La Casita Mexican Restaurant (CLOSED IN 2010)

Thanks Blueface. I read your post around 11:00 am and was eating a super burrito an hour later.

I went and had my super burrito last night and a bottle of Corona (If only they could serve Negra Modello :sunglasses: ). There are just five tables in the shop that accommodate a total of 24. Amy said they don’t make Mexican for lunch as a rule (most of the Chinese office workers around there are not used to eating something so foreign for lunch). Instead, she makes pasta or Chinese set meals, depending on her mood. But she added she can provide Mexican “on demand” if anyone asks for it during lunch hours.

The sign above the door says “since 1988.” Old-timers would know that it’d be more precise to say, “moved five times since 1988” (due to MRT construction, rent hike, and bad partner). But Amy promised that this time they’re here to stay.

By the way, they’re “considering” closing on Mondays (this is their first week after all), so call first.

I went there today with a date. We had the enchiladas and a super burrito, with a we bit of alchohol.

I think I can continue to face life now.

If you like Mexican food, it ain’t exactly like it would be at home, but it’s good enough that you’ll enjoy it.

[quote=“Tomas”]Halla-fucking-luyah! I was near death from deprivation.

If you like Mexican food, it ain’t exactly like it would be at home, but it’s good enough that you’ll enjoy it.[/quote]
Would home just happen to be somewhere within a 300 mile radius of San Antonio?

Went there last Sunday with the GF and had a great meal. The super wet burrito was everything I had hoped for. Amy was very nice and more than happy to help my GF understand the menu. She asked me how I knew the place and I said forumosa to which she said, oh, Blueface. :smiley:

Going there again tonight with some friends. Super Burrito in my belly!

[quote=“FEI”]Went there last Sunday with the GF and had a great meal. The super wet burrito was everything I had hoped for. Amy was very nice and more than happy to help my GF understand the menu. She asked me how I knew the place and I said forumosa to which she said, oh, Blueface. :smiley:

Going there again tonight with some friends. Super Burrito in my belly![/quote]

Damn! I had thought about going tonite but the wife said we can’t until the baby is one month old. I think the kid needs a jalapeno. :laughing:

Went there last night and also got the “Oh, Blueface” reaction when asked how I found them. Damn that was good Mexican after a long drought.

Hehehe, I got the “Oh, Blueface” reaction too when I first went there. Supposedly they never advertise, but instead rely on word of mouth among their friends to get the word out.

Went there tonight for the first time, and it was as good as you guys say. Amy is very outgoing and very helpful. I was very impressed she had sopapillas on the menu. I was too stuffed to try, but I seldom see sopapillas outside of New Mexico. I’ll definitely be back to try. Amy says they are definitely closed on Mondays now, and Friday and Saturday is busy so she recommends other nights. If you are sensitive to spiciness, beware that they like to smother things in salsa and jalapenos, so be sure to say something if you’d rather have it mild.

When I went, I asked for the food to be spicy but it was not. Stupidly, I didn’t ask if they have hot sauce (habenero).
Do you know if they have such firebreathing additives?

She asked if we wanted hot or medium spicy salsa, and the medium had a pretty good kick, so ask for some spicy salsa next time and that should do it.

La Casita will have Tamales on Christmas day.

Are they still located on Jilin? Near what cross street?

They are near the intersection of Songjiang and Changan roads. Go back one page for the exact address.

I read all the mexican threads and it wasn’t in there…
Where is it?
I’ll be taking a scooter…

Thanks!

[url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/la-casita-mexican-restaurant/2526/19 the seach function wonderful?[/url] :wink:
(Obtained by typing “La Casita” into the search box.)

went there tonight… lovely. recommended.

Pretty expensive. NT$200 for a nacho and they charge you an extra NT60 for a measly cup of salsa. Portions are pretty small for the price.

Have to agree that it’s pricey and not that generous. An additional warning: Be careful of the spicy food. The non-spicy is pretty spicy already. “Spicy” is very hot. So hot that I didn’t enjoy eating my meal the one time I asked for spicy.

Annoys me that they charge anything, much less $200 or whatever, for chips and salsa. That stuff should be free for as long as you want to eat it, like in real Mexican restaurants.

All said, it is the best Mexican food I’ve found in Taipei.

I was just relieved that La Casita was the first place in Taiwan where “chips and salsa” didn’t involve cheesy Doritos that made my fingers orange.

Regarding the spicy salsa, I found that the fresh guacamole is a good antidote.