Kmrt 2007

Not K-Mart.
THe Kaohsiung MRT.

Is this going to be the newest metro system in the world?
I visited Kaohsiung a couple of weekends ago.I saw some very impressive artists’ renditions, and it looks like it might be the most beautiful metro system in the world.

But will they really finish in 2007?

I hope the announcements are in Taiwanese first, followed by Mandarin, then English (No need for Hakka down there). That would be cool.

Oh, and one more thing:
I hope they call it “The Red Line” and “The Orange Line”
The Taipei MRT would be much simpler if they just used colors for names. That includes “Apple Green Line” or “Mint Line”.

And… I hope they don’t use that American woman for the English announcements. She’s embarrassing.

Oh, and one more thing:
“Thank you for riding the KMRT.”
is MUCH more fitting than…
“tHanK yOu foR YouR pAtrOnAgE.” (which is just pedantic Chinglish)

And one of the stops is the Kaohsiung International Airport, which puts it a step ahead of Taipei’s MRT.

I wonder if most of it is going to be above ground like Taipei’s brown line.
???

Agreed, but somehow better than the first round of announcements where every Chinese placename was said in fourth tones

Sure kid…and I have a bridge to Shang Hai for sale you might be interesed in…

Kaohsiung may well have a higher proportion of Hakka residents/visitors than Taipei, given the number of Hakkas in Kaohsiung and Pingtung counties.

To answer someone’s question, very little of the planned network will be above ground.

And running to the airport isn’t such a big deal, when you can already get there on a NT$12 city bus.

The city bus is painfully slow and for people from outside the city maybe not so easy to find at the train station etc. I truely believe every OK city NEEDS a good suburban train system. Those of us who remember the difference from what Taibei was like before and after the MRT will probably agree.
The map shown shows the 2 major lines but I believe another one will also be built. It is the “QingGuai” (light rail) one, it is to be in the South side of the city.

[quote=“naguoning”]The city bus is painfully slow and for people from outside the city maybe not so easy to find at the train station etc. I truly believe every OK city NEEDS a good suburban train system. Those of us who remember the difference from what Taibei was like before and after the MRT will probably agree.
The map shown shows the 2 major lines but I believe another one will also be built. It is the “QingGuai” (light rail) one, it is to be in the South side of the city.[/quote]

I speak as someone who has never lived in Kaohsiung, but who goes down around once a month for work (used to be more often).
During rush hours the buses are slow, but on the whole you can get across town pretty quickly.
The bus system is very easy to understand if you read some Chinese, and recently they’ve started bilingualizing the signs and what appears on the front of the buses.
The Kaohsiung light rail recycles some old TRA rail lines. It’s a real shame that here in Tainan they’ve already ripped up almost all the Taiwan Sugar rail lines. Could have used those for a light rail system…