Kota Kinabalu

I lived there for 2 years.

PS you cant just go and visit,[/quote]
What do you mean?

I went and visited.

I paid less than US$50 to do it, including guide (shared with others), bed, entry fee, permit fee and meals.

I lived there for 2 years.

PS you cant just go and visit,[/quote]
What do you mean?

I went and visited.[/quote]
I didn’t even need a visa when I went. You certainly CAN just go and visit. Weird wee place.

[quote=“citizen k”]Thanks everyone, I’m pretty much set to go.

One last thing: Any recomendations for a hotel in KK proper for the night we arrive? Been leaning towards the Imperial, as it looks centrally located to anything worth seeing in the city, but just want to get the advice of all of you who have been there.[/quote]Asked my friend. She says the Imperial is alright. Free wifi, shopping nearby. The Celyne, the Palace, or Grand Borneo are also much the same. Says good things about Turtle island too.

With turtle island you can only visit with a guide at night to actually see the turtles, costs a fair bit of money.

Yes, it seems so. Still, it looks like something worthwhile. I’ve read in a few places that some of the groups or guides that do the various tours have a tendency to slash prices if you walk up and there are spots available. Any of you had experience to support that?

Well, we missed out on the turtles, but saw tons of other animals up around Sandakan on river cruises. Really fun experience and met some folk who have me convinced that I have to get to Africa for a safari some time soon. Last days here enjoying the sun at a nice resort. Thanks to everyone for the advice. :sunglasses: