sell it to 17-18 year olds – maybe tell people it increases exam-passing ability or something.

I think formula is so popular here because for many years the only milk easily available was in powdered form.
A doctor friend of mine said formula ensures they are getting the full variety of nutrients they need in case they aren’t getting that through regular food. According to him it’s alot of work to get the full variety needed on a daily basis with regular food…and so they supplement with formula.
He also said this is one of the reasons kids are much taller then 20 years ago.

I don’t totally agree because it doesn’t jive with kids in America being tall, and I guess other western countries where they don’t drink formula for such a long time.

We still give our two year old goat milk formula a few times a day. It’s not going to hurt anything I think if it’s also good enough for babies.

Iv’e heard most “fresh” milk here is made from powder anyway…so what’s the difference? Formula is just fortified with more things than vitamin D.

Most companies are :laughing:

They’re not doing it well enough, though. If I was a formula marketer, and given the way kids here are mollycoddled by their parents, I’d be looking at ways to sell it to 17-18 year olds – maybe tell people it increases exam-passing ability or something.
[/quote]

Have a look in the supermarket next time. I beleive they do have formula for teenagers and many adverts suggest higher I.Q’s and stuff like that.
There’s even formula for old people!

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

You can buy a can of powder and mix it with water by yourself, or you can buy “real milk” which basically means that someone has mixed it for you. It’s not at all easy to find fresh milk in Taiwan. IMO, powder is just cheaper to buy and more convinient to store.

Just make sure you don’t overload your kid with artificial vitamins. Special formulas contain a whole lot of vitamins already, so there’s no need to give the kid additional multivitamins. And some formulas might contain too much sugar - you can check that on the can.

And juice is definately worse than milk or formulas - supermarket juices are not much better than Coke or Fanta actually.

I asked my pediatrician about the milk vs. formula thing here in Taiwan. He told me his view is you don’t need to give your kids formula, milk is just fine. His view was to give kids something as natural as possible and not to fall for the advertising hype. He said, give him more of a variety of food to get those vitamins. My inlaws really wanted to give my son formula, they were worried about him needing the formula goodies, but the doctor helped clarify that.

Notsu, the juice issue gives me a headache in our house - everyone thinks cranberry juice is just the greatest health drink, I am losing the fight on this one. It says on the container “made from cranberry-flavored concentrate”… Hmmm… Taiwan juices are SO sweet, we just went to Thailand and I noticed so many of the juices tasted sour to me, after the sugar-loaded “juices” you get here. The difference in my son’s appetite if he hasn’t drunk all that “good juice” is astonishing!

More sugar in OJ.

blech :raspberry:

[quote=“asiababy”]Notsu, the juice issue gives me a headache in our house -
[/quote]
Actually they should only be getting about 1/2 a cup per day anyway.So it’s easy enough to squeeze an orange.
It should be diluted so they don’t get used to a sugar rush–that happens even if it’s 100% fresh juice.
They should be getting the juice from eating the fruit, to regulate the sugar delivery.

Juice: How much is good for your child?
http://www.healthunit.com/index.asp?mode=article&lang=english&articleID=10769

"Parents think that because fruit juices are natural that they are a healthy drink, so they don’t put a limit on how much their children consume.
http://www.research.lifeboat.com/fruitjuice.htm

I think you have to be a bit careful with formulas, especially with soybean based formulas for small children.

If the poor kiddos get allergic to soybeans, tough luck then, as it’s sued as a filler in a whole shitload of stuff.

Rather stick with fresh cow’s milk - do they have it here, by the way?

[quote=“Mr He”]I think you have to be a bit careful with formulas, especially with soybean based formulas for small children.

If the poor kiddos get allergic to soybeans, tough luck then, as it’s sued as a filler in a whole shitload of stuff.

Rather stick with fresh cow’s milk - do they have it here, by the way?[/quote]

My question too…?
if formula isen´t too good and I should stick with fresh cowmilk - which brand/milk is the best for a little kid (he will be 8-9 month when I´m back in Taiwan again).
IS the milk fresh, real or just powder anyways?

you guys always are always coming up with the right topics at the right time… i love you guys :slight_smile:

the missus here is starting to ‘dry-up’ and is running low on milk… so now we too are starting to think of formula or milk…
not sure though, as bubs is quite capable of getting full on noodles and things… but she has trouble going to sleep without her milk…