Killer cop in US gets 12 and a half years

https://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/Attorneys-seek-light-sentence-for-cop-who-shot-13954509.php

This incident grew from gross neglect on the part of the officer.
I would say also that it is very dangerous to approach a police car nowadays without being asked to. Because the Police are dang scared (and often for good reason).

The police inside a car do not know if you are armed or not and prefer to consider you armed.

IN this case, the woman had called 911 and had approached the police car probably to identify herself as the caller and to give them some info. Wrong move on her part that resulted in her death.

I think it is right the officer should be jailed . I am not sure about the 12 and a half year sentence though. And I am concerned that many white police officers who have shot dead black people have not been jailed and often not charged.

So we don’t want a double standard.

I think the officer should have looked more carefully if the woman had a gun, but yes, its hard to be sure and both of their lives could have been over in seconds had she been armed.

Jail is appropriate. 12 and half years in this case may have been a bit harsh.

Other worry is that cops no matter their race and no matter the race of the victims should be treated the same as well.

In this case white victim , black cop = cop jailed for 12 and a half years.

Could it be as insinuated that a black victim , white cop = get away with it?

1 Like

Are there similar examples of a black woman and white cop?

would have to google, but there are lots of incidents of black men being shot, sometimes in the back by white police.

One well documented case of a black youth at a playground being approached by a cop who as soon as his police car stopped he got out and shot the kid dead. That to me is MURDER. I would have to revisit that case on google but I think the white policeman got away with that one.

Ethnicity of the either person should not be considered in the situation (unless it’s relevant for some reason that I can’t think of as I type this) nor should the reaction of the media being taken into consideration.

Reading on this case, the cop had been on duty for less than a year and had three formal complaints filed against him. He shot the victim at noon from inside his SUV (his partner was driving) without seeing a weapon after turning off his body cam. I have no idea what sentencing guidelines are for Minnesota but don’t believe that putting such a person behind bars would be a hard decision.

2 Likes

the us is a different cookie, there are so many guns. You would be a police officer and hear the shots wizzing around your ears. No wonder they become trigger happy.

Yeah, I really don’t think that is an everyday or widespread occurrence.

1 Like

Where is the actual evidence that race would have had anything to do with it?

Would have had?

12.5 years is a long time for a cop in prison though. He’s either going to have to be in PC where he has almost no social contact and sits in a locked cell for most of the day or he’s going to get his ass kicked or worse for sure as a cop in general population.

Yes and he’s a black cop who killed a white woman, and in jail race will be an issue. He won’t be protected by the black gangs and will be targeted by the whites because he killed a white woman. It will be hell, life can change in an instant and for both of them it did, one dying and the other about to go into a living hell.

2 Likes

prob this one…

1 Like

@tommy525

1 Like

Interesting that adding more non white officers increased the police shootings of non white victims

It’s not an insinuation, it’s statistically proven. It can’t be proven race was the only factor in any of these cases but unarmed black men are killed at a disproportionate rate.

Check through the Gakwer article you can see the outcomes and that cops are more often than not let off for killing unarmed black civilians. Your assumption is not unreasonable.

In Minnesota Philando Castle’s wife videotaped him getting shot after he told a cop he had a legally owned firearm in the car, and followed the law. The cop said he thought he was ‘reaching for his wallet’ and shot him. Acquitted. Even with the whole thing recorded on a iphone his story was presented as ‘controversial’. He was a schoolteacher and a ‘good guy with a gun’. There is clear and obvious double standard.

That doesn’t mean all white cops are bad or that black people don’t commit crimes, or the cops are always wrong etc. It just means there’s a clear pattern that white cops kill unarmed black civilians at a disproportionate rate.

Cops kill unarmed white civilians as well, and you can’t cite race as the only factor in all of these situations, but there’s a clear pattern that would be irresponsible and unreasonable to ignore.