KMT says A-Bian is Hitler/Osama/Saddam Hussein

Evidentally, the KMT is unaware of the ‘rudeness’ of using Hitler in its ads as well.

Today’s China Timesran a full-page color ad from the Lien/Soong campaign equating Chen Shui-bian with Hitler. This tasteful ad should reassure the foreign community that a Lien presidency will surely lead to Taiwan’s further internationalization given Lien’s PhD in political science from the University of Chicago and his deep understanding of European history.

The ad ran on page 7 of today’s Taipei edition. The black characters on the left read “Change the President” while the red headline reads “End A-bian’s dictatorship.”

If CSB is Hitler, then Song is Stalin.

Evidentally, the KMT is unaware of the ‘rudeness’ of using Hitler in its ads as well.

[/quote]
And Il Duce in the background? Jesus fucking Christ! :bluemad: :fume:
I really hope this ad gets some overseas airtime.

[quote=“sandman”]And Il Duce in the background? Jesus fucking Christ! :bluemad: :fume:
I really hope this ad gets some overseas airtime.[/quote]Huh? They showed Jesus fucking Christ? How is that even possible? They’re the same person. Now if they had shown the Father giving it to the Holy Spirit and the Son getting sucked off by the Holy Spirit, then that might be somewhat plausible. It’s a good thing for the KMT that there isn’t a big block of Christian voters in Taiwan. :smiley:

Truly mind boggling. :astonished:

I mean, how stupid do you have to be as the KMT, which of course was a dictatorship, to accuse the candidate of the DPP, the party that pushed for democracy, of being a dictator?

Astounding. Watch CSB make some hay with this KMT mistake.

My eyebrows almost took off from the top of my head when I saw that same ad in the Liberty Times this morning!

At first sight, it might seem quite remarkable that so fervently pro-green a newspaper as the Liberty Times would agree to print such an ad. But when you think about it, maybe they accepted it with glee when they realized which side it’s likely to harm the most. Taking big bucks from the enemy in return for helping them riddle their own feet with bullets – it can hardly get much better than that!

I’m defintiely going to complain. Honestly, the KMT is running the WORST political campaign possible. Whether it’s Lian Zhan comparing himself to Gandalf and CSB to Sauron, or saying Chen is Hitler, the lack of sophistication is amazing. :noway:

On the other hand, this Hitler as is a little ironic - not three years ago, the DPP was running ads on TV extolling the virtues of Der Fuhrer as a strong national leader. :unamused:

The KMT did the same thing during the 2000 election.

The DPP, however, has not been Hitler-free in its own advertising, as Maoman noted several years ago.

You’re wrong Tigerman to think the DPP will do anything about it. They’re all (green, blue, whatever) too culturally ignorant/insensitive to understand.

What I wonder is in what ways does the KMT claim that A-Bian is like Hitler. Is he a failed painter? Does he have a chalet in the mountains? As far as I’m aware he never advocated exterminating “inferior” people or anything like that. So what’s the supposed connection?

Hitler is quite frequently used in politics here. He seems to come up quite a bit in speeches n stuff. And not just politics. Anyone remember that ad for the heater a few years ago that touted being German-made by including a cartoon Hitler? I think it comes from a lack of historical consciousness. WWII is taught here primarily in terms of the Japanese theatre / Sino-Japanese War (ask a friend back home about the Nanjing Massacre and they go “Huh?”). I’ve had to explain to classes of students what the Holocaust was. I also remember students who’d never heard of D-Day until they saw the film “Saving Private Ryan.”

I tried to get across how “rude” that heater ad might be by giving a historical analogy here. Said “How about a bug spray called ‘228 sha chong ji - kills all bugs dead.’” My students were in total shock. One said “That’s really rude.”

Speaking of history, don’t ya love the KMT ad with images from the Yalta conference? FDR, Churchill, CKS, then…wait for it…should be Stalin…but no, it’s Lien Chan!!! And what’s up with FDR in Nissan car ads? And Roosevelt Road? Yeah yeah I know what FDR did for the “ROC,” but still. Jesus fucking Mary.

Slurpy Cheesethrust

They claim in the ad that by pushing the referendum, Chen is acting dictatorially.

Posted this over on the “rude KMT hand sign” thread, realized prob’ly belonged here. Mucho apologimentos…

Hitler is quite frequently used in politics here. He seems to come up quite a bit in speeches n stuff. And not just politics. Anyone remember that ad for the heater a few years ago that touted being German-made by including a cartoon Hitler? I think it comes from a lack of historical consciousness. WWII is taught here primarily in terms of the Japanese theatre / Sino-Japanese War (ask a friend back home about the Nanjing Massacre and they go “Huh?”). I’ve had to explain to classes of students what the Holocaust was. I also remember students who’d never heard of D-Day until they saw the film “Saving Private Ryan.”

I tried to get across how “rude” that heater ad might be by giving a historical analogy here. Said “How about a bug spray called ‘228 sha chong ji - kills all bugs dead.’” My students were in total shock. One said “That’s really rude.”

Speaking of history, don’t ya love the KMT ad with images from the Yalta conference? FDR, Churchill, CKS, then…wait for it…should be Stalin…but no, it’s Lien Chan!!! And what’s up with FDR in Nissan car ads? And Roosevelt Road? Yeah yeah I know what FDR did for the “ROC,” but still. Jesus fucking Mary.

Slurpy Cheesethrust

One has to admit that he can rather look and sound like the Fuhrer at times, especially when he’s acting the demagogue to work up a crowd. The resemblance struck me many times in the past, particularly when A-bian was mayor of Taipei. But it’s hardly appropriate for a presidential candidate’s camp to make such a comparison in national newspaper ads. And anyway, Chen’s style has matured and improved a lot since he became president, and he’s long since dropped most of the Hitler-like postures and mannerisms from his repertoire.

the funny thing is if taiwanese are so ignorant about who hitler is and about european history, why use a picture of Adolf. I am assuming they might recognize the name Hitler, but would the average voter say: Hey that’s a photo of Adolf Hitler. Damn, I do need to change the president.

If A-bian gets to play Hitler, who do the KMT get to play? oh wait, they already have CKS.

The pan-blues’ TV and newspaper ads in this campaign have generally been appallingly ill-judged and absurd. But then they don’t have very much good material to work with, do they?

The pan-greens have put out some highly creative and effective stuff, and have definitely come out the winners in the ad war. (But alas, alas, I fear that will not be enough to earn them victory on March 20th. :cry: )

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]You’re wrong Tigerman to think the DPP will do anything about it. They’re all (green, blue, whatever) too culturally ignorant/insensitive to understand.

What I wonder is in what ways does the KMT claim that A-Bian is like Hitler. Is he a failed painter? Does he have a chalet in the mountains? As far as I’m aware he never advocated exterminating “inferior” people or anything like that. So what’s the supposed connection?[/quote]

The supposed connection is that A-bian and Hitler are both dictators, or at least “dictatorial” if you want to give the KMT PR-meisters the benefit of the doubt.

But you’re right, the insensitivity and poor taste will go right over Taiwanese heads.

I saw that… scary thing is I’m sure Lien and Co. all think it’s a brilliant ad.

By the way I think you mean Cairo. I don’t believe CKS was invited to Yalta – according to KMT dogma Yalta was where the Allies sold the Chinese Nationalists down the Yangtze and handed China to Stalin on a dimsum plate.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
What I wonder is in what ways does the KMT claim that A-Bian is like Hitler. …So what’s the supposed connection?[/quote]

The suppose connection is power. Hitler is revered in Asian societies as a man of power, who had great political power. That’s all. Just like Einstein is Mr Science is many ads in Taiwan, Hitler is Mr Astute Statesmen Power Player. That’s all. Nothing to do with real facts, mind you.

Another wonderful day in Taiwan, neh?

Wow, so happy I don’t read Chinese - now I can really believe that KMT is a bunch of Nazis, with no resepct for democracy, human rights or anything else, except power.