Kindergartens:teacher/student ratio

I was just wondering if there was a limit to the number of kids they can cram in one kindergarten class. When I first sent my little girl there were about 14 or 15 kids in there. I thought that was a stretch but recently the number is getting into the twenties and I’m getting ready to pull the plug.

I talked to my sister in Canada who used to work in a pre-school, she says the legal limit was 1 teacher to 8 kids. Seems the legal limit here is one teacher to however many kids they can jam in a classroom.

[quote=“navillus”]I was just wondering if there was a limit to the number of kids they can cram in one kindergarten class. When I first sent my little girl there were about 14 or 15 kids in there. I thought that was a stretch but recently the number is getting into the twenties and I’m getting ready to pull the plug.

I talked to my sister in Canada who used to work in a pre-school, she says the legal limit was 1 teacher to 8 kids. Seems the legal limit here is one teacher to however many kids they can jam in a classroom.[/quote]

Indeed! 1 Teacher + many kids = big money for the laoban.

Quality? Who’s talking 'bout quality if you can make money?

My understanding is that while private schools have no limit, public schools are required to stay within 1:15. Of course the latter can be circumvented by having two teachers in the classroom - then you can have 30.

I had a kindy job in Taiwan where I taught ten, the same ten, 2 hours every day. That was too much even with a Chinese teacher (somewhat lazy one).

I had some gigs where I was teaching 20. Those were only half-hour classes though. Not too hard. Always a Chinese teacher right there. The older ones weren’t too bad, but those 4-year olds with the blank stares, not quite babies, mabye 4 years old or almost five, were quite annoying.

20 students is too much for teaching a language. I would say 10 is the limit. For any age. Other than that, you better be getting more money.

I have 18 right now (me and a Chinese teacher in the morning.) I thought it was crazy when I started (was use to 8-10), but now it’s not a problem. Does make it hard to get “1 on 1” time in. The 普通班 (only 30 minutes of English a day) has almost 30 kids and 1 teacher.

18 is the current limit for the bilingual classes.

At Hess the theoretical maximum is 20 students, and the Chinese teacher is just for show, and is likely in another classroom doing something else.

From what I remember, the NAEYC, the National Association for the Education of Young Children, recommends that the child-to-teacher ratio be no higher than twice the age of the child per adult…therefore, no more than 6 3-year-olds per teacher, no more than 8 4-year-olds per teacher, and no more than 10 5-year-olds per teacher.

[soapbox]Needless to say, there’s a reason why very few preschools in Taiwan meet North American standards…child-to-teacher ratios being a moot point compared to all the other inappropriate practices you’ll witness in many preschool/kindergarten/language schools for pre-literate children/pseudo “day care centers” here in Taiwan…like the number of kids who have recently died on buses due to negligence with no real repercussions for the schools. :unamused: [/soapbox]

For older ages and for cases where half the class is 4 years old and half the class has already turned 5, I don’t know.

Glad you mentioned the NAEYC. I was going to mention them along with the larger issue that there doesn

[quote=“smell the glove”]
Still, I am surprised that a preschool can even get 20 in a class. Preschools have been closing left and right due to lack of kids, and this September the little classes will be hit by the big drop in the birth rate back in 2003.[/quote]

I agree. There are lots of huge traditional kindergartens that once had rooms and rooms of classes, but now only have a few. The combination of competition and low birth rates is really putting the pressure on them.

I currently have 12 kids in my class with myself and a chinese assistant teaching them for the whole day…

I think our boss has set something like 15 or 16 kids to a class as his limit…

I currently work for Hess and it’s about a month and a half before the end of the semester. I teach students aged 2-4. I’ve already gone through 3 Chinese teachers (They quit because it was too much.) It started out with 6 students and they would throw one or two new kids in every couple of weeks. (So there would be tons of screaming, crying, and concerned and annoyed parents.)

The boss told me the limit would be 20, but when I reached 20, she said 24. I’m now at 25, and she says since it’s so close to the end it wont be neccessary to split the class.

Needless to say I am leaving once this semester is over.

My son is in public kindergarten (4-6 yr olds). If I understood the teacher correctly, they have a limit of 30 for the two-teacher classroom. If there is a special-case child in the class, that student takes the space of 3 children. So, there are 27 children in my son’s class (one special-case child), and 2 teachers. The class is actually run really well. .