KMT Chairman Ma put on trial

i guess the police have suspected corruptions and have put former taipei mayor/KMT chairman Ma in-jeou on trial, what are your thoughts on this? I think its a big hit to the KMT and a hit on his rep especially because hes so popular, is he going to resign??

fg

He will not go … he turns with the wind like a rooster on top of a church …

Is that a prediction, belgian pie? Let’s test how well you know Ma.

My guess is that if/when the indictment comes through, Ma will resign as chairman of the KMT. You can apologize for under-estimating him then.

Ah, but resigning from the Chinese Nationalist Party chair is a red herring. This game is all about the presidential bid, and I see no reason Ma can’t stand without being chairman. Of course, it’ll be a blow if he steps down, but it’s not necessarily the boon some green supporters think it is, especially if he’s eventually acquitted.

What happens then? Ma is able to say “I did the honourable thing, was proven innocent and now I’m back”. The “teflon mayor” is still non-stick.

It’s not over by a long shot.

Why should I apologize? He’s never been the ‘honest’ man people believed him to be … he’s a slippery eel and a hypocrite.

[quote]What happens then? Ma is able to say “I did the honourable thing, was proven innocent and now I’m back”. The “teflon mayor” is still non-stick.

It’s not over by a long shot.[/quote]

:bravo:

What an excellent study in contrast it would be between the blues and greens if Ma steps down as promised. If he plays it right, this is free advertisement and it would be excellent for the rehabilitation of lingering perceptions of KMT by the middle. Deep green nuts I don’t care about, they can get beyond hyper-overjoyed for all I care since they have read-only minds.

Ha! Funny …

As already pointed out, Ma can step down because it doesn’t cost him much. He’s a canny political operator, and this is his best strategy if indicted. President Chen, for all he is reviled by certain people, is also a canny operator and his best choice under the circumstances was to remain in office (which Ma would probably have done if he was president, not KMT chairman). The two situations are completely different because of what’s at stake.

So sorry, but no study in contrast for you there.

dg

As already pointed out, Ma can step down because it doesn’t cost him much. He’s a canny political operator, and this is his best strategy if indicted. President Chen, for all he is reviled by certain people, is also a canny operator and his best choice under the circumstances was to remain in office (which Ma would probably have done if he was president, not KMT chairman). The two situations are completely different because of what’s at stake.

So sorry, but no study in contrast for you there.[/quote]

No, you are wrong. It doesn’t matter what the cost is, because that isn’t what I’m talking about. Chen knew the cost when he made his promise, and he didn’t keep it. That’s the point.

so who has the read-only mind now?

I think that Chen was not indicted, nor is wife was found guilty -> and that was his gamble…

• wait till his presidential immunity expires.
  • If she ever has the integrity to show up in court…