King Charles , do you like him, seems some Canada MP's do not

The argument for abolishing the monarchy holds a lot of water!

That doesn’t sound like a very convincing argument if beginning with condescension towards those that disagree with you.

I am not insulting royalists to jazz up my argument, I am insulting them because they are idiots.

He’s turned out better than I expected. Restrained, and not too pompous. Probably helped he didn’t ascend to the throne until he was in his 70s.

Well, you know what limeys are like with their queens

Given the fact that a coherent argument hasn’t been made, I am going to assume it doesn’t hold water.

How do you expect people to agree with you if you talk down to them?

1 Like

Why are they idiots? I’m Australian and I support the Australian monarchy because it works. Not dissimilar to Canada, Australia is already independent of the UK.

Also most Australians feel similar to the way Marco explained Canadians, indifferent. It doesn’t effect day to day life in either country.

However both countries were designed as a constitutional monarchy
. Remove the monarch and the system no longer has the checks and balances it was designed to have.
Creating a new system from the ground up, when the current is working, would be almost impossible. Abolishing the monarchy isn’t a solution to a problem but an answer to nationalistic sentiment. While nationalism holds value it isn’t worth changing something that already works.

The current Australian prime minister holds republican views but still created a public holiday as a national day of mourning for the late Queen Elizabeth and has said publicly he will not hold a referendum during his first term. This shows how much respect republicans still hold for their monarch.

He is more concerned with actual problems such as a treaty with the indigenous, stagnant wages, inflation, Chinese influence in the Asia pacific. I don’t know much about Canadian issues but I assume their prime minister is also more focused on solving problems that affect people’s lives

1 Like

He gets the thumb down from me for reversing Morrison’s Jerusalem policy

God, we need another Sir Joh

I didn’t vote for either major party as neither aligned well enough with what I want. :smiling_face_with_tear:

He’s definitely an improvement after Scomo

1 Like

Marco, please hold your horses. I have not put together an argument for you. My main point was concerning Charles, I just threw in an extra jab at royalists for a laugh.

Ah yes. Calling people stupid for disagreeing with you is very funny and productive. I am sure the targets of your disdain really see the humour. I am sure they just absolutely love being called stupid and there are a hundred people screaming more @RickRooney! Gimme moar insults!

And my username is @marco. Please use it correctly.

Well it depends what the disagreement is of course. Worshipping the royals is worthy of it. As is showing support for Taiwan’s horrible traffic system. etc.

Nope, we have a duty to be polite to others on this forum. There is no justification for sweeping statements.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Off topic and a distraction from discussion

Which is the literal definition of renegade.

I don’t like the Quebecker, but I respect that their government wants to preserve their culture and identity. I just don’t my kids to have to learn French to rise the ranks of the civil service or military. It’s not a useful language.

So any reasons for Quebec to stay in Canada.

Quebec would flounder if they separated.

They need Canada. Most people in Quebec support staying at this point. The ones that want to separate are just very loud.

is it you do not like Quebecker because they speak their own language or because they do not about the KING. Can Canada not have more than one national language? For me, in Taiwan I would not say this if you did not speak Taiwanese or any other national language, as many do not speak Taiwanese and also few do not speak Chinese.

With Gen 68ers dying, the hardcore seps are not as strong. While a majority support soft independence governance (CAQ being re-elected with large majority) it is more about who defends Quebec’s interest the best vs, Ottawa, not separation. In this, they are rejecting federalist parties, at least provincially.

I prefer them in Canada, give them distinct status etc., but think the separatist parties are way cleaner in governance than the Libs who often fought against any special status.

So how would Canada do without Québec, might be like Pakistan was made into into two, so East Canada and West Canada.