Kitten problems - Please help me!

My ten month old female kitten started meowing two days ago and hasn’t stopped since. Sometimes she sounds like she is crying and it gets so loud that I am afraid my neighbours will get annoyed. The only remedy for this is playing with her with my laser but once playtime is over she goes back to crying.

I think that she might be in heat and I need to get her spayed. What else she does is rolls around on the floor a lot. Not sure if that means anything.

Anyways, do do you think that she needs to get spayed? And does anyone know how long it would take and how much it would cost.

Thanks for any advice.

Yep, sounds about right to me. Your cat is in heat, which is extremely stressful for her.

Getting her spayed will make her a much happier, healthier, and sociable cat. It should cost around NT$2,000 to NT$2,500.

Does she stick her bum in the air ? That’s what they do when they’re in heat.

Thanks, yeah she does stick her bum in the air. I am going to the vet today. Thanks again.

I believe you have to wait until the heat cycle is over before spaying.

I believe you have to wait until the heat cycle is over before spaying.[/quote]

Interesting! I just came back from the vet and he didn’t say anything about that. Although the surgery will take place next week so maybe that’s why.

They can be spayed while in heat, but it is a little more complicated, a little more expensive, and a little more dangerous.

We have spayed black cat that meows like she’s in heat. We told the vet about it, and he recommended giving her a poke with a lubricated cotton swab, to trick her into thinking she’d mated, which would affect her hormones and make her stop yeowling.

We were skeptical, but finally tried it (well, we let the vet do it) and it seems to have worked. :idunno:

Has anyone else ever heard of this technique?

[quote=“Dragonbones”]We have spayed black cat that meows like she’s in heat. We told the vet about it, and he recommended giving her a poke with a lubricated cotton swab, to trick her into thinking she’d mated, which would affect her hormones and make her stop yeowling.

We were skeptical, but finally tried it (well, we let the vet do it) and it seems to have worked. :idunno:

Has anyone else ever heard of this technique?[/quote]

The vet must not have done a full spay. Perhaps the ovaries (or part of) were left behind.

What options are there in terms of spaying? Tying the fallopian tubes instead of removing the ovaries? And why would they do only a ‘partial spay’? Is that an error, or a choice of technique?

The spaying wasn’t done by our vet, so we aren’t sure what was done in this case.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]What options are there in terms of spaying? Tying the fallopian tubes instead of removing the ovaries? And why would they do only a ‘partial spay’? Is that an error, or a choice of technique?

The spaying wasn’t done by our vet, so we aren’t sure what was done in this case.[/quote]

Yes, there are several ways of performing a spay, and tying off of the tubes is one (outdated) method. But sometimes (rarely) the vet isn’t able to find the ovaries, and must leave all or part of them behind. This is what happened to one of our dogs, who now comes into heat occasionally. We have waited until she needs another procedure to see if the ovaries can be found and removed on a second try.

[quote]We have spayed black cat that meows like she’s in heat. We told the vet about it, and he recommended giving her a poke with a lubricated cotton swab
Has anyone else ever heard of this technique?[/quote]
My sister used to use it when she was a student vet intern sometimes. They’d bet on the more gullible-looking customers that would come in. “Bet I can make that bloke diddle his cat” kind of thing. She said it often worked and she made quite a bit of pocket money off her winnings. It’s all in the presentation and timing, apparently. You got better odds if they did it right there in front of you.