LA airport calls Taiwan, 'Chinese Taipei'

timetables.oag.com/lax/flights.asp

[quote] Los Angeles International Airport to Taipei, Chinese Taipei - All Airports
Departing 10 July 2005… [/quote]

I thought this not daring to say the word Taiwan bullcrap was confined to int’l sporting events. This is not good.

next time you pass through customs at CKS read the sign on the kiosk where they check your passport/papers. i forget the exact wording but they pretty much tell you that taiwan is part of chin ain some slick legalese.

Yeah, but I mean look at all the silly airport names they have in America.

[quote=“21p”]Yeah, but I mean look at all the silly airport names they have in America.[/quote]I think the airport in Phoenix, Az is rather poetically named…“SKY HARBOR Internatioal.

[quote=“moomoojuice”]http://timetables.oag.com/lax/flights.asp

[quote] Los Angeles International Airport to Taipei, Chinese Taipei - All Airports

I thought this not daring to say the word Taiwan bullcrap was confined to int’l sporting events. This is not good.[/quote]

I think China must pass out a flyer to all outbound nationals at the airport, "If you find any reference to Taiwan, please dial XXXXX, or fax us a report detailing where and when the grave moral infraction occured…

How else could they methodically erase every single possible trace and reference to Taiwan??? Ridiculous, talk about a playground fight taken too far…

Actually, I am really surprised that they would use “Chinese Taipei.” Sounds like a nitwit was in charge. To be correct, they should have used ROC. At least that name is correct, and in agreement with the kooky one-China policy because it would still be calling Taiwan a part of China.

The name might be illegal to use in the PRC, but it still falls under the heading of “China.” “Chinese Taipei” has no meaning. I guess Hsinchu is just not a part of the whole bruhaha. So I guess flights to Kaohsiung are actually flying to Taipei too.

LAX are anything but lax.

This is incorrect. The PRC is recognized as the sole legitimate government of China. Use of the nomenclature of “Republic of China” is a clear violation of the One China Policy.

The ROC is a government in exile. See [ROC is a government-in-exile

I’m surprised no congressman has picked up on this. It is pathetic.

This is the software producing this crap:

Schedule Display Services provided by OAG Flight Engine
Schedule data Copyright

[quote=“21p”]

Anyone want to drop them a line: custsvc@oag.com ?[/quote]Done. :wink:

I sent an e-mail too.

[quote=“OAG”]Chinese Taipei is the name that IATA, representing the airline world,
agreed to use and it is the name OAG uses in its products. ISO defines
it as Taiwan, Province of China but when we used that several airlines
complained.

It has proved enormously difficult to agree on a name that everybody is
pleased with.[/quote]
And what the fuck gives the IATA the right to name this place? :loco:
That’s like giving the local bus company the right to rename the city streets. :loco:

Looks like we have to start on IATA next. :fume:

Molehill:

Mountain:

Because knowing is half the battle.

Now now Tetsuo, don’t rain on their parade. :blush:

Quite honestly I suffer from too much jet lag to notice “Taipei, Chinese Taipei” when travelling to Taiwan.

But as suggested I have written a stern email to the company about changing the naming to “Taibei, Chinese Taibei” to lessen the confusion during international travel.

I have also requested that “Beijing” be renamed to “Peking” as well.

[quote=“Tetsuo”]
Molehill:
Mountain:

Because knowing is half the battle.[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :bravo: … good form that man…

[quote=“Freakin’ Amazing”][quote=“moomoojuice”]http://timetables.oag.com/lax/flights.asp

I thought this not daring to say the word Taiwan bullcrap was confined to int’l sporting events. This is not good.[/quote]

I think China must pass out a flyer to all outbound nationals at the airport, "If you find any reference to Taiwan, please dial XXXXX, or fax us a report detailing where and when the grave moral infraction occured…

How else could they methodically erase every single possible trace and reference to Taiwan??? Ridiculous, talk about a playground fight taken too far…[/quote]
They have a billion people that are making on average about US$100 per month. Even I could hire 20 of them to work on something for me. They could put a few thousand onto the Taiwan problem, and still have one or two to spare for www.forumosa.com and other English forums in Taiwan and dozens for the Chinese forums.

Shouldn’t it be Peiping?

/refuse to surrender the motherland!

Re: Mountain molehill

Here are some other cliches you can use as a substitute for original thought.
Thin end of the wedge.
Slippery slope.

I think it’s a problem when you hear people from Europe, the U.S. and elsewhere increasingly saying Chinese Taipei instead of Taiwan. It’s like calling England, European London.
Yes, it matters.