Kraft Macaroni and Cheese

I bought a 12 pack of that Leonardo at Cost Co a while back and easily got through them. They aren’t quite as good as Kraft Dinner IMO, but they’ll do. I add a cheese slice for extra cheese-goodness.

I haven’t seen KD around anywhere. Any recent sightings? Costco doesn’t sell the 12-box packs like they used to, and I didn’t seen any at Jason’s (Taipei 101) either.

I think maybe I saw some in Wellman’s a couple months ago, but no guarantee on that.

I’ve noticed that Jason’s will get in a big supply of them and then when they run out, they won’t order more for a few months. It seems that they only have them every other time I go there. So, maybe they’ll be back in a month or two.

I’m pretty sure I saw some in the past couple of weeks in Jason’s 101. However, it was around 100NTD per pack (vs 50NTD, the price that seemed typical a couple of years back). I just couldn’t justify buying it at that price, and I like the damn stuff!

And no, don’t tell me to make my own. I can make my own damn macaroni and cheese, and I quite like it - but KD is an entirely different taste that does have its own place. Not better than real macaroni and cheese, but pleasantly different.

Yum. Orange chemicals.

I saw some at Candy’s House, down the street from Fuxing Gang Station, but that was quite a while ago. Haven’t been there lately, but have been thinking about making a trip, so I’ll check to see if they still have it.

[quote=“lostinasia”]And no, don’t tell me to make my own. I can make my own damn macaroni and cheese, and I quite like it - but KD is an entirely different taste that does have its own place. Not better than real macaroni and cheese, but pleasantly different.

Yum. Orange chemicals.[/quote]

Yeah, I know what you mean; it’s just not the same. I don’t eat the stuff anymore but I liked it back in college, and also liked my mom’s homemade. They’re just different. I think I mentioned a while back that the powdered cheese soup at Costco (which I only bought once because the missus didn’t like it) tasted a lot like that, so if you wanted to make your own cheaply, it’s worth a shot using that, if they still sell it. :idunno: It’s basically a big can of the orange chemicals. :laughing: I’d be curious to see how it works out.

I’ve bought powdered cheese substitute in bulk containers in North America before, and used those as a KD substitute. It works fine, especially because you can really load up on the cheese powder!

However, I haven’t been able to find that cheese powder in Vancouver supermarkets the past couple of summers. This may or may not be related to the nuclear powerplants that used to produce medical isotopes - they shut down around the same time my delicious chemical cheese powder disappeared. :ponder:

[quote=“lostinasia”]I’ve bought powdered cheese substitute in bulk containers in North America before, and used those as a KD substitute. It works fine, especially because you can really load up on the cheese powder!

However, I haven’t been able to find that cheese powder in Vancouver supermarkets the past couple of summers. This may or may not be related to the nuclear powerplants that used to produce medical isotopes - they shut down around the same time my delicious chemical cheese powder disappeared. :ponder:[/quote]
:laughing:

Back when I lived in Canada, I bought bulk cheese powder a few times but would always ridiculously overdo it when making KD. Cured myself of that evil after a few goes.

Damn…revisiting this thread makes me want to get some KD now. I don’t know if I really want 12 boxes if and when Cost Co has it again, but once in a while I do get a serious hankering for the stuff.

So does anyone know whether Costco is still selling that cheese-powder-like soup mix? Country Creek or something like that. Not for me. You know, like, for other people to try this with. :whistle:

Bear Creek. (the brand)

Back to whoever was asking about Smartfood.
You can’t get it here.
Two things:
The 7-11 branded cheddar cheese popcorn is pretty close.
And, would that Bear Soup cheese powder work on popcorn???

Jasons had some small packs going for NT$25 a pop on that shelf of odds and ends they’re trying to get rid of, run run run…

The Tianmu Jason’s had a good supply available yesterday (December 16, 2009): 69 NTD for the basic traditional, 98 NTD says my receipt for the extra-cheesy (eh? I thought the tag on the shelf was 89…). Three-cheese as well. Certainly not prices I’d have paid if I’d had the stuff within the past four months.

I imagine Cost Co will get KD back in again. Just a matter of time. I’ll be sure to pick some up when they do!

I asked. They have no plans to restock it. :frowning:

I asked. They have no plans to restock it. :frowning:[/quote]
Off-topic, but between no KD, no eggnog, no good peanut butter… I’m not exactly being persuaded into getting a Costco membership.

I asked. They have no plans to restock it. :frowning:[/quote]
The bastards! The nerve! :raspberry:

There’s lots of good stuff, but it always changes. Their selection is necessarily limited by the volume of each item that they get in, and the fact that they bid (AFAIK) on lots to get prices down, so if prices aren’t low, they don’t bring it in. KD (crap), eggnog (in Taiwan? Are you nuts?) and organic PB is not a very good set of criteria by which to choose a store, IMO. :2cents:

There’s lots of good stuff, but it always changes. Their selection is necessarily limited by the volume of each item that they get in, and the fact that they bid (AFAIK) on lots to get prices down, so if prices aren’t low, they don’t bring it in. KD (crap), eggnog (in Taiwan? Are you nuts?) and organic PB is not a very good set of criteria by which to choose a store, IMO. :2cents:[/quote]
True, but I’d get a Costco membership based on how much it lets me get products I couldn’t otherwise obtain - i.e. western products. And from reading this board, the general impression I get is that the variety of western products is gradually decreasing: all three of these products have been mentioned as ones that Costco used to but no longer stocks. (Plus, I don’t have a car, I live in Danshui, and being in an apartment limits the feasibility of bulk purchases.)

But if I want to continue this I should hop over to the Costco thread.

And, actually, yeah, over the next month or two I’ll quite enjoy the three boxes I just bought of KD, but the thought of a full Costco-sized box of 10 or 12 or whatever makes me mildly nauseous. So you’re right - KD at Costco isn’t really an incentive to visit the place.