Ko Wen-je

It’s not one or two polls having Tsai ahead by a HUGE margin, it’s ALL polls.

Uh no? Han has pretty much nothing left. A lot of the traditional blue stronghold aren’t voting because he’s too feebleminded even by their nonexistent standards.

1 Like

And its been like that for five or six months already.
The only question in my mind is the makeup of the legislature.
Han’s and China’s big mistake was over exposing Han too early. Nothing there behind the bluster. His crudeness turned off lots of educated people also.

1 Like

That’s because China told them to say that.
Put a monkey up in a suit (a distinct improvement ), they’d say the same thing.

There’s a problem (for Han) when the blue and red media (even United Daily News) isn’t able to fudge it enough and still say Tsai is winning.

ETtoday also has the highest sample sizes, so they naturally have the most trustworthy results. They say Tsai is winning.

China Times, Want Want Group, UDN all say Tsai is winning. The media whose interest is to make Han look good all say Tsai is winning. It’s so bad for the blues right now that making it look like Han is winning would be an outright lie.

1 Like

Han told his supporters to lie to the polls, so I wouldn’t take recent polls at face value.

1 Like

The fact that he told his supporters to lie to the polls is enough to tell you how much he’s losing.

Looking back the 2018 election was truly a blessing in disguise.

3 Likes

We do not have to look that far. The last election DPP lost horribly. What makes you guys think it will get any better this time?

Hong Kong and the Chinese Communist Party feeling more and more assertive.
Han and the Kuomintang overplaying their hands for the municipal elections. They put an unbelievable amount of gasoline into that. I think they prematurely ran out.
A candidate that turns to lies and deceit(by attempting to trash the polls) when apparent that Han Mania has died down.
A candidate that walked off the job mere months after being elected and having not put a single ounce of effort into the city he was elected to…make rich.
Blue media saying Tsai is winning.
When the greens lost the municipal elections, the last election up to that was the national election that they won, past performance is necessarily an indicator for the future, otherwise it should have been blue since 1996 on that logic.
Greens waking up from their honeymoon after their thrashing and remembering not to be complacent and to put effort into PR. They certainly gave Taiwan a big pill that it needed with the 18% reforms, which angered many.
Strong economy. Economy’s been growing at its fastest rate since the financial crisis.

@Icon I know you are a smart person. But it looked like the DPP had the elections in the bag until Han started talking out of his ass and promising the world, the moon and the stars. I guess after years of the government doing the necessary, yet unpopular things to help the country, when you come out and promise candy after being stuck taking medicine. Yeah it works…for like a day or two until your stomach hurts again. Then you’ll run right back to the medicine cause that’s what’s really making you feel better.

Taiwan’s not getting dumber. The dumb are just getting louder. If you have to resort to trickery like Han’s attempted polls-sabotage, it’s cause you’re desperate. Desperate people are not healthy people.

1 Like

I kind of agree with Icon. I believe that the fish is using reverse psychology to keep people home who wouldn’t vote in his favour and firing up the prune juicers to board the bus on election day. I’ve gotten into plenty of convos this last week with people who I’d think were strongly pro-Taiwan identity and the narrative is that “independence talk will lose us the homeland!”(this from Johny come latelies and 10th generation Formosans). People are scared and Pro-big C’s seem to be offering security where Uncle Sam won’t openly admit to liking us.

That just sounds stupid. We’re going to lose the homeland so let’s willingly give it away to the Chinese.

People are either short sighted or manipulated by the media, that repeats the inevitable fate of Taiwan to come back to the fold.

An example: while in the bus, this homeless lady gets in and starts rambling: I have been homeless 3 years, Tsai Ing-wen has not helped me to get off the streets, why should I vote for her? She has an enthusiastic audience of an older guy, who replies tui, tui, tui to her statements.

You can see this micro mentality everywhere. If it does not help me, then screw all. And the media goes blame Tsai.

My pal’s hubby is a devoted Han fan. Goes to all rallies…as he has no fixed job. No particular skills for a real job like education or training. Ex military with some benefits because of that. Believes all accusations towards Han are lies, long live ROC.

And there are people like that for sure. It’s only been 20 years. Especially with the older folk, they don’t understand democracy.

I guess we’ll see come 11 January. I’m putting my money on Tsai, and the silent majority.

But the people you’ve described seem to have something in common. me me me, gimme gimme gimme.
No fixed job, wants the strongman guy who promises everything will be given for free.
I can give an amount of Fan Han anecdotes too.

What’s the silent majority saying? Well…nothing, they’re the silent majority. We’ll see what they vote for. I don’t believe Han will win.

2 Likes

:smile:

Do they actually do that here?

It is part of the client mentality from the Martial law era. The submit don’t make waves, the what is it in for me. There is still the fear of going against the Establishment, on one hand, and the being so poor no attachments are made to others. It is not as bad as China, where most humanity was excised during the Cultural revolution.

I guess we shall see come 11 January. Jiayou Taiwan!

1 Like

Wither Ko Wen-je?

According to this poll, at the bottom of the pile.

Guy

I still say he has done a pretty good job overall. The city improved and compared to the politicians before, he has been an improvement.

I feel the progress has stalled. The dome debacle—what exactly did we get out of this? Where has Ko been during the COVID crisis? The only person up front was Huang Shan-shan, his deputy. Ko just seems to be missing in action—or plotting some national level move?

Guy

This is the stuff the deep green people keep writing with their wild conspiracy. Its pretty normal for a person to groom a successor

He has been overall pretty decent still. Taipei has really improved. Not amazing, but improvement on what came before. Most people I speak to are satisfied. apart from the deep greens.

Nah, not a conspiracy. Just wondering what kind of leadership Ko provided during the crisis. Perhaps it’s just as well that he kept his mouth (mostly) shut.

And yes I agree that Taipei has continued to improve, with some minor gripes. His administration’s hardass attitude to noncompliant businesses basically closed Kao Chi! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Guy