Kitsch Olympic Mittobelia

These are bottles of alcohol being released by the TTL to commemorate the 2004 Athens Olympics. Taiwan (Chinese Taipei) hopes to bring back the gold in baseball, hence the creative shape of the “bottles.”

I’m not really sure what to make of them, but I think they would look fine in my uncle’s basement, right beside the camel-shaped cigarette dispenser. The TTL executive at the press conference assured us all that a little bit of alcohol every day is healthy, so we shouldn’t be worried about irony of any kind.

I’m not sure what the price is, but one mitt only holds 350cc of Erguotou. Ganbei.

Why are the little men wearing lipstick? I mean, I know rounders is a game for girlys, but still …

I hadn’t noticed that. I’ll have to file that question with mine about my Election 2000 Chen Shui-bian piggy bank: Why isn’t A-bian wearing pants?

[quote=“babelfish”]These are bottles of alcohol being released by the TTL to commemorate the 2004 Athens Olympics. Taiwan (Chinese Taipei) hopes to bring back the gold in baseball, hence the creative shape of the “bottles.”

[/quote]

The chances of Taiwan winning the gold are remote. Japan and Cuba will most likely be competing for the gold and silver. Taiwan seems to be the odds on favorite for the bronze with perhaps Canada the toughest opposition for 3rd.

It’s probably just a pipe dream, but Thomas Huang, the president of the olympic committee here says very clearly that the biggest hopes are pinned on the baseball team in 2008, and bronze ain’t all they’re after. As far as he was concerned, Taiwan is ready to go beyond the silver they got in Barcelona.

Don’t count the Taiwan team out. Taiwan has beaten Japan before and could do it again. :smiley:

Why is everyone discounting the American team? Forgive my ignorance about baseball, but I thought that the Americans, the progenitors of the game, would be on top?

The U.S. was upset by Mexico in qualifying last year and didn’t make the cut. Cuba and Canada snagged North America’s two spots. The other teams are Australia, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece and Japan.

Japan is a VERY strong team, in fact, many consider this to be the strongest ever Japanese team with a real chance to take out the Cubans. With defending gold medalist USA and bronz medalist South Korea eliminated by Mexico and Taiwan respectively, this does figure to be a more wide open contest than usual, but expect Japan and Cuba to win the gold and silver while Taiwan and Canada battle for the bronze.

Is that to say Taiwan CAN’T pull an upset in the round robin or the medal round? No. Is it likely? No.