Kiss the SUV goodbye

Before you insult someone because he has a SUV, you should ask him what he does with it and what kind of millage he puts on it every year. You might be surprised at the answer. :wink:

Before you insult someone because he has a SUV, you should ask him what he does with it and what kind of millage he puts on it every year. You might be surprised at the answer. :wink:[/quote]

O.K. How many miles do you put on your SUV?
What do you carry in it?

If I can, may I offer you a more efficient alternative? Not that you should care what I think about you or SUVs, as my opinion may have no value to you at all and thatā€™s your perogative.

The miles question though I have a little question about. If it is doing few miles, then isnā€™t it a waste of a car? And if it is doing many miles, then isnā€™t that a waste of fuel?
Iā€™m not being judgemental just yet, but is the question relevant?

Before you insult someone because he has a SUV, you should ask him what he does with it and what kind of millage he puts on it every year. You might be surprised at the answer. :wink:[/quote]
I doubt that. The guy probably drives like a frigginā€™ maniac. Probably has some obnoxious sound system in it too. :raspberry:

And he plays nothing but Abba and Wayne Newton in it.

Now that is just cruelā€¦ :saywhat:

Youā€™d be better off dead.

Apparently this is not the thread nor place to talk about the biggest SUVs available in Taiwanā€¦ Iā€™m not lookingā€¦ it is for a friendā€¦

O.K. How many miles do you put on your SUV?
What do you carry in it?

If I can, may I offer you a more efficient alternative? Not that you should care what I think about you or SUVs, as my opinion may have no value to you at all and thatā€™s your perogative.

The miles question though I have a little question about. If it is doing few miles, then isnā€™t it a waste of a car? And if it is doing many miles, then isnā€™t that a waste of fuel?
Iā€™m not being judgemental just yet, but is the question relevant?[/quote]

I donā€™t know why you are asking me these questions. The quote ā€œThanks for killing the Earth, you selfish bastardā€ was not addressed to me, but to MJB.

I donā€™t have an SUV I have a little 1.5l 4cyl car.

I know. It was meant to be for him, but it was almost time for work and I didnā€™t have time to make it clearer. I hoped it would be understood;(
Obviously I made an error.

No y problema.

Actually, this is the PERFECT place to talk about sourcing a SUV, donā€™t let the naysayers/sidetrackers defer you.

But, there are actually very few ā€œFull sizeā€ SUVā€™s in Taiwan. In fact more are mid-sized or compacts. Notable exceptions would be a Lexus 470 (a sleeper yuppie SUV that is actually extremely competent off-road), the Brit contingent that is 3 inches off the ground, yet touts "genuine off-road capability with itā€™s viscous coupling and 4 wheel independent suspension. Same for the Pajero.

Humvee is a rebadged Tahoe and is about as off-road capable (see Brit boat anchor) as suluvacaā€™s Prius.

The rest of the bunch all fall into the Mid size catagoryā€¦and are priced to sell. Most Mid size SUVā€™s still look huge, but in actuality are shorter than many carsā€¦For example, mine is shorter than a Honda Accord, hardly a giant vehicle.

[quote=ā€œsuluvacaā€]O.K. How many miles do you put on your SUV?
What do you carry in it?[/quote]

I have put just over 100,000K on mine over the last 7 years.

Since it resides on a truck chassis with large carrying/towing capacity pretty much any damn thing I please. 12 scuba tanks and 4 guys with dive gear causes not a whit of sag in the rear. Ditto for x hundreds of pounds of camping gear. My dining room table? Refrigerator? Towing a Range Rover off a deep sand beach?

[quote=ā€œsuluvacaā€]
If I can, may I offer you a more efficient alternative? Not that you should care what I think about you or SUVs, as my opinion may have no value to you at all and thatā€™s your perogative.[/quote]

For what I do? Good luck. And since you have dismissed the entire genre with a casual wave of the hand, Iā€™m really not sure how to answer you without sounding like a surly bastard.

[quote=ā€œsuluvacaā€]
Iā€™m not being judgemental just yet, but is the question relevant?[/quote]

Why judgemental? there are people that use their SUVā€™s to the purpose for which they are intended, and to those people what right have you to judge their choices? The quality of the places/things Iā€™ve experienced with this vehicle canā€™t be measured at the fuel pump my friend. :slight_smile: [/quote]

This thread has so much win itā€™s hard to know where to start. :laughing:

A quick mental count recalls four hippy Earth-lovers who didnā€™t complain when my nature-destroying gas-guzzling SUV swallowed up the contents of their houses to move elsewhere. I sold it but I think Iā€™ll buy another just to piss off Mr. Prius. Anyone want a lift??

You totally misunderstand me llary. Edited.

[quote=ā€œsandmanā€]Oooh! A WHOLE $4 bucks! What a load of shit. Petrol in the UK is three times the price it is in the states ā€“ 96pence per litre at the moment ā€“ yet SUVs still outnumber most other cars on the street.
Are Americans REALLY so much more penny-conscious than the Brits? If American companies stop making gas guzzlers, the Japanese and European makersā€™ll just fill the gap.[/quote]

Gas costs over three times as much as it did just a few years ago - prices have been stable at around $1.25/gallon, give or take 40 cents, since the early 80s. Yes, when gas prices jump that quickly and affect just about everybody, also leading to sharp jumps in prices of food and other life necessities, people take notice pretty damn quick.

[quote=ā€œMJBā€]
Why judgemental? there are people that use their SUVā€™s to the purpose for which they are intended, and to those people what right have you to judge their choices? [/quote]

Thatā€™d be The Right of Free Speech. (In some Constitutions, I believe).

Actually STOPPING you (Or me, for that matter. I used to have a 4.4 L Dodge) would require something more heavy-duty.

Perhaps The Right of Self Defence?

At the moment (In Taiwan and the US) its just market forces, with a (little) bit of taxation thrown in.

In the UK its rather more (70+%) taxation, but it always has been so I doubt the motivation is environmental.

Might not be enough.

yea, been looking for a full-size SUV and not much here. Not even Toyota seems to offer the 4-runner.

Ford Explorers havenā€™t been mentioned - Iā€™ve seen a dozen or so around over the last year so some dealers must be importing them.

As far as the moral issues are concerned, Iā€™d say that if youā€™ve got the money to spend on the car and the gas, you might as well be free to use it. When all is said and done with the internal combustion engine and there isnā€™t a drop left of oil on earth, it wonā€™t matter who used up more of it and the ratio of emissions/driver will also be a mute point.

I didnā€™t mention them because of the upgraded tax bracket. Itā€™s stiff enough already at 36k per annum but an Explorer with a 4.0liter engine will be nearly 50k per year.

Ouch.

Makes them cheap used though. You can get an 06 model for well under a million now.

Merc G Wagon? Landrover?

Hey! I didnā€™t say they were good. Iā€™m just trying to think of some larger 4x4s

Edit:
Yes, I can vouch that a Prius is probably not very good off road.

Depending on the type of terrain though a good old Subaru Forester would be my choice.