Kiwa hirsuta

A new kind of animal has just been discovered. It’s a blind crustacean. Other than that, I know almost nothing about it. It’s good to know that while some species have become extinct, others are still being discovered.

What do they taste like?

Like haggis.

Sandman, that looks like one of the items from your “special party toys” rack…

I thought it was a fluffy monkey toy.

The haggis?

Wikipedia says:

[quote]Kiwa hirsuta

Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Arthropoda
Subphylum: Crustacea
Class: Malacostraca
Order: Decapoda
Suborder: Pleocyemata
Infraorder: Anomura
Superfamily: Galatheoidea
Family: Kiwaidae
Macpherson, Jones & Segonzac, 2006
Genus: Kiwa
Species: K. hirsuta
Binomial name
Kiwa hirsuta

Kiwa hirsuta is a crustacean recently discovered in the South Pacific Ocean. This decapod, which is approximately 15 cm (6 inches) long, is notable for what resembles silky blond fur covering its pincers and legs. It was discovered in March 2005 by a group organised by Robert Vrijenhoek of the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute in Monterey, California and announced on March 7, 2006. It was found 900 miles south of Easter Island in the South Pacific at a depth of 2,300 m (7,540 feet). The species is deemed so unique as to warrant its own genus and family (Kiwaidae). The animal has no eyes and is unique among crustaceans for the quantity of silky blonde fur on its pereiopods.

Reference

* Macpherson, E, W Jones & M Segonzac (2006): A new squat lobster family of Galatheoidea (Crustacea, Decapoda, Anomura) from the hydrothermal vents of the Pacific-Antarctic Ridge. Zoosystema 27(4): 709

[quote=“Rinkals”]A new kind of animal has just been discovered. It’s a blind crustacean. Other than that, I know almost nothing about it. It’s good to know that while some species have become extinct, others are still being discovered.

[/quote]

What possible use does it have for being fuzzy?

[quote=“golfmade”][quote=“Rinkals”]A new kind of animal has just been discovered. It’s a blind crustacean. Other than that, I know almost nothing about it. It’s good to know that while some species have become extinct, others are still being discovered.

[/quote]

What possible use does it have for being fuzzy?[/quote]

It has no eyes so it probably has to feel its way around.

Looks like an albino gorilla meets cockroach. If I saw one of those things I’d empty a can of raid on it in a heartbeat.

Blind or not.

Hirsute…Good!
Love hirsute.
Must be good eating.
Anything hirsute tastes Good!

[quote=“Wookiee”]Hirsute…Good!
Love hirsute.
Must be good eating.
Anything hirsute tastes Good![/quote]

One order of hirsutism coming up!