La Casita Mexican Restaurant (CLOSED IN 2010)

[quote=“seeker4”]
Annoys me that they charge anything, much less $200 or whatever, for chips and salsa. That stuff should be free for as long as you want to eat it, like in real Mexican restaurants.[/quote]

I think it might be because too often, Taiwanese will come in and eat just chips all day. “All you can eat” is not a concept that has traveled here very well…the buffet at Pizza Hut is a perfect example.

Ronald and Amy are wonderful people. The last two times I’ve been there, all I hear is Amy telling me how bad’s business. No one goes there anymore! I was there weds night for 2 hours and we were the only ones there. :frowning:

1 Like

Roland, not Ronald.
If I remember right.

That’s too bad, but not surprising. Still, sorry to hear it. If they would lower their prices some to a more natural and effective point, and advertise a little bit, I imagine they could be very busy most of the time.

Maybe this could be a volunteer project of the new Entrepreneurship Club. The club could cut its teeth, bond, and learn on such a project, it would provide a good community service by helping to preserve the only? decent Mexican restaurant in Taipei, and maybe even result in a lifetime 10% discount for card-carrying Forumosa.com members! :sunglasses:

P.S. - Yeah, his name is Roland.

I know and really enjoy Amy and Roland. Roland used to be a reporter for the Liberty Times (if I am not mistaken) and has some great stories to tell.

The food is very, very good, close enough to the Sonoran stuff I enjoy in Arizona to make me feel at home. I’ve never thought the pricing was inappropriate–seems quite cheap, for what you get (try the Super Burrito–my mouth is watering as I write this).

The lack of business is probably due to location. It isn’t hard to find them, but the lane they are in isn’t exactly filled with shops and restaurants.

If you’ve got some time and a hankering for good Mexican food, go to La Casita. It really is the best Mexican food in town.

Is La Casita actually on FuXing North Rd, close to the NanJing intersection?

Regarding good Mexican, I was pretty impressed with a place on XinSheng, in between HePing and Roosevelt … I forget the name, but I figure someone else will chime in and provide it.

Jonnyspermz wrote:

Not on Fuxing but in a lane just off of it:

Songjiang Rd, Lane 64, No. 7, 1F (near the Chang An E. Rd intersection)
Tel: 2531-9246

The name is Tequila Sunrise. I quite agree with you. Their address is:

42 Hsing Sheng S. Rd., Sec 3
Tel: 2362-7563

IMO, if you’re looking for ambience, got to Tequila Sunrise; if you’re looking for very friendly service and delicious food, try La Casita.

Shame they can’t do a merger. :s

[quote=“Stray Dog”]IMO, if you’re looking for ambience, got to Tequila Sunrise; if you’re looking for very friendly service and delicious food, try La Casita.

Shame they can’t do a merger. :s[/quote]

I might be wrong, but as I recall, Tequila Sunrise was opened by someone who had worked at La Casita for a couple of months.

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“Stray Dog”]IMO, if you’re looking for ambience, got to Tequila Sunrise; if you’re looking for very friendly service and delicious food, try La Casita.

Shame they can’t do a merger. :s[/quote]

I might be wrong, but as I recall, Tequila Sunrise was opened by someone who had worked at La Casita for a couple of months.[/quote]
And kept their eyes, nose and mouth closed the entire time they were there. I had the misfortune of agreeing to meet someone there (Tequila Sunrise) the other night. Thank god I wasn’t there to eat, because it looked as bad as it ever did and I heard the folk at the next table complaining about the long wait and cold food.
I can only surmise that the Taida students like it, but it sure isn’t because it serves good Mexican.
Avoid.

I have had the misfortune of dining at La Casita with it’s cramped, overlit, uncomfortable dining area, faux Mexican food and smug attitude. Avoid.

On the other hand I have recently enjoyed a dinner at Tequila Sunrise with it’s more comfortable dining room with a view of Tai Da, tasty (IMO) Mexican food (though no more or less faux than any others in town) and friendly service.

To each his own.

You are correct of course, that to each his own.

That is fine.

All the more for Comrade, Sandman, and me! And we are hungry.

It’s not perfect, but it will have to do until I open mine.

:banana: :hungry: :beer: :banana:

[quote=“elektronisk”]You are correct of course, that to each his own.

That is fine.

It’s not perfect, but it will have to do until I open mine.

:banana: :hungry: :beer: :banana:[/quote]
What’s the deal, man, is your Enter key stuck?? :wink:

Some people just don’t understand dramatic pause.

I was riveted by elektronisk’s post!

[quote=“elektronisk”]You are correct of course, that to each his own.

That is fine.

[/quote]

Add me, and each of the dozen or so people I’ve brought with me to La Casita in the past, to that list.

And the owners are among the friendliest people you’ll meet in Taiwan.

[quote=“Interlocutor”]I have had the misfortune of dining at La Casita with it’s cramped, overlit, uncomfortable dining area, faux Mexican food and smug attitude. Avoid.

On the other hand I have recently enjoyed a dinner at Tequila Sunrise with it’s more comfortable dining room with a view of Tai-Da, tasty (IMO) Mexican food (though no more or less faux than any others in town) and friendly service.

To each his own.[/quote]

I have to agree. The place should be avoided. Leave it to the die-hard fans.

• 160 NT for 14 nachos and a tiny cup of bleedingly hot salsa. Be prepared to cough up 60 NT for some guacamole to take the edge off the salsa. At the very least there should be a warning about the intensity of heat.

• 100+ NT for a mildly alcoholic margarita. I think they may have accidentally spilled a drop of tequila into it. I actually double-checked the menu to make sure it didn’t say “virgin margaritas.”

• 200+ NT for a 1/3 scale model of a tamale. Bland.

• Actually everything was pretty bland except for the salsa, of course, which was just pure pain. Very few spices that I could actually taste.

• Wife’s digestive tract was seriously messed up for two days after eating the burrito. Mine less so, but I only had a few bites of hers.

• I was treated well while the wife was treated like dirt. The service seemed to enjoy fawning over the foreigners at the table while giving the Taiwanese an icy shoulder.

I don’t care if it was “authentic” (whatever that is), it was just plain terrible. Skip it!

[quote=“Interlocutor”]Jonnyspermz wrote:

Not on Fuxing but in a lane just off of it:

Songjiang Rd, Lane 64, No. 7, 1F (near the Chang An E. Rd intersection)
Tel: 2531-9246

[/quote]
BTW, info up there is right, except the Fushing part. It has nothing to do with Fushing Rd. The lane is off SongJiang Rd, on the west side, and once on the lane, the restaurant is on the north side, as I recall.

Maybe I’ve lowered my standards a bit after being in Taiwan for two years, but the burritos and fajitas at Tequila Sunrise were good (not great). I don’t recall the nachos being so bad. I know this is not a ringing endorsement, but I was shocked to read the negative reviews that followed my post. To anyone who hasn’t yet checked out the place, I still recommend giving Tequila Sunrise a chance. From my experience, first dining there late 2003 and then many times since them, as recently as the past couple of months, the quality of the food has gotten better (but the service is nothing special; and not to open a new can of worms, but why can’t an eating establishment like that spring for a bar of frickin’ soap in the bathroom?!). I’ll get to La Casita as soon as I can find it by scooter. Thanks for the help, Seeker and Interloc …

I’d be interested in what you find out jonnyspermz. Please, let us know. Thanks.

Not to be too nitpicky (too late, hehe), but my 1st attempt to visit La Casita was foiled. We called them to get specific directions and book a table, and were told quite sternly that they were far away (that was my girlfriend’s 1st query to them). Whomever answered the phone was pretty rude! I got some delicious eats at Alleycat’s instead (NEVER a disappointment there, but that’s a different thread altogether) …