Kids getting enough sleep?

I

The amount of sleep kids here in Taipei get is outrageous. Per what I observed i.e. neighboors etc… they’re lucky if they get 7 hours and that’s 5~9 yo. They get up early and go to bed late, late late.
That surely affects their schooling and their attitude in life. Kids who are “out of control” would do much better with good nights sleep and a descent diet, cutting on sugar etc…
My boy goes to bed at 9:00pm and gets up at 7:00am except Fridays and saturdays when he’s allowed to stay up till 10:30pm. It’s a rhytm we took since the very begining and he’s just use to it.
I see most of young kids his age sleeping on the way to school in cars or on motobikes and feel so sorry for them.

Thanks for the reminder that I also need a little adjustment to the way I have been handling my daughter’s sleep, and perhaps I could pick up some suggestions here too.

My 2 1/2 YO daughter goes to bed pretty late, usually between 11-12 pm. But she is still probably getting enough sleep as she sleeps in past nine most mornings. She goes to a kindergarten but I send her there more to socialize than to learn anything else, so it’s not a big deal to me or the teachers there if she is late. She comes back and takes a long nap in the afternoon. This obviously has to change soon because she will eventually have to start school.

My problem is that my wife and I work until 9 or 10 every day and by the time we pick her up and get her home from grandma’s house it’s after 10, then getting her settled in and sleeping takes a while. There must be others too who have to work late, how did you deal with it?

My kids are in bed by 7:30 and up about 6:30. This works ok for us since I stay home with them and my husband is home early enough to spend time with them. I don’t know what Id do if we had to work late though. I think it is soooo important kids get enough sleep and I find that even if my kids miss an hour sleep they are tired and grumpy all the next day.

Also when they wake up at 6:30 in the morning there is not a heck of a lot to do in Taipei. Everything is closed until 11:00am and then it’s almost lunch/ naptime!

I do remeber when I was teaching, kids falling asleep on their desks after having about 6 hours sleep that night and nothing but junk for meals. Then the teachers would be blamed for the students poor performance!