Kindergarten laws

That’s when you have to leave the country but can come back in the next day. It’s just a form of hassling people when they don’t think true deportation is warranted.

The only problem with that is many of the schools I have seen advertising jobs or I have actually worked at do not want to pay for summer time vacation. Even if you have a teacher’s license and work for a government school they want to try to sign you up for a ten month contract.

You can murder a stranger “as long as” you don’t get caught by the police.

Impossible to argue with their logic as always.

Easy way to say is that if your spouse is Taiwanese, the officer of labour affairs will say “Oh, your wife(husband ) is Taiwanese” and just walk away.

If you don’t have a spouse that’s Taiwanese, they will just take you away.

But the ministry of education only cares about if you have a certificate, no matter you are Taiwanese or not.

It’s still possible for foreigners to teach in a kindergarten, that you need to be married to a Taiwanese “plus” with a teaching certificate provided in Taiwan.

I think it would be too much trouble to get a certificate. So just to work in a 幼兒美語學校(toddler english school) instead of a 幼稚園(kindergarten)… although they r basically the same thing except how they apply for the business.

You are missing the point. They do not want English being taught to children under six. Being a licensed teacher and teaching English would not make the MOE any happier.

Yes, someone married to a Taiwanese can work and not get deported but that does not mean that a degree in Early Education from Taiwan would please the MOE.

It’s the teaching of English to kids under 6 or 7 (whichever it is) that’s illegal, not so much the person doing it. My wife, who’s Taiwanese, used to teach in a kindergarten. She, and all the other English teachers, all of whom are Taiwanese citizens who grew up abroad, would get the day off whenever the govt came by to inspect. Otherwise the school would be fined - I think NT$700 000. Naturally, the boss knew in advance when the inspection was taking place.

For them, if they were caught, nothing would happen to the teacher because they are Taiwanese. If it’s a foreign teacher on a teaching ARC, no matter how the boss applied for it, it’s deportation. For APRC/JFRV, I think it’s a fine but not deportation, although I’d be careful if I were an APRC holder.

I think we are approaching clarity on kindie laws:

If you have a JFRV and kindie credentials and don’t teach English more than 30 minutes a day, it’s legal!

Teaching English to under sixes is not exactly illegal. It’s against MOE regs. That means, the teacher won’t get penalised, but the school could have problems with their licence. That siad, the MOE does allow (I don’t know how officially) English CLASSES at kindergarten - just not a whole English or bilingual program. When these changes came in about six years ago, it seemed that the compromise (official or not) was no more than half a day. But that’s really an issue for the school, not the teacher.

As I said before, the only real issue for a JFRV teacher (and I believe, but am not sure, someone on a youth working holiday visa) is that the kindergarten is only allowed to employ qualified teachers (foreign or local). In reality, they hire loads of unqualified teachers and pass them off as teachers aides, etc. Then they have the art teachers, music teachers, PE teachers etc that come in too. Most schools also have twice as many students as allowed, and god knows how many other licence violations. When they have a scheduled inspection, they straighten things up, ‘hide’ half the kids upstairs, and give some of the ‘teachers’ (foreign and local) the day off. It’s been like this at every kindergarten I’ve worked at in the last ten years. Again, if you’re on a JFRV it’s the school who are breaking the rules (a little), not you.

I get your points. It’s just according to all of the offices ( Labour Afairs and departments of Kindergarten and buxiban offices at MOE ) I talked, there’s nothing they can do and will do if you work in a buxiban applied kindy, because that’s buxiban.

“What about buxiban applied toddler schools?”
"That’s not our affair, you have to ask buxiban department office. " says kindergarten department at MOE.
"That’s not our affair, you have to ask Labour Affiars office for that. " Buxiban department at MOE says.
"If it’s buxiban applied, it’s ok. " says the office of Labour Affairs.
“What about one whose spous is taiwanese?”
"That’s ok to us. " any other question they want me to call back MOE.

They all have different affairs and they do not over their authorities when it comes to this problem.

By the way, I had talked to them in Chinese, I don’t think there’s any misderstanding with what all of them’ve told me. (Cuz if possible, I’d like to have a toddler school myself in the future)

The problem Wanny is that the people on the phone know nothing, nor do most people in the office. If they come they may be coming for you because you pissed off the wrong person. The laws are so vague and randomly enforced that to say you have an answer is like saying you know God’s will. It just can’t be done. Imagine just for a moment if a foreign English teacher went nuts in a classroom, how sure would you be about your answers then?

I c. Yea, rather not to take the risk right? cuz you never know.

And that’s the way they like it…

Exactly, or face deportation and/or a fine over a vague randomly enforced law that magically becomes clear, and stringently enforced…

And while you might think that as the laws are vague and unenforceable, and therefore you’d have a fighting chance with a decent lawyer; consider that you’d be out of the country in short shrift, sitting in Hong Kong contemplating the wisdom of fighting the injustice, and wondering just how exactly you’d go about doing that from Hong Kong. Monthly visa runs?

How does that song go?

I fought the Law, and the…Law won!

Taiwan in a lyrical nutshell. Why fight it…

The laws are too vague to be enforced. Trust me…I’m a perfect idealist that doesn’t worry about reality. (Sarcasm pointed out to those who can’t read into it on the internet).

I am just wondering,
Does the bu-xi-ban you are working at have any toddler class?
And did those foreign teachers who got deported work for 幼稚園 or 幼兒美語學校?

I personally know a girl who studied early childhood development and who was a qualified kindergarten teacher back home who got deported last year for teaching kids under seven at a 幼兒美語學校. They tried to put a spin on it that she wasn’t teaching English, but to no avail.

So, good luck with that.

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“wanny”]I am just wondering,
Does the bu-xi-ban you are working at have any toddler class?
And did those foreign teachers who got deported work for 幼稚園 or 幼兒美語學校?[/quote]
I personally know a girl who studied early childhood development and who was a qualified kindergarten teacher back home who got deported last year for teaching kids under seven at a 幼兒美語學校. They tried to put a spin on it that she wasn’t teaching English, but to no avail.

So, good luck with that.[/quote]
I personally know a girl who studied early childhood development and who was a qualified kindergarten teacher back home==> certificate from oversea is no use in taiwan.

anyways, so does that mean you can’t even tecah toddlers at a bu-xi-ban?

Any kid 6 years old or younger is not to be taught English per MOE regulations. It doesn’t matter whether it is a kindergarten nor buxiban. The only “legal” way around it is to use a private tutor if you are Taiwanese.

Well she got fine NT$150 000 and deported for doing that. You decide.

That’s about it in a nutshell.