Kindle Now Supports Traditional Chinese

Got to get a Kindle. Tired of reading on phone and iPad.

I also want to get one.

Simplified characters are fast to write but orthodox is the best way to understand pictograms and ideograms of the Chinese language.

Back in 2013 or so Amazon promoted its Kindle Paperwhite 2 by selling it for $US29.99, bundled with 3 free books from anywhere on the site.

At the time I had a room in my house that was lined with bookshelves stuffed with books I’d collected for years. I also read books on an iPad, a device I loved (and was on wifi as well as my cell plan), but was not great. For example, could not read on the beach or anywhere in bright sunshine. Still, I loved the Amazon app.

Back to the Amazon deal, I pulled the trigger on the Kindle and a couple years later began selling my books to a used bookstore. Never replaced the iPad. I average about 4 hours a day on the Kindle (down from like 8 hours a year ago), but I only have to recharge every three weeks or so. It’s the best reading device I’ve ever owned, by far, and in any ambient light whatsoever.

I would probably give up my phone before I’d give up that Kindle. Bezos hit that one way out of the park.

Good to hear that Kindle now supports traditional Chinese.

2 Likes

And this is why I’m so interested in getting a kindle.

Amazon ship them to Taiwan so really no excuse to wait. Second @bojack , they are a fantastic device for reading books. Would be great if they stuck a more modern processor in there though!

There’s a tiny lag if I highlight a word and ask to go to Wikipedia to look it up, but it’s not bad. Last year I downloaded all of Victor Hugo’s fiction in a single volume, a huge file. I was able to open and read from it maybe ten seconds in.

I love that I can lay on my back and hold it up with two fingers to read, so I’d hate to see it become any heavier.

Where have you noticed a need for a more modern processor?

I didn’t realize they now ship to Taiwan - they didn’t used to. I was planning to pick up a newer unit the next time I was in the US but may simply upgrade now.

Have for a while although never seen them advertise it, search on Amazon international.

1 Like

Not a big issue however I always found searching and opening new books clunky, reading and normal page turning is fine.

1 Like

The international version is marked up a lot from the frequent sale price of the regular version, so it’s still cheaper to double ship it. Sometimes Woot has good deals on international 3G versions, but I can’t remember if they ship to Taiwan. I can’t imagine reading without my Paperwhite, and I hate it when my Taiwanese wife has to turn on the bedroom light to read at night. I just wonder how easy it is to find pirated Chinese ebooks. I’ve been able to find every English e-book I’ve ever wanted for free easily.

“Standard version” with “special offers” is cheaper

“Standard version” without “special offers” is the same price as international on Amazon

The advertisements wouldn’t bother me so I’d go for standard if it was available, need to remember to cancel that “free” Kindle unlimited subscription though!

I thought they didn’t ship the standard version to Taiwan. They didn’t when I bought mine at least.

But… the ads are easy to get rid of for free. Just tell them you live outside the US and are getting inappropriate content in your ads. They will upgrade you to the ad-free version for free. They always say it’s a one time thing, but you can do it every time you get a new device.

They don’t as far as I know, hence the Taiwan version is the “without special offers” version and more expensive than the standard which includes advertising.

Yeah, people who have never read on a Kindle and compare it to reading on an iPad or phone are annoying.

Reading on a Kindle is basically the same experience as a physical book, but better because of the backlight, how light it is and how many books you can carry at the same time.

I’ve read 900 page books on my phone and I’m tired of it. The Kindle looks so attractive. Makes my eyes feel good just thinking about it.

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve tried to physically turn a page when reading in the dark!

@Andrew0409 Did you get an ereader?

Or moved on to more important activities?

I just get the actual book tbh. I prefer the feel of it.