Kielbasa - where?

Any stores that stock this? I was at Wellman’s in Tianmu today, and although they quite a few packages in their freezer, they were all stamped “sell by May 2002” so I passed.

Tienmou Grocery used to be the only place I could find Kielbasa. I think Wellman’s bought their stock when Tienmou Grocery closed and haven’t replenished it.

What is Kielbasa?

Kielbasa is Polish sausage, very tasty. My stepfather is of Polish descent, and when I was a child, his parents used to send us homemade sausage (they lived in New York, we were in North Dakota). Nothing store bought ever tastes that good, but most of it isn’t bad. I used to get the Hillshire Farm brand in California, but I’ve tried others that were better (can’t think of the brands now).

I suppose I should resign myself to the fact that it’s relatively unknown here in Taiwan and switch to xiang chang instead :slight_smile:

Oh, it’s what we Russians call kolbasa. How does it compare with kabanos? [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/biltong-droewors-boerewors-etc-etc/7575/1

[quote=“Juba”]Oh, it’s what we Russians call kolbasa. How does it compare with kabanos? [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/biltong-droewors-boerewors-etc-etc/7575/1

I’ve never eaten those, but I’d be willing to participate in any taste-testing experiments performed :wink:

Bump. Is kielbasa available anywhere in Taipei?

Theres this tiny chain of dog salesmen called TOP DOG. And i go there now and then. Great hot dogs. They sell em cold too. They dont make the dogs, some others do who have been in biz quite awhile.

Maybe you can contact em and set up a Taiwan branch? I bet it would make it. STart off in tamshui or something?

Maybe i should do that??

Just buy the dogs and ship em out there and u guys set up a stall?

topdoghotdogs.com/colddogs.html

p.s. the shack i go to has this 20 something tattooed to the hilt white chick (she may be ozzie) , whos super slick looking (big tits too) . Built like a brick shit house (in a good way) and killer smile too.

Its either her or a super tiny vietnamese honey working there.

Perhaps Mr. Sausage sells it, or can make it for you.

Mr. Sausage Kitchen
No. 5-1, Alley 4, Lane 12, Bade Sec. 3, Taipei
02-2579-0396

I sometimes go to the one in Berkeley, at Hearst and Euclid. Great sausages. Have been going there since I was a teenager.

I always got some kicks out of reading all the Libertarian news-clippings they have on their wall.

I sometimes go to the one in Berkeley, at Hearst and Euclid. Great sausages. Have been going there since I was a teenager.

I always got some kicks out of reading all the Libertarian news-clippings they have on their wall.[/quote]

yeah all that BS cracks me up too :slight_smile: I dont go to that particular one, i tend to go to one in oakland

Bump. Well, for a few years I was occasionally getting kielbasa from Mangiamo, but now they’ve closed. Any other ideas for where kielbasa sausage may be available in Taipei?

I got some from Mr. Sausage, but I have to say it wasn’t anything like I expected, very hot and spicy. I’m not sure if it was linguiça or chorizo that was mislabeled or if Mark just makes his kielbasa that way.

See ya around campus. :wink:

1 Like

Hmm, thanks. Maybe I’ll give that a try. I’ve enjoyed Mr. Sausage products, but they haven’t exactly been … sausages? … more like loose meat patties. Enjoyable as part of breakfast or for a couple of sausages on the side, but not so good as an ingredient in a stew or soup.

For what it’s worth, Fulli’s Deli in Tianmu does sell sausages (not including Kielbasa), and they label them under different flavours, but while they’re OK, they don’t have that much taste.

Never seen it, ever. All due respect to M Sausage, but if you aren’t from Poland (or Ukraine), or, commensurately, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba, it ain’t one of those deals that can be faked.

My stepfather is Polish, and when I was a kid living in upstate New York, his dad would always send us homemade kielbasa. Man, that stuff was so good. I’ve never had anything that delicious. I’ve been in Taiwan for 13 years, and I don’t think I’ve ever purchased kielbasa, except that one time from Mr. Sausage. The other sausages I got from him were pretty good, but as lostinasia said, a little on the soft side.

As they say, if it ain’t Mundare

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think the closest taste to Kielbasa that I’ve found here are the plain Johnsonville brats at Costco.

1 Like

Hm, now I’m wondering about just using those … but there’s something in me that will die a little if I make chili with something that my brain will insist on calling a hot dog. “Smoky sausage and bean chili”, great! “Smoky hot dog and bean chili” is just wrong, and I know I’ll keep thinking that, no matter how it tastes.