Krispy Kreme in Xinyi

Hah, you have no idea how true that statement is.

[quote=“Jeffrey Welch, president of international operations at Krispy Kreme”]Taiwan is one of the important economies in Asia, always has been (sic). It’s got
a young population
and people travel a lot and like international brands.[/quote]

focustaiwan.tw/search/201312110034.aspx?q=welch

With such a crack research team, they’re sure to do well amongst Taiwan’s aging population. :astonished:

i’ve found that if i cook a desert or pastry with the american amount of sugar in the recipe, the locals don’t like it. if i halve the sugar it appeals more to their tastes.

Well, there was a fairly long line this (Sunday) morning, before it opened; at lunchtime the line snaked the length of the Vieshow courtyard. Odd. I’ll certainly try the place one day (and probably soon, before they localize it), having the sweet tooth that I do, but waiting like that for donuts?!

Yeah - Taiwanese don’t like sugary sweet things… that’s why there’s so little sugar in their traditional drinks that you get from the night markets :unamused: (pearl milk tea, lemon green tea), they don’t like chocolate either :unamused: , or ice cream :unamused: .

It really is weird.
My inlaws won’t eat sweet western food, claiming it is unhealthy, etc etc
Yet they LOVE to eat shaved ice loaded with condensed milk, brown sugar, brown sugar syrup, candied fruit poured on top. That is some of the sweetest sugary stuff I have ever eaten anywhere.
I told them it is sweeter than coldstone and they said its healthier because it has “fruit on it” :loco:

Some things they eat super sweet that should not be sweet to our western tastes, ie: beans.
Some things they eat less sweet that should be sweeter to our western tastes, ie: doughnuts

go figure
Krispy Kreme is not going to last long here

Taiwanese seem to like Mr Donut though which is very sweet. Not as sweet as Dunkin was but still very, very sweet. Donuts from any chain in Taiwan are sweeter than anything I’ve eaten elsewhere.

[quote=“Chris”]People are lining up because ever since Dunkin Donuts inexplicably pulled out, people have been having a hankering for donuts.

Good to see that “mochi rings” are NOT on their menu, and that they sell by the traditional dozen (the way boxes of donuts are supposed to be sold), not by the ridiculous “ten”.[/quote]
Not yet you mean …

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

And they have no idea how much sugar is used in their daily food.

Sugar is sugar, no matter where it comes from.

this must be the taiwanese equivalent of going to mcdonald’s , ordering a double big mac, extra large fries and then getting a diet coke because real soft drinks have too much sugar.

Everyone above already nailed it, its going to have a very short life.

They opened a lot of KK shops in Canada about 10 years back, and I remember being part of the hype and taking a drive over there with my friends and the long wait of up to 2-3 hours to get a box added to the excitement. The machines were whirring non stop putting out doughnut after doughnut, and the employees that would come by while we were waiting to hand out samples.

This went on for about 6 months or so… then it abruptly died. All my friends and myself realized the overly sweet, sugar crammed doughnut was garbage, and we were laughing about how we ever waited in line for it. Everyone else must felt the same too and the business quickly declined. They are down to only 5 for the whole country now after closing many stores, and whenever we go past it, it is pretty much deserted. Krispy Kreme is really a fad type business unfortunately. It is a niche business, which means after the hype wears off, it’s over.

Went there this evening but the queue was insane, people were carrying boxes of the things out!
Wasn’t gonna wait for that!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Yes, but it’s QQ lah… or that’s what they’ll tell you. The truth about Mr Donut is that it’s Japanese and features a lot of cute little animal pictures that appeal to the inner Hello Kitty of the Taiwanese populace. So we’ve got QQ, Japanese, kawaii and lah. Should have been a recipe for success, but the strange thing is a lot of Mr Donuts have closed down. My wife has to go to one of the malls near 101 to get her fix.

I was there this weekend, and the line for the Krispy Kreme snaked out of the store, across the road and around the block. I’ve never seen anything like it in Taiwan before! They had various employees outside just managing the line; and bear in mind it was pissing it down with rain!

Personally I think Krispy Kreme donuts are decent when served hot, though a little sweet and sticky. Everyone’s got to remember though, Taiwan is big on their food tourism; the punters aren’t really queuing for the food, but instead for the “experience” of this new US food store, which they can share with photos on Facebook.

[quote=“aphasiac”]I was there this weekend, and the line for the Krispy Kreme snaked out of the store, across the road and around the block. I’ve never seen anything like it in Taiwan before! They had various employees outside just managing the line; and bear in mind it was pissing it down with rain!
[/quote]

You haven’t been here long then.

Haven’t tried it in Taipei yet but I’m in Australia at the moment and saw a Krispy Kreme so decided to give it a try. Disgusting. Way, way too sweet - my wife and I could barely finish one between us.

Interesting, had the same feeling when I tried first time Mr.Donut.
Disgusting, but what can you expect from a copy which comes from Japan

Interesting, had the same feeling when I tried first time Mr.Donut.
Disgusting, but what can you expect from a copy which comes from Japan[/quote]

I think Krispy Kreme is about 10 times sweeter than most items at Mr. Donut.

I had the exact same feeling when I had one. I’d rather have an old fashioned or sour dough plain with a coffee. I guess I am lame, but kudos to them, they are killing it right now.

That’s how Donuts have to be!!!
Frakking sweet!!!
Still remember my first Doughnut in the States, 25 years ago.
Sweet and delicious.
Not this Oh-My-God-don’t-use-sugar-otherwise-too-sweet-rounds-with-hole