Kindergarten laws

Puppet, my normal Chinese reading is shit, let alone legal shit, but your link was not to a law. I think it was a kindergarten licence. At any rate, it was something issued by the MOE in Taipei City. So not a law.

If you have a normal work visa, and you are teaching at a kindergarten, you a breakingt he terms of your visa, and can be deported (whether or not it’s a branch of the school you are legally working at). It happens.

If you have a JFRV and are working at a kindergarten, the kindergarten, not you, MAY have trouble with the MOE over their licence, but it is highly unlikely to happen. You won’t have any trouble yourself.

Anyways, I am guessing that the current situation regarding foreign teachers benefits too many people so they do not want to change it.

It would make a lot more sense to make teaching in kindergartens legal and require kindy teachers to get background checks and pay taxes.

I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that it’s not an active plot to disenchant and persecute us, just malevolent negligence. As anyone who has been here without blinders on can tell you the govt just doesn’t have their shit together.

Remember street signs in Taipei before they put in Hanyu Pinyin? Remember what JFRVs were like before the open work permits? Remember how Taipei City was ran before Chen Shuibian? They just don’t want to run shit properly and have no desire to do so. Basically a govt job is a place that fuck off long enough at to get a paycheck then a cozy retirement. Active management and a can do attitude is heavily frowned on and can get you ostracized. If you don’t believe me, just quiz someone with a govt job.

Even if you have the law as Jimipresley asks for, it means nothing. They want you out, then you’re out.

:roflmao:

Realize that, to most Taiwanese (especially in the government or business world), that is the #1 reason to NOT do something.

Yeah, but then we got Hanyu Pinyin and JFRV open work permits. Maybe one day we’ll get sensible -or clear - kindy laws! :neutral:

I find it hard to believe that the man who has made it his mission in life to condemn foreigners teaching kindy is suggesting ILLEGAL private teaching? A day I never thought I would see.

He just does that to make friends.

It ain’t working.

Bollocks, I have never condemned anyone for teaching English at Kindys. All I have said is that it’s illegal and will lead to you being deported for doing so if you are caught working at a place you don’t have an employment permit for. If it wasn’t illegal the kindies wouldn’t be desperate for teachers.

Be my guest and go teach kindy classes, but please don’t complain if you get caught and deported for doing so.

So is private teaching…

Almost impossible to prove. What are they going to do? Invade a private home? I was visiting friends.
Bust you at a coffee shop? We were having language exchange.

So I’d like to see them try to prove that one.

The point is, almost everything is illegal in Taiwan at present for a foreigner not married to an ROC national or without a PARC.

The trick is balancing relative risks, and determining how big each risk is for your particular situation. If being deported is an acceptable risk given your personal situation, and the market is crying for kindy teachers – that’s your decision. Just know it going in, and don’t cry if you do happen to get deported.

It is increasingly difficult to make a living in Taiwan as a garden-variety (unmarried) foreigner, even with an advanced degree and work experience in the specific field. This is something the ROC government should take a hard look at, if only anyone cared. Which they don’t. One foreigner is much like any other, and they get off the plane every two hours at Taoyuan.

ironlady: My theory is that no one in government needs to care because they can/do send their kids to elite international or bilingual schools, or even abroad to study. Thus, everyone else can go and take a running jump for all the politicians care. If the English teaching field here is like feeding time at the zoo with wet behind the ears college graduates, dodgy guys working the system under the radar, manipulative laobans, parents who haven’t a clue and hapless, hyperactive kids thrown in the midst of it all, it doesn’t affect anyone with real money or power in this country.

Daftest statement I have ever read.

That seems like it would have to be a bit of a stretch at least. Would you care to elucidate?

There doesn’t seem to me to be much point to debating that people can decide if they want to break the law or not, if anyone really wants to I’m sure there’s a better thread for it.

One thing is for sure Sat, we know you have said teaching kindy is illegal

I wish I could agree with you. But believe me, even if you could find a legal job (outside of teaching) the locals for the most part would not give it to a foreigner.

Point is Dan that most local companies are not in a position to offer an ARC. So only those with permanent residency or JFRC are able to get those jobs that you allude to. But hey it’s pretty much the same back in your own country that they just don’t open the doors to foreigners that just happened to want to jump on a plane and go work there.

I know quite a lot of expats working in non English Teaching jobs who are on work based ARC’s. Actually most of the expats I know do not teach English. So saying that there are no jobs for foreigners is simply not true. What is true is that in the junior and middle level positions most companies won’t be looking to hire a foreigner as they cannot provide an ARC. You get ARC’s for postions that cannot always be filled by locals in the first place.

A work based ARC is limited to the employer you are contracted to, and this is true in other countries as well.

Sattellite TV always chimes in when his favorite subject -teaching English in Kindergartens comes up :unamused: .
I know this is :offtopic:, but I will now explain how some teachers find themselves in the position of teaching English at a kindy and why I have some sympathy for them; Step 1. Teacher takes a seemingly good job at a totally legitimate school. Everything seems okay. Step 2. All is not okay. The teacher gets royally screwed by their legitimate job. They soon find themselves out on the street looking for a job, with funds running out, at a time when jobs are scarce, and with limited time left on their ARC. Step 3. Teacher finds a kindergarten which is desperately looking for teachers. They are not desperate because they are afraid of the huge fine. They are desperate because they know what their clientele want FOREIGN ENGLISH TEACHERS! Step 4. Teacher takes the job because they have few other options at the time. Sometimes, things just didn’t go well for them. It wouldn’t matter to me that they knew the risk going in. A teacher in this position who got in trouble, would have my sympathy.

It is happening in Korea. People are being caught for teaching privates and getting into trouble. Guards at apartments are reporting the comings and goings of people who don’t live in the apartments they serve. I’m not saying that it will happen here. I don’t think it will, but it could. They have that stupid law in place that says foreigners can’t work in kindergartens. There is a thread were somebody has heard they are thinking of moving it up to the third grade. If somebody doesn’t put a stop to this now, where does it stop? Are they going to say that you can’t teach anybody under the age of fourteen? Why not just ban all foreign English teachers all together?

TBH, I can see the odd doorman getting in on that action, especially if he gets a monetary reward for ratting you out. Then again, it’s still hard to prove that you aren’t just visiting friends. Personally, I teach my privates in houses, not apartments, so I don’t have that particular worry. Apart from the fact, a private would only be illegal if you didn’t have a work permit for it. JFRV and APRC holders don’t have that worry, so the work related ARC holders may have problems with that, if they can actually prove you weren’t just visiting a friend, or taking private Chinese classes…

And yes, I also think that sometimes they do seem to make it somewhat difficult legal wise. Not sure why.