Kiss the SUV goodbye

Yup.

My dad’s Landrover is more than 30 years old and still going VERY strong.
I passed a Toyota Tacoma yesterday on the freeway. That’s a NIIIICE wagon! Me wanty.

[quote=“sandman”]My dad’s Landrover is more than 30 years old and still going VERY strong.
I passed a Toyota Tacoma yesterday on the freeway. That’s a NIIIICE wagon! Me wanty.[/quote]

The tacomas here will be dirt cheap soon enough. We have a few of them in our cummunity.

I see old pickup trucks selling cheap, so inb 5 years you can get one with low mileage for next to nothing. The taxes and the fuel costs will be a killer.

I suspects that parts will be expensive too.

[quote=“Mr He”]
The tacomas here will be dirt cheap soon enough. We have a few of them in our community.

I see old pickup trucks selling cheap, so inb 5 years you can get one with low mileage for next to nothing. The taxes and the fuel costs will be a killer.

I suspects that parts will be expensive too.[/quote]

Wrong on both accounts little dike builder…Don’t forget pickups are taxed by carrying capacity and not engine size. A 4.7liter V8 in a Tacoma/Tundra pays less tax than your Cefiro my friend. They also get 8km/liter.

How about a hybrid SUV? I’ve seen some in the Bay Area. The Ford Escape reportedly gets 34 mpg.

[quote=“MJB”][quote=“Mr He”]
The tacomas here will be dirt cheap soon enough. We have a few of them in our community.

I suspects that parts will be expensive too.[/quote]

Wrong on both accounts little dike builder…Don’t forget pickups are taxed by carrying capacity and not engine size. A 4.7liter V8 in a Tacoma/Tundra pays less tax than your Cefiro my friend. They also get 8km/liter.[/quote]

Hmmm, tht’s your next vechicle then. I average around 10 actually.

If you really must, now seems to be a good time to get an SUV.

[quote=“NYT: SUV traffic jam”]Just like hapless homeowners, countless car owners are now “underwater,” driving vehicles that are worth less than the balance on their car loans. And just like desperate homeowners, the sellers of S.U.V.’s are having to painfully cut asking prices.

For instance, Michael Kohan, a recent graduate of Hofstra University’s law school, decided that hundreds of dollars a month filling up his 2006 Land Rover LR3 would be better spent paying down his student loans. He calculated that his vehicle — loaded with luxuries like a navigation system, xenon lights, parking assist sensors, heated leather seats and three sunroofs — should be worth at least $31,000, according to the Kelley Blue Book.

But with a V-8 engine that gets only about 14 miles per gallon, Mr. Kohan, 24, decided to list his LR3 on eBay and Craigslist for $18,000. And yet, he told a reporter this week, “As low as I set the price, you’re the first person to call.”[/quote]

They announced on CNN this morning that GM is coming out with a new batch of environmental-friendly SUVS that will get an additional 1 MPG.

Seriously. That’s what they said. What a fucking joke. Even the news presenters seemed to be having trouble keeping a straight face while they reported it as a supposedly serious news story, which made me wonder why they’re such whores to GM that they would report such a thing when it’s obviously nothing but absurd PR spin.

I wasn’t kidding. Here’s the story:

GM Reduces Carbon Footprint by .0000001mm

Well that’s a step in the right direction by American standards. My mother always used to say that “Its the thought that counts!”

This is easy to obtain though if one waits for a day when the wind is traveling in the same direction as intended travel. Or if an American driver skipped a meal before they set off.

Or they could just ban useless vehicles from the road. Need a gun? Prove it! Need an SUV? Prove it!

There’s a risk that oil pricing is topping out. Hard to say yet, however the demand is falling off and production is increasing.

I hope that the US govt sees the light, abandon all restrictions on fuel economy and engine size, but at the same time makes sure that a gallon sells for US$10 or more.

That would be a hell of an incentive to the lazy buttfucks posing as auto manufacturers in the US.