eReaders in Taiwan

Eslite Nanjing Taipei.

1 Like
1 Like

One of many big reasons to own a Kobo, they support almost every single device they have ever released. Amazon Kindle, Barnes and Noble, tend to only support a few generations, and not every device.

E-ink readers don’t change much over the years so really little reason to buy new ones.

2 Likes

Onyx Boox gets great reviews, good for reading, notes, and runs Android so can read from any bookstore or app. Pick preferred size. I like Poke 3 pocket size like Kobo Clara HD.

Not as cheap as plain ereader.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m also planning to buy a Kobo Clara, any updates on Your experiences about it? Is the battery life still great after some time passed ? Thanks a lot. I had a Kobo Reader some years ago (Glo) but not having used it for a while (back to paper books because no travelling) i got battery completely dead.

Love the Kobo Clara HD. If I lost it today, would be buying a new one tomorrow.

With heavy reading I charge it every two weeks or so but I think will go three weeks or longer with light reading.

Besides buying books from Kobo, I side load a lot of open source books and enjoy.

Before you buy an e-reader you need to think about how you’re going to manage your books. Are you going to buy all of them all the time or are you going to do what many people do is self manage on computer with additional software where you buy from multiple sources and remove the DRM protection and then do whatever you want with the book where you can also put on Kindle or anywhere.

I recommend buying the original cover because it’s very stiff and protect the screen in case it gets squished in a bag or someone sits on it. A lot of the non-original covers collapse and crush the screen and then have other problems

3 Likes

Kobo ereaders currently on sale at Eslite until 6/22, plus $500-800 value towards books. They rarely go on sale.

All on sale.

With discount this one probably ~$3399.

1 Like

I’m thinking of getting a Kobo eReader. I believe the Nia and the Clara HD are their two entry-level options. It appears the Clara HD has a noticeably nicer screen. Can anyone confirm that? Also, I don’t think they’re on sale at Eslite anymore. What price can I expect to pay when either of them do go on sale, and are there other stores where I can get them, perhaps at an even better price? Can I also sync and read with the Kobo app on an Android phone? Do you have any tips to offer when buying one or setting it up so that I don’t end up limiting myself somehow? Thanks!

Skip the budget Nia even though newer and get Clara for a few more $ if you want pocket size. The Clara HD screen is much nicers and backlighting is great.

If you read this thread above there is info and places to purchase and Eslite, Eslite sales which seem infrequent maybe twice a year and maybe only about 10% discount.

Kobo books (only) sync with android app. Any side loaded books are not sync’ed.

Side loading of books is a popular use with Kobo as it accepts many formats and can add any books non-DRM books.

Taipei Library has Overdrive book loans but not much selection except for kids.

Calibre is a popular free computer software to manage books.

Edit:
Modifying Kobo is popular to add capability and sites dedicated for it.

Cons:

• No organic capability to offload highlights.
  • There is English - Chinese traditional dictionary, but no Chinese - English dictionary (yet I guess).
2 Likes

Thanks. The Clara HD it is, then. Is NT$3,400 the cheapest you’ve seen it? What other stores carry it if Eslite doesn’t have it on sale often?

I’m guessing it has a highlighting feature, but does it have the ability to write down notes attached to specific sections of the book? Also, is there a way around that Kobo-only sync feature? Perhaps a side-loaded third-party reading app?

Yes, can use screen to type notes to books.

I’ve heard there are ways “around that Kobo-only sync feature”.

Kobo is not android based so adding apps is not a thing. Need to modify code to make changes, change interface, etc.

mobileread.com is the spot to get info on Kobo modification where everything is mostly done and modification is as simple as plugging Kobo into computer, open file, cut and paste.

If you want anything more than a book reading experience, like adding apps, etc. to make like an ipad or something, then no-Kobo. There are android based ereaders with apps, etc.

I’m mostly sold on the Kobo, I’m just exploring what all it’s capable of. I haven’t been on Mobile Read in a long time, but I’ll give them a go with my tech-related questions.

Taichung doesn’t have that Syntrend store you mentioned above. Are Syntrend and Eslite the only brick-and-mortar places you’ve seen selling Kobo?

Yes, I’ve only seen Kobo in these 2 shops, and I’m always looking for when I buy the next one. Maybe Nova?

1 Like

Okay. Thanks!

I’ve seen Kobos both on the second floor of the Nova on Gongyi and Yingcai and at the Qinmei Eslite. Looked interesting, but I still have a Kindle that’s chugging along.

2 Likes

I was just checking out a friend’s Kobo, and it’s so much faster than my Kindle. More expensive too though.

There’s supposed to be a retailer there called BearBoss that sells them. I’ll have to check them out next time I’m there.

Nova Taichung central has Boox.

Poke 3 will probably be my next ereader as Android based so can access multiple stores.

Quite expensive…much more than a Kindle.