Kyrghyzstan - Does Anyone Care?

Well, it seems that the unrest in Kyrghyzstan doesn’t seem to be prompting any support for democracy from the United States for a change and the neocons in this forum seem to have no opinion either. Strategically located and ruled by a dictator, the recent unrest and seizing by the oppostion of key Kyrghyz towns could, oh my God, oust the President and oh dear, a democratic government could, deary deary me, ask the Amercans to leave. Oh no. Seems the US is willing to offer tacit support to a Central Asian despot as long as he offers a nice convenient location for a US military outpost in Central Asia. Bloody hypocrites. Ditto Russia. Convenience overrides democracy as far as the US - Kyrghyz relationship is concerned.

BroonAltai

Broon Ale spouting off about Bush and his evil minions. Must be Wednesday. Ah more Broon Ale hyperventilating on American perfidy? haha Sounds like the president of Kyrgystan agrees with you…

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4368837.stm

So, would you like to rephrase your complaint? Perhaps, then again perhaps not. I mean it is amusing only if Bush is to blame, somehow can be painted as inconsistent, etc. etc.

AND

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4344377.stm

Where is Europe? Where is Germany? Where are the mass demonstrations…

ups… no … I not Fred.

[Edit: an “am” would make a slim foot in this sentence :-]

Ukraine have had a lot of attention on German TV recently, as we have two famous boxers from there and the opposition leader/soon-president (or is he president already?) came to Germany and talked to our opposition leader Merkel and I think even Fischer/foreign secretary. Not sure if he met our chief of gov. Probably he is too Putin-stained for him :stuck_out_tongue:

Not to get back banging on Germany again but since Bob Honest opened that door. This is the nation that wants a security council seat in the UN because of what exactly?

I have been banging on about the importance and danger of what was going on in Ukraine for two years and no one in Germany was doing anything. If I a mere internet poster can find these facts, why the hell cannot the Fischer foreign policy team put two and two together and go, voila, it is in Germany’s interests to do something to push democracy and stability in Ukraine.

I have a complete and utter lack of confidence, therefore, that Germany and its foreign policy team would see the light with events in Central Asia. you would have to assume that Germany actually intended to do something about the problem other than to meet with France or dialogue with the EU foreign policy team or liaise with the Central Asian neighbors or raise the issue with the UN or … you get the idea.

When oh when will Germany show the leadership that it alone is capable of wielding in Central Europe. We certainly do not want France getting active. That usually leads to even more complications and problems. God help us when the French try to “solve a problem.”

By the way, given the constant media drumbeat of criticism against the US and the “quagmire” in Iraq and the lack of stability in Iraq, how by the way are the French doing with their effort in Cote d’Ivoire. I would laugh and gloat if it were not so God damned sad and pathetic.

Not sure that anyone else could do anything about a mess like this. When African countries melt down, there is not much anyone can do to fix them, BUT I would just like a bit more media attention to such efforts. If the Americans are going to be criticized like hell for not bringing peace and prosperity to Iraq within two years, what about what everyone else is doing? or even worse not doing?

This Kyrghyzstan business is just a liberal smoke-screen for what’s going on in Estonia.

Richardm:

By God, you are right and we all know what is really going on in Estonia, don’t we… you know the US oil firms in conjunction with Cheney (who is like Bush also an ex-oil man) and then the secret oil shale gas refinery pipeline recovery reserves distribution exploration transfer export-import trade policy strategies that everyone knows about…

I would have said that Fred, but I promised Ted Kennedy that I wouldn’t.

Why should we care what happens in a country we can’t even spell ? What sort of name is that for a country anyway ? I say they should sort their name out first, get a few vowels in it. At least everyone can spell Irack.

Christ:

This is what happens when the open forum funsters get loose in the IP forum. Anyone with anything intelligent to say on the matter? :smiling_imp: :unamused: :wink:

Fun scientific facts about Kyrghyzstan (other than how to spell it):

(1) Russians used to call the Kyrghyz “Kara-Kirghiz” in order to distinguish them from the Kazakhs, whom they called “Kirghiz.” (Otherwise they’d confuse them with the Cossacks.)

(2) The Oirat Khans moved the ancestors of the Kyrghyz there from the area now known as Khakassia (in Siberia). The names are related.

(3) They actually converted to Islam fairly recently, in the 18th and 19th centuries, and with Czarist Russian encouragment.

(4) The U.S. has military bases there. (For purely defensive purposes, you understand.)

(5) It is a shithole.

I wish them luck, but given that all the Central Asian republics are fragile, artificial entities (thanks to Stalin), I don’t have much hope that their people can unite for any cause beyond overthrowing the present government.

[quote=“fred smith”]Christ:

[/quote]

Yes, what?

BroonApostle

In response to the OP’s question in the title of the thread.

No.

That’s what I thought. Still it made a nice change from Bush this and iraq that.

There is more to the world than bloody Iraq and whatever happens in Gunsville Idaho.

Oh well.

BroonAltai

[quote=“BroonAle”]That’s what I thought. Still it made a nice change from Bush this and Iraq that.

There is more to the world than bloody Iraq and whatever happens in Gunsville Idaho.

Oh well.

BroonAltai[/quote]

I really don’t care about anything in Idaho and the Iraq situation has been beaten to death.

I do care about party situation in Thailand and Bali.

[quote=“Durins Bane”]
I do care about party situation in Thailand and Bali.[/quote]

The “multiparty” situation, I assume. This is the politics thread…

BroonTogaTogaToga

[quote=“BroonAle”]Well, it seems that the unrest in Kyrghyzstan doesn’t seem to be prompting any support for democracy from the United States for a change and the neocons in this forum seem to have no opinion either. Strategically located and ruled by a dictator, the recent unrest and seizing by the oppostion of key Kyrghyz towns could, oh my God, oust the President and oh dear, a democratic government could, deary deary me, ask the Amercans to leave. Oh no. Seems the US is willing to offer tacit support to a Central Asian despot as long as he offers a nice convenient location for a US military outpost in Central Asia. Bloody hypocrites. Ditto Russia. Convenience overrides democracy as far as the US - Kyrghyz relationship is concerned.

BroonAltai[/quote]

Or you could look at it this way. Kryghyzstan would be a fine opportunity for Europe to actually do something for a change. A great chance for Europe to take a leading role in something over than leading the whining and moaning section.

How about some European Aid for this place…it looks like that they could sure use some vowels over there.

[quote=“Durins Bane”]
How about some European Aid for this place…it looks like that they could sure use some vowels over there.[/quote]

The Basques have offered to help but they don’t really have enough of their own vowels.

BroonAeiou

[quote=“BroonAle”]Well, it seems that the unrest in Kyrghyzstan doesn’t seem to be prompting any support for democracy from the United States for a change and the neocons in this forum seem to have no opinion either. Strategically located and ruled by a dictator, the recent unrest and seizing by the oppostion of key Kyrghyz towns could, oh my God, oust the President and oh dear, a democratic government could, deary deary me, ask the Amercans to leave. Oh no. Seems the US is willing to offer tacit support to a Central Asian despot as long as he offers a nice convenient location for a US military outpost in Central Asia. Bloody hypocrites. Ditto Russia. Convenience overrides democracy as far as the US - Kyrghyz relationship is concerned.

BroonAltai[/quote]I watched the news in Shanghai last night and it was suggested that the USA are responsible for the turmoil. Because of the strategic location close to China.

So either they know more than we or this serves as another nice example how news work in China.

It was also very interesting to read the Taipei Times on the way HK and the forgot-what-it-was-called on my way to Shanghai, both with title stories about Ms. Rice’s visit to China. I am by the way not related to Kondor Lisa. Well, I was getting off-topic anyway.

Kyrghyzstan
I figure it’s some kind of acronym. Keep your right grubby hands to yourselves. Zero ships, tanks, and nukes.

[quote]“Opposition forces were reported in control of the two main cities of southern Kyrgyzstan Wednesday and an embattled President Askar Akayev fired two of his top officials in a vain effort to quell the turmoil. Even worse from his point of view, opposition democratic activists appeared to be succeeding in their efforts to bring street protests from the southern cities into the capital Bishkek.

“…the move seem only to boost the confidence of the democratic protestors who, like their predecessors in Ukraine in November and December, have taken to the streets in anger over elections in Feb. 27 and on March 13 this year that, they allege, were clearly rigged by Akayev and his ruling clique.”

"Yushchenko Wednesday pointedly added his own rhetoric to the forces of democratic change in Central Asia during a visit to Kyrgyzstan’s neighboring republic Turkmenistan. Speaking at a news conference with his host, Turkmen President Saparmurat Nizayev, the Ukrainian president declared in ringing tones, “Democracy, freedom or liberty are not just empty words for me and my partners in the Ukrainian government coalition.”
Analysis: Kyrgyz unrest shakes Central Asia[/quote]
I blame US President George W. Bush