Koh Samui - Thailand

I was hoping not to have to, but it looks like another visa run is in order.

I will be going to Bangkok for the JFRV and it takes 10 days to process. I have done Bangkok before and don’t really want to be sitting around there for 10 days. I figure, get the JFRV paperwork in the first day…head out of Bangkok to KohSamui for a few days….then come back to pick up the JFRV when it is ready.

Does anyone know how easy it is to get from Bangkok to KohSamui? Train, plane, or bus? This time of year, how is the weather? Expensive or cheap there?

I figure, get the JFRV paperwork in the first day…head out of Bangkok for a few days….then come back to pick up the JFRV when it is ready.

Google it, or do a search on Forunosa.

But in brief, weather is perfect, air fares are now apparently NT$12,000 return between Bangkok and Samui . . . there is an overnight train-boat deal via Surat Thani.

Koh Phangan is considerably nicer.

HG

Samui is going to be absolutely crazy right now. I hope you’re not going there to try to relax. I would recommend one of the smaller islands. My current favorite is Samet.

I found the price cheaper than HGC suggested. (7,500 baht) However only Bangkok Airlines fly to Koh Samui and you’ll need a taxi from the airport to get anywhere and a taxi back and then pay 500 baht departure tax from the local airport and then you’ll have to pay another 500 baht departure tax from Bangkok. It all adds up if you’re on a limited budget.

You can stay in Koh Samui as cheaply or expensive as you like. If you’re not fussy and can do without hot water and television it is possible to find a place to stay(in a bungalow) for less than or around 300-400 baht a night.

If you go the train-boat overnight route don’t put your money in your backpack. I met someone who had a fair amount of money stolen even though she was warned people would go through her bags and take any money.

Oops! Didn’t mean to deceive . . . that price was from JDSmith. Blame him! :laughing:

Koh Samet is much closer to Bangkok. I’ve not been, but I have heard lots of good reports.

HG

[quote=“Quarters”]I was hoping not to have to, but it looks like another visa run is in order.

I will be going to Bangkok for the JFRV and it takes 10 days to process. I have done Bangkok before and don’t really want to be sitting around there for 10 days. I figure, get the JFRV paperwork in the first day…head out of Bangkok to KohSamui for a few days….then come back to pick up the JFRV when it is ready.

Does anyone know how easy it is to get from Bangkok to KohSamui? Train, plane, or bus? This time of year, how is the weather? Expensive or cheap there?

I figure, get the JFRV paperwork in the first day…head out of Bangkok for a few days….then come back to pick up the JFRV when it is ready.[/quote]

I was just in Samui, flights from Samui to BKK are just under $4,000 Baht one- way You can book on-line here bangkokair.com/ and there is a lower rate $2000 Baht if you take the 6am flight. There are flights every hour, a bus would take 24 hours I believe and there would be a boat ride too.

It is dead now low season, high season ends in August and I think it starts up again in Jan/Feb.

Isn’t that backwards ? :s

Isn’t that backwards ? :s[/quote]

I just looked it up, peak season is Dec 15-Jan 15

High season is Jan 15 - April 15, and July/August

Sept - Dec 15 is low season

I have been to Thailand several times, was there is September and could not believe how dead it was, guess I always went in “high season”

Isn’t that backwards ? :s[/quote]

I just looked it up, peak season is Dec 15-Jan 15

High season is Jan 15 - April 15, and July/August

Sept - Dec 15 is low season

I have been to Thailand several times, was there is September and could not believe how dead it was, guess I always went in “high season”[/quote]

Duhh… I guess I always thought of high season as peak season, ignore me. :blush:

Koh Samui attracts loads of mainly European holidayers, many of whom seem to seek the winter sun. The weather in Samui is also at it’s best from December through to March.

As for alternative means of getting there, I’d definitely avoid travelling long distance on Thailand’s roads.

Here’s a link for the train, bus boat trekthailand.net/map-thailand/map_joint.html
Those travel agenciers around Khao San Road offer amazing packages for travel both in and around Thailand.

HG

koh samui is overrun with wolfs (sic). stay away.

:laughing:

But they mostly confine themselves to the ladyboy bars of Lamai!

HG

Quarters, weren’t you planning a trip to Cambodia? Why don’t you grab a cheap flight (or train/bus) to Siam Reap and check out Angkor Wat?

Ah…memories of Charlies Huts. 125 bhat a day for a hut on the beach with a shower. Best thing I ever spent my student loans on. :smiley:

Are Charlie’s Huts they still up and running. I heard they might/have already torn it down.
:fume:

best thing about samui is “no name”

best thing about samui is that if you add “ra” you get “samurai”.

Jiayi is the new Koh Samui! C’mon on down south.

nah, nah a good plate of no name blows that away!

i had some no name and was visited by jesus and the devil walking hand in hand…

it was most enjoyable…